Cecil's law

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
I sent this to our (SSI) attorneys. They are on it and watching it very close..

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2016/TOB/s/2016SB-00227-R00-SB.htm

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.24.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.25.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.25.42 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Is this still in committee? Or is it actually coming to a vote?

No it is not voted on yet.....

legislation like this is concerning- not just for residents of the state that are planning future hunts, but anyone that might move to Connecticut. As I'm reading that- unless you possessed the trophy in Connecticut prior to the passage of the law, its illegal. So, if you currently live in TX and legally hunt any of the listed game, then move to Connecticut sometime after the law is passed, you can't bring your legally hunted trophies with you...

please correct me if I am misreading...

How can a state outlaw what is federally legal. Now they say you can not have in posession. What if my company moves me to that place? Do I sell my property......? Oh no you can't do that either! Idiots!

Not sure if this will go anywhere, but who ever wrote it: (1) does not know what are the big five (2) that some african lions are ok.

More importantly, are SCI lawyers on it?

I have a pair of shooting sticks with elephant leather tops.... oh yeah, a pair of courtney shoes? This is from the state that USED to make most of our guns. Idiots

Not sure if this will go anywhere, but who ever wrote it: (1) does not know what are the big five (2) that some african lions are ok.

More importantly, are SCI lawyers on it?

Is SCI on this ....... NO..... SCI is asleep at the wheel.

We need to hold SCI's feet to the fire and protect the members.
Look at what happened when the whole Cecil thing came out.
SCI's stance was to place the PH and hunter on suspension without knowing the facts......

SCI's stance was to place the PH and hunter on suspension without knowing the facts......

And I don't think SCI ever removed the hunter's suspension, did they?

They would probably point to his earlier infraction, but they sure seemed to try and get away from that as quickly and totally as possible.

Wow, hope for the residents of this state that this doesn't pass.

@rinehart0050 ,

It seems that this would indeed do as your asking, that if one moves from a state with legally possessed and taken game to Conn, that you could not take your stuff with you, much like if someone moves to California with a legally harvested and possessed Mountain Lion, they cant take it across the state line, which is insanity!

More unintelligent legislation........

Is SCI on this ....... NO..... SCI is asleep at the wheel.

We need to hold SCI's feet to the fire and protect the members.
Look at what happened when the whole Cecil thing came out.

Well at least SCI has it up on their web site. Another bill in CT would prohibit the the sale or trade of Ivory and Rhino horn

How can a state outlaw what is federally legal. Now they say you can not have in posession. What if my company moves me to that place? Do I sell my property......? Oh no you can't do that either! Idiots!
The 10th amendment to the US Constitution says they can
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."
I am 100% opposed to this Cecil law but 100% for the 10th amd. Either one is serious about states rights or they're not.

I do think if challenged it would be deemed in part or all unconstitutional in an appellate court. Crap like this happens all the time. I think the possession part of this law as well as the import ban on legally obtained trophies would be struck down.

Gizmo the power to regulate international commerce is granted to the Feds. Legally hunted animals from foreign country's brought here as finished or unfinished taxidermy is regulated by the Feds. So I think you are correct if passed and challenged in court it would be struck down! Let's hope anyway!
As for states rights my ancestors fought for them and the courts have chopped away at them ever since. Can you tell me of any case in the last say 50 years where under the 10 th states have prevailed against the federal government?
Sadly I can think of nothing....from voting rights to Obama care!

Gizmo the power to regulate international commerce is granted to the Feds. Legally hunted animals from foreign country's brought here as finished or unfinished taxidermy is regulated by the Feds. So I think you are correct if passed and challenged in court it would be struck down! Let's hope anyway!
As for states rights my ancestors fought for them and the courts have chopped away at them ever since. Can you tell me of any case in the last say 50 years where under the 10 th states have prevailed against the federal government?
Sadly I can think of nothing....from voting rights to Obama care!
Yes I can .... how about legalizing marijuana? Still a federal crime but legal in 5 states. SCOTUS just struck down a suit brought by Okla and Neb. about enforcement and expense to police our borders from Colo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg