Cartridge for the Big 5 that is usable outside of Africa as well

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Koburn, May 4, 2018.

1. Aegis

Aegis AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa
    Personally, I went to Africa with a Ruger scout rifle in .308, and a Ruger M77 African in .375 Ruger...and with the right ammunition, those two rifles will handle anything I aspire to hunt in either North America or Africa.

For Africa, I took Hornady Precision Hunter 178-grain ELD-X for the .308, and Hornady Superformance 250-grain GMX for the .375. Killed springbok, impala, and bushbuck with the .308, zebra with the .375. (Bushbuck is the only one that required more than one shot, and that was my fault.)

2. 1dirthawker

1dirthawker AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    koburn,

everyone has their opinions, here is mine. an 06 and a 375 h&h/375 ruger.

06 will handle smaller game to 350 yards no problem.

375 will handle bigger game out to 200 (about as far as you want to shoot bigger stuff and waaaaay farther than you want to shoot dangerous game.

the 375 will too great service to 400 yards if you know your gun, have shot 1 moose and 1 caribou at 409 and 405 yards respectively.

thats for 2 guns. y9u gotta have a 22 and a 12 gauge too.

i was never a fan of the 30-06, but....it just works. not as flat shooting as a 300 win, but plenty adequate at hunting ranges. if its too far for a 06, you probably need to get closer!

also, the 06 and 375 have a very similar bullet trajectory.

Ridgewalker likes this.

3. Bushpig4Ever

Bushpig4Ever AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Custodians
    Hunted:
    Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
    Hi Koburn, thanks for your great post, I enjoyed it tremenously. When I was younger I owned many rifles but now only four: Krieghoff Classic Big Five in 9,3x74 R - Krieghoff Hubertus single shot rifle in 6,5x57R - Ferlach Cape Gun with hammers in 9,3x72R - 16/65 - pre-64 Winchester 94 in .30-30.

I‘m a German forester living in South Africa since 35 years. My 9,3 is fine for buffalo, hippo and anything else on four legs. Even if you would pay for it I would never ever shoot an elephant, my battery is ideal for my purposes and I won‘t sell one of the rifles.

Ridgewalker and BobT like this.

4. Kevin Peacocke

Kevin Peacocke AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Cleveland Gun Club
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
    Koburn, we sound like the same person in different hide. I dont know how old this thread is, but ill post anyway. What did you eventually buy? I settled on a Ruger No1 in 375 H&H, compact, minimalist, beautiful. And i am not fond of bolt actions, just too long and barrel heavy. So what of the second rifle? I chose a Marlin in 30-30. Such a neat design, compact, fast and also beautiful. So far i have taken a buffalo, a zebra and a warthog with the 375, and plan to shortly hunt gemsbok, springbok and red hartebeest with the Marlin. But you cant sleep with any of these, for that you need a double. I have been looking at a Verney Carron in 450/400 and a Chapuis in 9.3x74R. They are both beautiful, maybe the Verney has that edge, but i love the idea of the smaller cartridge. It is legal for buffalo in enough countries, and we will always hunt private land anyway. I wont ever shoot elephant, so this 9.3 could well end up between the sheets. I am also not a recoil fan. Can handle it, but why take more than the 375 dishes out?

5. flat8

flat8 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    This is a great thread.

As for me, if you’d asked me this 15 years ago I would’ve said a .30-06 is all I need. I successfully hunted everything from coyote to kudu with mine with no lost animals. Feeling the need to mess with success, I began to focus on the .300 Win Mag. Then, on a whim, I bought a .270 and since then I would gladly give up my .300 and reluctantly my 06’ in favor of my .270 Winchester. It has become my favorite round for everything from mule deer down.

This year I took a cow elk with my 375 H&H - and she did not take a single step. To me, the .375 is much more effective on game and more pleasurable to shoot than my .300 Win Mag .... and now I’m having a hard time wondering when I will ever pull out the .300 to hunt anything (at distances I will shoot) in the future.

So… With all that in mind, if I had to pick a single gun for North America outside of grizzly country it would probably be a .270. If I had to pick a single gun for the dangerous parts of N America and the world, it would no doubt be the 375.

Ridgewalker likes this.

6. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    The answer is: 9,3x64 in a Mauser M98,.... "For all game of this planet".....the advertising was in 1927, when it was introduced!

It will flatten King Kong, Yeti, Bigfoot, Godzilla and the TRex….

HWL

Ridgewalker and flat8 like this.