Carrying your rifle in the bush

Maybe that's the name of the school?
From the #270 I'd guess it's the one located in Paulden AZ.
Let's try it this way, Gun Site is the school with the 270 rifle class (course number, not rifle caliber). Randy Cain is a separate entity. For some reason a moderator altered my post.

It depends of course on the situation. Much of the time ill just have it pointing up until closing in on a stalk. Sometimes when in thick brush and people in close proximity ill have it slung muzzle down.

I always have a sling on my rifles. My father was a marksmanship and NRA safety instructor so I shot a lot of 4 position small bore in competition as a kid. He insisted on proper use of a sling in target shooting and when hunting. I usually use the sling as an aid when shooting at any great distance - single wrap and sitting position works well for me.

I used to always use a 'Whelen' sling, but have switched to the Trader Keith web sling. It is a bit lighter and more comfortable to carry - nonslip. Also better looking, if that counts for anything.

I do a lot of bird hunting behind my setters and carry a light SxS in my hands. Never used a sling on a shotgun at all.

I also carry my binos under my right armpit safe in any weather and instantly available - no harness or bag/case used. Ammo slide, knife and Leatherman on my belt.

Sticks are OK (if someone else is carrying them), but I prefer sitting position with a sling, a backpack, or a handy rock or tree as a rest. Different strokes.

In my case it depends on the specific rifle, terrain and situation. To be honest I switch around all the time, probably not ideal but muzzle control always in mind. I've got good slings, and other average ones that I use less often.

Different rifles just carry better in different positions in my opinion. Enjoyed reading this thread though, probably not too may wrong answers.

Exactly as @IvW. Left shoulder, muzzle down, strap to the front. Lightning fast and nothing to grab a branch. I use it for PG and DG.
Question to all the "muzzle-down" sling users - do you orientate your sling upside down too? I.e. the thick, shoulder-pad section of the sling is closest to the butt and the thin section closest to the barrel swivel?

I have only occasionally used the muzzle down sling carry method, usually in thick bush, but have found it uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. Including the thin section of the strap (mounted to butt swivel) being uncomfortable on the shoulder. It never occurred to me to switch the strap around and see how that would feel.

You are referring to a cobra style strap, where one end is wider than the other. My slings are designed to aid my shooting and are all the same width, so top or bottom doesn't matter for that aspect. I'd have to measure to be sure, but I believe they are 1.5" wide.

I carry my 375 H&H double without sling, and position depends on how close to game we are. My 416 Rigby is a bit heavy, so I have a sling on it.

Question to all the "muzzle-down" sling users - do you orientate your sling upside down too? I.e. the thick, shoulder-pad section of the sling is closest to the butt and the thin section closest to the barrel swivel?

I have only occasionally used the muzzle down sling carry method, usually in thick bush, but have found it uncomfortable for a variety of reasons. Including the thin section of the strap (mounted to butt swivel) being uncomfortable on the shoulder. It never occurred to me to switch the strap around and see how that would feel.
Use a 2 inch canvas strap same size all the way up or down

I have the wide portion toward the butt of the rifle. QD swivels make it easy to reverse when I'm riding the wheeler and sling it diagonally, muzzle up, rifle in front so it doesn't pound my back.

I think its pretty typical to find just what you said! On the shoulder while walking distance or in the clear but when you head into bush you always pull it off your shoulder to keep from snagging on everything...and it also helps to be ready to make snap shots when in thicker brush. As far as comfort goes...go for slings that provide just that! LOL! I have a friend that i watched switch his rifle back and forth between shoulders dozens and dozens of times and i finally took an extra i had and let him borrow it. He had a super nice looking leather sling with all kinds of art work done on it and it looked super nice....but stunk for comfort! LOL! The one i gave him which was an 3HGR made in Finnland and can be had for around $70-$80 and it has real world usable features and its COMFORTABLE as well as helps steady the rifle for shooting. Has an ingenious extra feature for longer walks etc. Ill post the shortcut too it in the posting below so in case they delete it wont delete this entire post. I also have a couple of older HEAVY DUTY neoprene slings that work for heavy rifles really well as far as comfort goes. I always have a sling on my rifles. One of the models even allows you to quickly grab around a tree, pole, ??? to use as rest! LOL! Never used it but for stand hunting or if you had the right tree handy.....???

You can carry like 3 different ways as far as sling make up goes and then muzzle up/muzzle down etc. It even has a hand/thump grab to support, quick adjustment and shooting support. I love mine and just ordered a couple more for my son etc. They make a few different models but main two for rifle hunting are the Original 3HGR, 3HGR Light, 3HGR Overberget as well as shotgun slings and others. Go to company website to see all the different sling models.

check out the 3HGR video and see what you think and I IN NO WAY HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THIS COMPANY OR ANY COMPANY THAT SELLS THEM AND I DONT EVEN OWN STOCK IN THE COMPANY! LOL!

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.02 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.03 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.05 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 44
I have been using the Bonnie Parker sling for years in Africa.

Boonie Packer Safari Sling Nylon

This allows me to keep my hands free and I place the rifle barrel down across my back while keeping my binos easily accessible on a chest strap in the front.

HH

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.33 PM.png
    907.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 6.26.37 PM.png
    460.9 KB · Views: 52
I’ll be using an Els cavas sling for my .416 Rigby, I’m trying different kinds of carry, to see what is comfortable.

On a tangent to carrying your rifle, do any of the experienced DG hunters/PH’s have any input on binocular carry? On a thin harness, high up in the middle of the chest, or rather crossing from strong shoulder and resting on the off hand hip?

Recently saw a video of a mr Sullivan, who made his thoughts, on carrying with a harness, very clear, without ever explaining why. Very ‘confident’ character he is.

But his point of carrying when following wounded DG, barrel down, stock in you arm pit perhaps has merit, compared to barrel up holding in front of you.

Along with a military sling, I’ve been using one of these. Better balance for me and avoids neck strain.
1660045167913.jpeg

Use a good rubber sling for plains game hunting. I use Slogan outdoors sling and it’s been fantastic. I carry binos in a bino pouch.

CLICK ON FIRST PICTURE AND ENLARGE AND SCROLL THRU ALL PICS.
1660044385002.png Can quickly reroute second strap for true double shoulder backpack style carry.
1660044472123.png back pack style carry.

1660045090230.png 2nd strap UNDER 2nd shoulder for another carry style for longer hikes but will still be fast to get at rifle with the quick release strap.
1660045642164.png back view of 2nd strap UNDER shoulder " ".

1660044541448.png 2nd strap around tree for super stable rest set up!
1660044630100.png thumbhole low arm support for walking around.
1660044694262.png Thumbhole/hand grip higher hold.
1660044748850.png Overberget stabilized off hand shooting.
1660044878332.png being used 2nd strap around tree for stand/rest set up neg angle.
1660044933202.png same tree use as rest on flats.
1660044995772.png nice hands free while in stand position.
1660045213826.png wildi down from 330 dakota!

1660045772548.png Also pulls straight and tight for going thru thick brush you might run into so you dont have to pull it off. Or just pull sling swivels off real quick if you really have too. Comes with swivels as well.
1660045879309.png

Attachments

• 1660045333152.png
    1660045333152.png
    767.6 KB · Views: 62
I’ll be using an Els cavas sling for my .416 Rigby, I’m trying different kinds of carry, to see what is comfortable.

On a tangent to carrying your rifle, do any of the experienced DG hunters/PH’s have any input on binocular carry? On a thin harness, high up in the middle of the chest, or rather crossing from strong shoulder and resting on the off hand hip?

Recently saw a video of a mr Sullivan, who made his thoughts, on carrying with a harness, very clear, without ever explaining why. Very ‘confident’ character he is.

But his point of carrying when following wounded DG, barrel down, stock in you arm pit perhaps has merit, compared to barrel up holding in front of you.
Has that "safari" look...but it looks better then it uses in my opinion. Bites into shoulder if used for extensive hiking/walking etc. Ok for stabilizing but near as comfortable as quite a few others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!