Cardboard Box Trophy Shipping Issue

Merry B

AH member
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
Hi all,
Just wanted to relate something to you that happened recently. We handled some trophies that had been packed in cardboard - bad idea! There were a group of 4 boxes, and most were torn & squished. They also looked like they may have gotten wet. There was a box with horns, and one of the tips had protruded thru, altho I believe it was okay. Unfortunately, most people that handle your trophies in the transit over don't know or give a darn (remember the Samsonite commercials with the gorilla?) I suggest that you ask to have your trophies packed in wood crates if you have any choice in the matter!
 
I never thought of them even being packed in cardboard. That is just amazingly lazy. Wow.
 
It's cheaper and weighs less and unless you request it....It is what it is...Mine were shipped that way from Namibia. Sprayed in Foam around the animals. The Animals in plastic bags. One ear got damaged on the blue wildebeest. I've been told wood is very expensive to buy for a taxidermy or shipping company too.
 
It's cheaper and weighs less and unless you request it....It is what it is...Mine were shipped that way from Namibia. Sprayed in Foam around the animals. The Animals in plastic bags. One ear got damaged on the blue wildebeest. I've been told wood is very expensive to buy for a taxidermy or shipping company too.

Your shipping costs are based on either real or dim weight, whichever is greater. I know costs are outrageous, but I'd think after spending all the time, cost, etc. on your hunt, you'd want your memories brought home intact...It sounds like the foam helped quite a bit on yours, but a lot of what I see are wrapped in newspaper, plastic, and then shredded newspaper for filling in the empty spots.
 
Merry B., Were the trophies dipped and packed by the hunting outfitter or was a taxidermist involved? What country were the trophies coming from?
 
Was the dip and pack done by a taxidermist?
 
Let's see...Namibia...Cardboard.....Betcha the initials are H.P.?

Do I win?

Dnsdale
 
I had the same problem with trophies shipped from Namibia. The mounts were in a plastic bag, packed in cardboard boxes with shredded newsprint as the padding. The outrageous part to me, were the crating charges- $1300 USD for crating. When I visited the taxidermy shop and asked about crating the trophies for shipment, I was shown nice wood crates. What a disappointent, arriving at the cargo facility and seeing those ragged, distorted, un-reinforced cardboard boxes, with bits of my trophies hanging out. So my last memory to that otherwise wonderful trip are damaged trophies, broken curios, and the feeling of being overcharged for those wonderful 'crates.'
 
Your shipping costs are based on either real or dim weight, whichever is greater. I know costs are outrageous, but I'd think after spending all the time, cost, etc. on your hunt, you'd want your memories brought home intact...It sounds like the foam helped quite a bit on yours, but a lot of what I see are wrapped in newspaper, plastic, and then shredded newspaper for filling in the empty spots.

Merry B,
I agree with you 100 percent. The amount of money and time that goes into the hunt, it might be worth it to request wooden crates. It would be such a pity to have a trophy damaged that you worked had for.
 
For the crating fee I paid, I was surprised to see anything but wood.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,238
Members
169,511
Latest member
ChaunceySp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top