Canada's boy king Bans Firearms - List of 1500

They don't need a warrant in Canada. If you own one they legally have full access to your home with or without your presence, and can search to whatever extent they can justify as "reasonable"..... AND without compensating you for your losses. I'm not saying they do it on a regular basis, or at all. I'm just saying that they have that kind of power. It's ridiculous! !
@Cam Moon, I used to think this was the law in Canada as well. In my research on the recent ban, I've come across Sec. 102 of the Firearms Act, which addresses this issue. Some things to note:

1. Only businesses, "firearms collections" and places where there are prohibited weapons or more than 10 firearms are stored can be inspected;

2. The inspection can only be for the purposes of ensuring compliance with the Firearms act;

3. With particular reference to your home, this is exactly what the Act says:

"104(1) An inspector may not enter a dwelling-house under section 102 [which gives the right to inspect] except
  • (a) on reasonable notice to the owner or occupant, except where a business is being carried on in the dwelling-house; and
  • (b) with the consent of the occupant or under a warrant."
So unless you are carrying on a business in your home, or they have a warrant, they need your consent to enter your home.

4. This is interesting, and I have not seen this elsewhere in the law: "In carrying out an inspection . . . an inspector may not use force." (sec. 102(3));

5. They can only enter and inspect that area of your home where they reasonably believe a firearm is located (sec. 104(3)).

I'm actually pretty pleased with these provisions - someone was clearly thinking about inspectors running amok, and has restrained them.

Personally, I think all legal firearms owners have an obligation - a moral one even if not a legal one - to ensure that their firearms are safely stored and can't be accessed by unauthorized persons or stolen. I don't want my beautiful Colt Python being used in a crime. I invited a member of our local police to come and inspect my security arrangements and he was happy to do that. He made a couple of useful suggestions (what do I know about home burglaries?) and I adopted them. I'm now comfortable that I've done everything I reasonably can to protect my firearms.

@Hank2211 Very interesting! To be honest, I haven't looked into it in years, but when I did it seems to me that a warrant or permission was not required. This seems ludacris to me, and really bothered me. Maybe things have been changed over the years??
As far as safe storage, I agree with you, and I have absolutely no issue with that aspect! I do believe that safe storage can save lives, and I support it.

@Hank2211 Very interesting! To be honest, I haven't looked into it in years, but when I did it seems to me that a warrant or permission was not required. This seems ludacris to me, and really bothered me. Maybe things have been changed over the years??
As far as safe storage, I agree with you, and I have absolutely no issue with that aspect! I do believe that safe storage can save lives, and I support it.
Things might well have changed over the years - some of these clauses (not allowed use force?!) don't sound very Liberal to me. Might have been Harper - he changed a bunch of stuff in the Firearms Act (like killing the long gun registry).

Sooo way past time for a new government . . .

I SOOOOO want another Harper!

I SOOOOO want another Harper!
We’ll give you Sleepy Joe Biden! He’d be a great “fit” for your country! Ha! Ha! Ha!

@CoElkHunter I have a feeling that my initial response might have got me banned from this site! LMAO

@CoElkHunter I have a feeling that my initial response might have got me banned from this site! LMAO
Ha! Ha! Ha! Your kidding right? I don’t think there’s anything from anyone that can get one banned from here! It’s like the “Wild African West”! Ha! Ha! My sarcasm and facetiousness (mostly/sometimes justified) would have got me kicked off here a long time ago! But, I call it as I see (read) it! AH IS a great forum, and I’m thankful they are here for ALL of us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!