Follow the Import Rules . . .

Hank2211

AH legend
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
3,473
Reaction score
10,208
Media
244
Articles
4
Hunting reports
Africa
16
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Uganda, Zambia, Argentina
Many African (and many non-African) countries have rules about what can be imported into the country. Hunters are typically aware of the rules surrounding firearms, bows, etc., because those are pretty obvious and the outfitter will often get whatever permits you might need.

But hunters may often or ordinarily travel with items which are less obvious, but which might be controlled by various countries.

For example, Ethiopia requires permits for the importation of what they define as 'military equipment." Firearms, of course. But less obvious are things such as binoculars and GPS devices. On my last two hunts to Ethiopia I had to obtain a permit for my binos, and the permit was checked on arrival. My outfitter, who came on the hunt, only had a photocopy of the permit for his binos, and had to get a new original from the government and then go back to the airport to pick up the binos.

I have no idea what countries which regulate GPS devices do about iPhones, or the Zoleo I often carry with me, which can operate as GPS devices.

Many countries also regulate satellite phones, spotting scopes, thermal or night vision equipment, etc. (and some, including the US and Canada, tend to regulate the export of such devices). Some also regulate the importation (and wearing) of camo clothing.

This came to mind today when I read about a Canadian currently in jail in Ethiopia for arriving with some Amazon-acquired walkie-talkies: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitc...r-man-ethiopia-prison-walkie-talkie-9.6943035

Just something to be aware of . . . I tend to want to limit my interactions with authorities in the African countries I visit . . . (a rule I also apply at home!).
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Never thought about a GPS being an issue. Good to note.

I never thought about the walkie - talkies..

Ive never taken mine with me... but I generally take a set of GMRS, 5 watt handhelds with me hunting everywhere in the US.. as long as the terrain Im in isnt super hilly/mountainous I can get 3-4 miles range out of them.. they make communicating in places that my cell phones dont get good service a whole lot easier..
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,271
Members
169,516
Latest member
MaisieUnl
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top