CANADA: Alberta Shiras Moose Hunt With Anchor D Outfitters

I'm really sorry to hear about your lack of success. If you would have gone through the pain and discomfort, but ended up with a great moose, then it would have been one of those times where effort equals reward. Or if the weather was nicer and your knees weren't bothering you, then even without a moose you could have had a fantastic time. It's hard to enjoy the scenery, take in your surroundings, and enjoy nature and the hunt when you're in pain and cold.

Sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned. Always of paramount importance that an outfitter be upfront and honest about conditions on the ground.

Still, beautiful country you hunted- hopefully you'll have better luck next time.

Sounds like a tough hunt. You hunted hard, the outfitter/guide put out the effort, the animals just didn't cooperate. Dissappointing.........we all can relate.

JES thanks for sharing. We all know that you had a wonderful hunt albeit an unsuccessful one. Like 375 Ruger Fan said "we can all relate to that." Here's wishing that you will have better luck next time. Rest assured, there will be a next time.

Weather and wolves. I can relate to both challenges! Take some comfort in the fact that you and your outfitter put in an honest effort despite the conditions and your knee troubles.
I just spent a week in truly excellent well-stocked elk country that I know intimately, trying as host and guide to show a cow elk to a couple of beginner elk hunters with special herd reduction tags. Easy hunt right? We got skunked, but not for lack of trying! Wind and wolves were partly to blame. (I sometimes have to remind myself "it's hunting, not shopping!")
Wind puts the animals into thick bush and keeps them from moving and hyper alert because they can't hear any predators or hunters coming. Wolves appear and disappear randomly while they make very large circuits of their huge territory. While locally present, wolves chase game out of the accessible places and make the survivors very cautious about coming out in the open during daylight.
Neither wind nor wolves are unusual or predictable, so I wouldn't hold your outfitter fully responsible.
Perhaps booking your next hunt a bit earlier in the season would help. I am more familiar with Canada moose then Shiras, but our moose tend to migrate away from the semi-open meadows and bogs that they frequent in summer and early fall during the rut. In late fall they move into hazelnut brush and thick willows and alders that they browse on for the rest of the winter. I suspect Shiras aren't too different. A month earlier and you may have found many moose.
In any case, I enjoyed reading your story, thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Sorry for the lack of success, as you deserved better, you must really have suffered with your knees, yet you kept hunting :D Cheers:

Wish you better luck next time !

Sorry to hear about your knee pain. Even with both knees replaced I find going downhill on a horse to be painful after any real distance. Makes you really look at the cost/benefit ratio! Sorry to hear you didn't get your moose. Wolves make a huge difference. Thanks for your report.
Bruce

To echo Longwalker thoughts; id say you were about a month late if not six weeks. I hunt a lot of moose in BC and we normally start about the 15th of Sept thru the 1st week of Oct. After that the hunting gets spotty post rut. Not every area is the same of course, but you will know when you hit right you will here the bulls grunting and the cows calling at sunrise and sunset. Id also like to add that in BC we are past the pentacle of the wolf predation problem. My observations in the field is the numbers are starting to subside slowly; based on wolf kill sites and tracks that I have observed this season. There is no doubt though it will take time for the moose population to recover from the peak. PM if you'd like to talk more about moose ( we dropped 4 decent bulls this year).

Credit to you for hunting hard and your report.

Regards
Pat

In retrospect, I would’ve appreciated if the outfitter would’ve been transparent with me before I came on this hunt and told me of the wolf problem. That would’ve allowed me to make an educated decision whether or not I wanted to spend the time money and effort to hunt this area.

Now, on to finding a better location for hunting Shiras Moose as I continue my quest to complete the North American 29.

I'm sorry you did not get to see more game and at least have a chance at a Bull.
That's an expensive trail ride. I hope you find a better location.

Thanks for sharing @JES Adventures , it is unfortunate that you did not get a chance at a bull moose, and that this week was spent in pain. I also have some knee issues and have an idea of what it means to be in constant pain.

On to the next hunt, hopefully in a better location!

Hunting moose in southern Alberta is very slim picking in the mountains. The area you want is more north of White court Alberta . First week of October so you can call them in once you find a track. Sorry for your choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!