Can I share a gun case?

lefty971

Reaction score
I am travelling from Dallas to Newark to Joburg, and onto East London. I'm trying to reduce bags. I booked the trip with a friend, (Not related to me.) Does anyone know if we can put both of our rifles in one case. Two years ago I was having my rifle examined in ELS when the police told a father he could not have his adult sons rifle in his case with his rifle, and that they needed to be separated. Didn't seem to be an issue arriving in Joburg. Any guidance would be appreciated.

My uncle and aunt had their rifles in soft cases, then in a large hard case together. They never had issues. But i know every country seems to be different. Call your airline or cbp.

Yes.

My wife and I travel and hunt together. Both of our airline quality hard cases are double cases and always have two rifles or shotguns in them.. we’ve traveled extensively both domestically and internationally with firearms... never a problem..

I would not do it. You are allowed 2 - 50lb bags on an international flight. It is just better to have your own stuff. What if something unforeseen happens and one of you had to go home early or something? Then what? You are going to the other side of the planet remember!
Have a great trip.
Philip

I would not leave it to chance. If a couple had firearms registered bin one name or taking his or hers but not both to share no problem.
His and hers together might raise the question who is in charge or who is responsible.but I guess at some point you might leave them, on or another in camp.
Im just cautious , more so if I were in another country.

Saying that I hired a rifle on my only trip.

I am hoping to go to New Zealand and take a rifle.

I would not do it. As others more experienced than me have stated. Husband and wife is one thing. But two friends I would not. Each needs own gun case and own amount of allowed ammo. I asked a similar question in 2019 about my trip. As I wanted to take a third gun but put it in my hunting buddy’s case as he was taking only 1 gun. It was advised against it. Henry at Riflepermits advised not to also at that time. To many problems can occur with SAPS

............ Two years ago I was having my rifle examined in ELS when the police told a father he could not have his adult sons rifle in his case with his rifle, and that they needed to be separated. ...........
and just like magic the problem went away when the ill informed hunter handed over the "baited bribe".

Classic, I need a "cold drink".

I hope this is not too confusing. I have traveled, Los Angeles-Zurich-Joburg-Windhoek with my two sons and three rifles in one case (Tuff Case). We had zero problems. BUT, all rifles were listed (Custom Form 4457) under my name. We also have used, on our Safaris', either Travel with Guns or Gracy Travel. I think they are well worth the extra expense for your travel arrangements.

Agree with all the posts suggesting- "don't do it". Can it be done? Maybe... sometimes. But why complicate or invite trouble. Simplify!!! One gun for each owner in each owner's case along with each owner's separate paperwork for each with at least two copies of 4457 for each rifle. Put one 4457 copy in case with rifle and keep original on person along with passport, SAPS and other important papers. Put each owner's ammo in small, locked ammo box in each owner's checked baggage. Most intl travel allows for two bags and a carry on. Saving one checked bag allowance by doubling up on rifles in one bag (case) seems like a false economy to me given the potential for problems with intl travel with firearms to begin with. Keep it simple!

The only way I would do it was if you get a new 4457 showing the guns are owned by the same person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg