Can I share a gun case?

lefty971

Reaction score
I am travelling from Dallas to Newark to Joburg, and onto East London. I'm trying to reduce bags. I booked the trip with a friend, (Not related to me.) Does anyone know if we can put both of our rifles in one case. Two years ago I was having my rifle examined in ELS when the police told a father he could not have his adult sons rifle in his case with his rifle, and that they needed to be separated. Didn't seem to be an issue arriving in Joburg. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ike85123

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
None
My uncle and aunt had their rifles in soft cases, then in a large hard case together. They never had issues. But i know every country seems to be different. Call your airline or cbp.

mdwest

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC Life Member, NRA Life Member
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Argentina, Peru
Yes.

My wife and I travel and hunt together. Both of our airline quality hard cases are double cases and always have two rifles or shotguns in them.. we’ve traveled extensively both domestically and internationally with firearms... never a problem..

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
I would not do it. You are allowed 2 - 50lb bags on an international flight. It is just better to have your own stuff. What if something unforeseen happens and one of you had to go home early or something? Then what? You are going to the other side of the planet remember!
Have a great trip.
Philip

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I would not leave it to chance. If a couple had firearms registered bin one name or taking his or hers but not both to share no problem.
His and hers together might raise the question who is in charge or who is responsible.but I guess at some point you might leave them, on or another in camp.
Im just cautious , more so if I were in another country.

Saying that I hired a rifle on my only trip.

I am hoping to go to New Zealand and take a rifle.

Mark Biggerstaff

Silver supporter
Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I would not do it. As others more experienced than me have stated. Husband and wife is one thing. But two friends I would not. Each needs own gun case and own amount of allowed ammo. I asked a similar question in 2019 about my trip. As I wanted to take a third gun but put it in my hunting buddy’s case as he was taking only 1 gun. It was advised against it. Henry at Riflepermits advised not to also at that time. To many problems can occur with SAPS

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
............ Two years ago I was having my rifle examined in ELS when the police told a father he could not have his adult sons rifle in his case with his rifle, and that they needed to be separated. ...........
and just like magic the problem went away when the ill informed hunter handed over the "baited bribe".

Classic, I need a "cold drink".

dchamp

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, Australia, Namibia, Canada, Argentina
I hope this is not too confusing. I have traveled, Los Angeles-Zurich-Joburg-Windhoek with my two sons and three rifles in one case (Tuff Case). We had zero problems. BUT, all rifles were listed (Custom Form 4457) under my name. We also have used, on our Safaris', either Travel with Guns or Gracy Travel. I think they are well worth the extra expense for your travel arrangements.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Agree with all the posts suggesting- "don't do it". Can it be done? Maybe... sometimes. But why complicate or invite trouble. Simplify!!! One gun for each owner in each owner's case along with each owner's separate paperwork for each with at least two copies of 4457 for each rifle. Put one 4457 copy in case with rifle and keep original on person along with passport, SAPS and other important papers. Put each owner's ammo in small, locked ammo box in each owner's checked baggage. Most intl travel allows for two bags and a carry on. Saving one checked bag allowance by doubling up on rifles in one bag (case) seems like a false economy to me given the potential for problems with intl travel with firearms to begin with. Keep it simple!

Johnny reb

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA- buckmasters
The only way I would do it was if you get a new 4457 showing the guns are owned by the same person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SiobhanSau

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?