Can’t ship to a FFL unless you are a FFL???

It is interesting that "a non-licensee may mail a rifle or shotgun to a resident of his State".......as noted above. But the local PO, UPS and FEDEX do not know, or abide by this ATF law.....and while it is easy to get a local FFL to print you a label, here they charge the same whether you drop off the firearm for shipment, or just ask for the label............so it IS more difficult now, and it won't stop here...........FWB

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?​

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.
The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.
Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

I now stand corrected with written information. To counter my local post office counter workers.

Seeing this after my first 2 comments on this OP. I'm going to have to download and print this to have handy the next time I need to ship a long gun through either of my three local Post Offices.

My apologies to all for previously posting misinformation (parroting information) by those I deemed to be a reliable resource on this subject of shipping firearms.

Thanks for the information 375 Ruger Fan.

Don't know about any changes, but my local post offices will not ship any firearm long gun or handgun, to include muzzleloader firearms. They recommend UPS or maybe FEDEX. Handguns have to be shipped "overnight" (arrive next business day). According to USPS "they" don't want to be responsible for firearms not getting to the correct address, lost, or basically paraphrased 'getting into the wrong hands'.

(Sarcasm)....and to think, not that many decades ago, once upon a time a person could order a firearm out of a Montgomery Wards or Sears and Roebuck catalog, it would arrive 4-6 weeks later at the local post office where the customer could pick it up like any other parcel.

I shipped a rifle last week. It sounds like you have an issue with your local PO.

I shipped a rifle last week. It sounds like you have an issue with your local PO.

I had to ship a shotgun back to the factory for repair or replacement due to a manufacturer defect and tried to compare shipping prices, it was a flat you can't ship firearms through the postal service try UPS.

I went to ship bullets and brass they were ok as long as it wasn't loaded ammo. I had to define the difference between loaded ammo and what I was mailing was only bullets and empty brass cases for future reloading by the respective individuals receiving the bullets and brass, two different individuals, two different addresses, in two different states to them and that I had been receiving like items periodically through USPS only then was it okay for me to mail them I was handed a list of items not accepted by USPS for mailing and firearms was the number 1 item on the list followed by ammunition, primers, powder/ explosive type of any kind, combustible/flameable items (ie sub list a-z), compressed gas (ie sub list a-z), etc, etc,.

After that headache I just sent everything UPS and use USPS for regular mail.

Now that UPS is woke, I've reverted back to shipping via USPS (and FEDEX) making sure what I ship is within what they (the local postal clerks) say is acceptable. With the information 375 Ruger Fan provided I can reference it should I need to ship a long gun.

Reactions: WAB
Unfortunately things have changed new york just passed law went into effect sept 4th all ammunition now has to be shipped to a ffl if ordered and not a in store purchase so now when I found a good deal on 35 whelen ammo I have to purchase from my ffl a ammunition transfer for $25

Unfortunately things have changed new york just passed law went into effect sept 4th all ammunition now has to be shipped to a ffl if ordered and not a in store purchase so now when I found a good deal on 35 whelen ammo I have to purchase from my ffl a ammunition transfer for $25

That sucks. I seriously doubt non-woke states will follow suit.

Sold a rifle

Went to UPS to ship it to the FFL which was in fact the buyer

UPS said “no can-do”

Said that as of the end of August only FFL’s can ship rifles?????

Is this a UPS thing or is this a ATF thing???

I am blown away as I have shipped dozens of rifles legally in the past. Always just me to the FFL

So apparently now I have to go to some FFL who is going to charge me a fee to ship the rifle on top of the shipping???
Please read my post today

Yes new york state as of Sept 4th requires ffl to ffl they also require any ordered ammunition to get sent to a ffl so if I need 35 whelen ammo and can't find it locally I have to pay a $25 ammunition transfer fee on top of ammo costs they also have a law now if I want to sell a rifle to my neighbor I have to go down to gunstore and perform transfer there not allowed to have a private sale unless immediate family and the worst they instituted a semi automatic rifle law with now explanation on what's required to obtain license supposedly if you have a nys pistol permit it covers it but nothing official saddest part my benelli r1 338 win mag is now a assault weapon as my mini 14 doesn't make sense I'm up here from Florida to settle my parents estate laws totally against legal gun ownership

Yes new york state as of Sept 4th requires ffl to ffl they also require any ordered ammunition to get sent to a ffl so if I need 35 whelen ammo and can't find it locally I have to pay a $25 ammunition transfer fee on top of ammo costs they also have a law now if I want to sell a rifle to my neighbor I have to go down to gunstore and perform transfer there not allowed to have a private sale unless immediate family and the worst they instituted a semi automatic rifle law with now explanation on what's required to obtain license supposedly if you have a nys pistol permit it covers it but nothing official saddest part my benelli r1 338 win mag is now a assault weapon as my mini 14 doesn't make sense I'm up here from Florida to settle my parents estate laws totally against legal gun ownership
More stupid laws that only affect the law abiding gun owners. Californicate has the same BS ammo to FFL only laws now. If I lived in either states (I escaped from CA in '89), I would buy whatever ammo/components I needed on a road trip vacation when travelling through more friendly 2nd Amendment states.

“Successfully shipping a long gun with new UPS regulations”

Yes, but for long guns only (not a handgun).
Have a copy of the dealers license you are shipping to.

Unless this has changed recently as well...
Yes. And, my local FFL stopped shipping via UPS as a result of the above statements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg