Camp alcohol where to buy? or contact the PH?

poco

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
Heading to RSA for 7 day PG hunt then Zimbabwe for hippo and buffalo
it my first ever safari, so thought I should ask, I want a few cocktails after the hunt
do we bring our favorite rum & vodka, buy locally? Or contact the safari company?

p.s what is a good local brand of rum to export home from RSA

Your outfitter(s) should have a a fully stocked bar. Contact him / them and let him know if you want something specific. Most outfitters have all the local brands readily available.

I took a bottle of Jimmy Johnson Apple Pie moonshine with me in 2016. It was huge hit and created a few sore heads the next morning:ROFLMAO:

My PH always sends a preference sheet email. Then again, he knows what I prefer anyways, but just part of the package that includes waivers etc. I always offer to pay for alcohol—which he refuses. Either way, I end up paying for it. :)

Your outfitter(s) should have a a fully stocked bar. Contact him / them and let him know if you want something specific. Most outfitters have all the local brands readily available.

I took a bottle of Jimmy Johnson Apple Pie moonshine with me in 2016. It was huge hit and created a few sore heads the next morning:ROFLMAO:
Is that Junior or Jimmy? I think you still may have a sore head. :). I guess Jimmy could be in the shine business, but bet it fits better with NASCAR than football.

Heading to RSA for 7 day PG hunt then Zimbabwe for hippo and buffalo
it my first ever safari, so thought I should ask, I want a few cocktails after the hunt
do we bring our favorite rum & vodka, buy locally? Or contact the safari company?

p.s what is a good local brand of rum to export home from RSA

Unless you are wanting something like Blantons or Macallen, your outfitter will have it. Otherwise, pick up a bottle in the Duty Free when you leave so you don’t have to worry about a broken or stolen bottle in your check bag.

As to your PS question, there not.

Is that Junior or Jimmy? I think you still may have a sore head. :). I guess Jimmy could be in the shine business, but bet it fits better with NASCAR than football.
Yeah Junior :ROFLMAO:

My PH always has a stocked bar but I and my buddies stop by the duty free and stock on on a few nice bottles of whiskey and cigarettes. We give the booze to the PHs and cigarettes to the tracker and skinner who we know smoke

Your outfitter and PH will have almost anything you want for a sundowner cocktail. Always a good idea to hit the duty free shop and get a great bottle of single malt or something for a gift to the house when you arrive.

I will be sure to shop around for the rum , seems RSA has good rum as a sugar cane producer

Old African Blackstrap Rum, Inverroche Distillery​

Die Warm Rasta Rum, De Vry Distillery​

MHOBA Rum​

Tapanga Rum​

Zulu Rum​

Never thought about rum in RSA, but I do know with all the wine production brandy is a standard local hard liquor. Klipdrift brandy is pretty well known and tasty. Klippies and Coke is a common cocktail in RSA. Both places I hunted in RSA had a well stocked bar. I toured through a good part of the wine country in 2018 and picked up a couple different brandies, a bottle of witblitz ( white lightning in English, an unaged brandy) and a great whisky from a place in the Klein Karoo region.

Never thought about rum in RSA, but I do know with all the wine production brandy is a standard local hard liquor. Klipdrift brandy is pretty well known and tasty. Klippies and Coke is a common cocktail in RSA. Both places I hunted in RSA had a well stocked bar. I toured through a good part of the wine country in 2018 and picked up a couple different brandies, a bottle of witblitz ( white lightning in English, an unaged brandy) and a great whisky from a place in the Klein Karoo region.
Good to know , brandy & coke was all they had @ pompalona Spain during the running

On my first safari all that they had in camp was beer and some wine.

We stopped by a store on the way out of Port Elizabeth for our liquor supply.

If they don't supply spirits etc ask them to order it in. At worst they will only charge actual cost.

Got hooked on this my second trip. Always ask to make sure there is some in camp from now on. Even found a supplier in USA for it.
IMG_5265.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!