Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Argentina plans to cull 100,000 beavers in Tierra del Fuego

The authorities in the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego are planning to cull 100,000 beavers.

Beavers, an invasive exotic species, were introduced to the area in 1946 to offer locals work in the fur trade.

With no natural predators, the beavers have reproduced rapidly and are a threat to the native forest, environmentalists say.

The plan is to eradicate the North American beaver completely from the archipelago, local officials say.

According to the officials, the beaver situation is "totally out of control" in Tierra del Fuego, where the rodents have destroyed an area double the size of the city of Buenos Aires.

Threat to ecosystem
Adrian Schiavini, who heads the National Strategy for Invasive Exotic Species, told Argentine radio that "humane traps" would be used to cull the animals "quickly and effectively".

Mr Schiavini said the species had caused huge damage to Tierra del Fuego, at the southern tip of Argentina, by building dams in its unique river system.

Biologists say that whereas some North American trees can grow back after being damaged by beavers, South American trees tend to die off after being gnawed by the rodents.

The dams they build moreover create bogs in which many native trees are unable to grow. Dams built by beavers can reach a length of 100m (328ft).

Mr Schiavini said the plan was to bring in experts in beaver hunting from North America.

"The idea is to train a group of hunters and then choose the best from this group and put them to work in seven pilot areas on Isla Grande in Tierra del Fuego."

He said he hoped that after four years, the authorities would be able to significantly step up the speed of the cull.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37973825

Interesting. We have a Nutria problem in some southern states and they have a beaver problem.

I may know where to find somebody!

Canadian_Nickel_-_reverse.png

Apparently we have some experience.....
romanceofthebeaver98.jpg

Trapping is far more effective than hunting. Beavers are generally nocturnal. Busting open a dam and watching the area with night vision equipment works, as you can see, but is very time consuming.
IMG_20161029_075623717.jpg
IMG_20161028_183241071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I once hooked a beaver with a top water bait, it was fun for the first two seconds when I thought it was a bass.

Wonder what Beaver pelts are going for these days?

Not much. The fur market has taken a nose dive in the last couple of years. We need to revisit the show us your hat thread and bring them back in style. There are, however, slot of experienced trappers in North America that make their living doing nuisance beaver trapping for landowners and timber companies.

Suddenly the demand for 330s go through the roof. I bet the right trappers could really put a dent in the population.

Nice Beaver!
100k is a lot of Beaver! What ole Liver eatin Johnson would have done! One of my favorite movies was the Mountain Men, "more beaver than there are stars in the sky", this fits the bill, to bad it won't pay for a man to go do it. It would dam sure be an adventure!

Interesting. We have a Nutria problem in some southern states and they have a beaver problem.

@AfricaHunting.com Jerome, I wonder how many people will come to this thread due to the double entendre of the title.:D

The continents have traded rats.:(

Sounds like a great opportunity to utilize all those confiscated African gin traps.(y)

@AfricaHunting.com Jerome, I wonder how many people will come to this thread due to the double entendre of the title.:D
I knew that more than a few of you would check out this thread just for the title... Hope you weren't disappointed! I could not help myself, it was just too easy... :E Laugh:

Trapping and nocturnal hunting is the way to go, .. assuming that we are all talking about the same beavers....otherwise additional alcohol is required:D Beer Draft:

images-1.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!