Call The Shot Elephant

Where do you aim?

  • Red

    Votes: 99 76.2%
  • Blue

    Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other

    Votes: 27 20.8%

  • Total voters
    130
At ten feet? Wrinkle under red dot. Depends a bit on whether head up or down
 
Agree. I would go two wrinkles below red dot. biggest mistake made with this shot is always shooting too high. If in doubt shoot lower
 
I agree with blue and red being too high. And would choose other also. at that angle I would draw a line across ann inch or two above the top of the tusk sockets.
 
I have always gone overboard studying animals anatomy. Even on down to a Turkey. They can be very tricky to aim at for the heart lung area using archery equipment. So pinpoint placement is very important.
 
Where would you shoot this guy? He had awfully bad manners.
IMG_3016.jpeg
 
Given he is straight on me and not enough brush to bother me right at the bottom of his eyes in the middle of his head
 
Given he is straight on me and not enough brush to bother me right at the bottom of his eyes in the middle of his head
I agree especially as the shooter is elevated a bit as well.
 
At 10', an F450 is coming @ 20+ mph and you have to shoot the driver in the head...

...in .3 seconds...
 
Ah but that’s the beauty of a sweet double rifle!!!
 
I would shoot a good bit below the red dot......I'm not very tall...lol
 
View attachment 629508

Blue will not even phase it! It might turn it. This would be the shot to take to try desperately to get it to stop charging without killing it (e.g. accidental elephant charge while hunting buffalo), but if this does not work and it is close and truly coming, you are about dead...

Red, above the eyes, and just above the upper end of the zygomatic arches, will maybe graze the top of the brain, especially with a shot angling up, but more probably go just over it. A 9.3, .375 or even .416 will probably not knock it down, but a .500, .470 or .458 Lott will most likely drop it but not kill it. You have about 5 to 10 seconds to run sideways and put another one in the top of its head or a couple behind its shoulder.

I would go a little lower than discussed so far because its head is held up; the shot is angling up; indeed "when in doubt aim low" (attributed to Richard Harland in modern days, but he could have just repeated it from older hands, and in any case advised by Charlton McCallum in his videos) and they do not mean 1" low but 4" low - it is an elephant after all; and the shot is still in line with the zygomatic arches.


PS: red would work if it is coming for you from below, e.g. it is in a shallow river bottom and you are on the bank 4 to 6 ft higher than it.
 
What about a side shot. Where is the ideal location?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,088
Members
169,492
Latest member
FYTEartha
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top