Caliber thoughts?

The problem you're going to have is finding a bullet tough enough to not blow up at 8 yards but not so tough that it pencils through at 500 yards... .

The only bullet that will pencil through at 8 yards is a solid. Any expanding bullet is going to rapidly and violently expand. You are correct about finding one tough enough though.

The problem you're going to have is finding a bullet tough enough to not blow up at 8 yards but not so tough that it pencils through at 500 yards... .

Bad reading skills tonight...your original statement was bang on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally of the 2 I'd go 308 win in my previous career I used it on the most dangerous creatures out too 1500 yards consistently. Most did not get back up!

You will need to prctise practise then after more practise the 308 will work a treat but distance judging and wind is key calculations are key. I still love and use the 308 a lot there are better 400-600 yard guns but the 308 is very predictable.

Just looked at some of the earliest posts to this thread again. Problems I see (biased against long range shooting as so many buy guns for it but so few people do it).:

-270 Win with 130gr bullets with 3100fps at muzzle is petered out at 400-425 yards as its below 1500ft pounds of energy left in it, about where I'd want to be for kudu and elk as a minimum with a small bullet. It has also dropped over 22" with a 200 yard zero at that point.

If you're going to do firing solutions and dope the wind and play geometry jones for sport, you probably want something that will buck the wind, will be heavy for caliber to get the BC and SD you want, etc. That puts you in the entry level of 300 Win mag, .300 WBY, 7mm Weatherby, .338 Lapua sort of places.

Because I am biased and I acknowledge it, I dare you to go the other direction. Get a really high quality ultra lightweight stalking rifle and stalk them all to within 225 yards. Then you can use a super sweet 6lb gentlemen's single shot in say 6.5x55 or 7x57 and have that "up close and personal" experience. If you can't get within 225 yards it probably wasn't meant to be. <--- bias alert right back there!

I have to totally agree with Rookhawk. Hunting is spot and stalk to within a reasonable distance (as close as you can get). This shooting into the next county is fine for competition and games but doesn't cut it in my book as hunting. There are too many variables in distance to make it worthwhile, plus there is no sport or SKILL involved. The skill of a hunter is in the stalk, pitting your expertise as a hunter against the quarry in his domain. Long distance stuff is great for games and snipers, but we're hunters and relish the chase and stalk. Therefore, I'll stick to my old 308 Win and 200 yard--or less shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross