caliber question

blkpowder50

AH senior member
Joined
Oct 15, 2013
Messages
54
Reaction score
1
this is just a question. im not trolling,im not planning on using this in Africa, i just want to hear from experts. a double rifle expert told me in the pre nitro days a hardened 8 bore ball at 1500 fps was deadly to an elephants head with a frontal brain shot.. On that statement, i ask my question. A souped up rifled 20 gauge slug gun i know will push 700 grain/.550 CEB bronze solids at 16-1700 fps/over 4000 ft lbs.. Due to the smaller diameter,decent sectional density, and faster velocity than what the old 8 bores used to do, do you think a .550/700grainer going 1600 fps would penetrate an elephant for a frontal brain shot? Im asking because im impressed at the souped up 20gauge, and am just curious if that load would do the trick.

As i said, this is just a question. If I was going to Africa id take the Lott.

thank you for your time and patience with questions about a load.
 
Well if you say it's over 4000 ft-lbs them I think it could work.
 
thank you for your reply. it was never intended to be taken to Africa, its just interesting to know a custom built heavy barrel 20 gauge rifled shotgun based on an over 120 year old bolt action can be made to produce such ballistics. Not bad for a 20 gauge. thank you again.
 
I grew using a shotgun. Back in the day they didn't have the best bullet options but with all the advancements they are a serious weapon.
 
Blkp50

The cartridge that Sir Samuel Baker made popular 130 years ago was very similar in performance to the 20 bore that you have described. His .577 Express fired a 648 grain hardened lead bullet at about 1650fps when driven by 167fg black. This is a 24 gauge, and there are numerous examples in the old African literature of elephant being killed with a single shot to the head by this gun and load (see Neumann's Elephant Hunting in East Equatorial Africa...."to my great joy and relief, she fell dead....."). I also know from many volumes on elephant hunting, that this load was not generally considered adequate for elephant : "...it should have been at least a 10 bore"...JA Hunter...."Hunter".) Still, they did not have machined bronze bullets back then..................FWB
 
I don´t know a thig about the elephant... but, intrinsecall ballistic don´t mess....
This density, plus this vellocity, makes a very powerfull shot!... Without deformation... the bullet cross away anything!! INCLUDED the elephant!
 
I agree, Marcos......no living creature could withstand a well placed shot from that load.......FWB
 
Ok!!! and in the early time of the "safari", all the "big five" was hunted by big shotguns using black powder and calibers like nro. 2 o 4.... WHATH A CANNONBALL.... Terrific shots... and very dangerous to the hunters too!... This cartridges shows the way to the later calibers used in the ends of the 1800 and 1900... the smokeless powder take a big hand too!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,122
Members
169,705
Latest member
FeliciaBid
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top