Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Does anyone know what Heym uses to regulate their 450/400 89b? I know Hornady sells the live ammo, what bullet does that use? I will need to get brass and bullets and load them as live imports will be difficult, hence the question.

I just bought a .450-.400 and as far as I can tell Hornady is the only company that makes factory ammo. The bullets they use are the Hornady .400gr DGS and DGX.

7F5CDAF5-77D8-4EC3-9F7C-CB89F661CC55.jpeg
7668493B-655D-4F25-B0EE-C787E1A24A3D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
For my 88B, Heym confirmed they used Hornady ammo. I do not think their ammo choice for regulation has changed.

Here is an option for you. In my Merkel .450-400 3", which I had regulated for the Hornady factory load, I can load Woodleigh Weldcore .410" RNSP 400 gr. bullets and enjoy the same point of impact and convergence as the Hornady bullets. If Woodleigh bullets are not available, the new Hornady Bonded DGX are a big improvement over the old and rather poorly designed original DGX, you can use them with confidence.

I just bought a .450-.400 and as far as I can tell Hornady is the only company that makes factory ammo. The bullets they use are the Hornady .400gr DGS and DGX.

View attachment 404828View attachment 404829
Funny you should ask. I talked to Hornady today for their DGX for my 450-400 3 inch. Their ammo targets 2050 FPS and targets pressures between 33,500 to 37,000. I reloaded 20 shells using H4831SC powder using my Quick Load software and was able to get 2050 FPS with 74.12 grains of powder. On my reloads I am using 400 grain A-Square and Woodleigh bullets. Hope this helps

Rare Breed, were you able to confirm the expected velocity of your QuickLoad(s?) If so how did it fare in real life?

Interesting. At 25 yards both in bulls eye meaning both the Hornady factory and my reloads using A-Frames. At 50 yards similar results. My problem was at 100 yards. For some reason my reloads at 2050 hit at the bottom of the pie target with a half inch regulation while my Hornady factory was within an inch of the bullseye area. Trying to figure out why the drop off at that distance

Interesting. At 25 yards both in bulls eye meaning both the Hornady factory and my reloads using A-Frames. At 50 yards similar results. My problem was at 100 yards. For some reason my reloads at 2050 hit at the bottom of the pie target with a half inch regulation while my Hornady factory was within an inch of the bullseye area. Trying to figure out why the drop off at that distance
BC difference in the bullets?

I am thinking so Tanks. Both bullets 2050 FPS

My brother has taken 12 elephant with Hornady DGS with his 416 rigby. He buys any ammo he can find. I know that you can get the DGS bullets in SA. No problems bringing bullets and brass through the border. Chris can knock up some rounds for you I am sure.

DGX I cannot comment. No experience.

My brother has taken 12 elephant with Hornady DGS with his 416 rigby. He buys any ammo he can find. I know that you can get the DGS bullets in SA. No problems bringing bullets and brass through the border. Chris can knock up some rounds for you I am sure.

DGX I cannot comment. No experience.
Thanks. I am thinking I am going to stick with Hornady, as everyone says they have gotten much better.

Buy Rhino and Woodleigh bullets.
Rhino you can get direct from manufacturer.

Kevin if you are going to buy components go with 400gr Woodleigh softs for the Heym. As far as solids go I’m very partial to locally made Dzombo solids. They are used extensively in the Kruger National Park with great success. I’ve had minimal trouble getting my Gibbs 450-400 3&1/4” to regulate with both and shoot to the same POI at 50y.

As far as brass goes, I think Hornady will be your only option, but again, I’ve been quite happy with their brass quality in the 450-400, .375 and .416 Ruger and a few other calibers

I load 400gr. A frames in my Ruger No. 1. at 2230 could go higher. In a double probably better off with woodleigh as it's quite a bit slower even the new Hornaday my be alright at them velocities.

Thanks. I am thinking I am going to stick with Hornady, as everyone says they have gotten much better.
DGS has a flat melatonin so it penetrator well. It has a similar shape to the peregrine solids and softs. Those are easy to get and excellent bullets. So if you can't get hornady, they are probably a good place to start.

DGS has a flat melatonin so it penetrator well. It has a similar shape to the peregrine solids and softs. Those are easy to get and excellent bullets. So if you can't get hornady, they are probably a good place to start.
I've heard that being thinner walled one should avoid brass bullets, or definitely the harder ones in a double. Chris definitely banned them for my Verney. So for the 450/400 I need a 'soft solid' if you get my drift.

LFB ( Labor Fur Ballistik ) makes factory ammunition for the .450/400 Nitro Express . As does Kynoch .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertinaG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you