Bullet Removal

Rumrunner

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 3, 2025
Messages
334
Reaction score
782
Location
Texas Panhandle
Media
1
Hunted
US, South Africa
I have about 20 remaining rounds of .416 rem mag factory ammo with Swift A Frame bullets. The rounds are very hot and have jammed on ejecting. I have a bullet puller and wonder if I can pull the bullet, remove the powder, reload with a known powder and amount? Then re-seat the A Frame or another bullet and crimp?
 
I have about 20 remaining rounds of .416 rem mag factory ammo with Swift A Frame bullets. The rounds are very hot and have jammed on ejecting. I have a bullet puller and wonder if I can pull the bullet, remove the powder, reload with a known powder and amount? Then re-seat the A Frame or another bullet and crimp?
Absolutely!!!
 
I have done this many times. For a small number of rounds you can use an impact puller. But proper puller dies will do a better job.
 
Thank you everyone for the responses and confirmation. I do have a RCBS collet puller that I will use.
All of the comments are greatly appreciated.
 
Best money, exactly for what you are talking about
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7371.jpeg
    IMG_7371.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
Best money, exactly for what you are talking about
^^^ This ^^^
While the collet pullers might be marginally better, the ease and cost of the Grip n Pull more than make up for it. I will note, on shorter bullets with nothing but the ogive above the case neck, I have had to use the kinetic puller to expose a little of the flat side of the bullet to get a grip on. I've pulled factory crimped rounds, rolled crimps and loads that the Lee Factory Crimp die were used on; no issues.
 
Occasionally I have to pull 1 or 2 bullets, rarely more of my own reloads. That’s why, when working up loads, I only load about 3 at a time to begin process. Shoot those through chronograph and on paper while checking for function and high pressure. Repeat process until best load found.

Also, some large calibers won’t fit correctly into a regular inertia puller. I then try to rig a shell holder for the cartridge and use a cobbled together inertia puller. Once in a great while, failing some inertia technique, I’ve had to “grab and pull” with the press. Many times that damages the bullet beyond cosmetic,

For unknown loads, pull the bullets, pitch the powder into the garden, resize cases and start over. Reuse bullets if you know what they are and if not damaged beyond cosmetic.
 
Last edited:
I have about 20 remaining rounds of .416 rem mag factory ammo with Swift A Frame bullets. The rounds are very hot and have jammed on ejecting. I have a bullet puller and wonder if I can pull the bullet, remove the powder, reload with a known powder and amount? Then re-seat the A Frame or another bullet and crimp?
@Rum Runner
Simple answer
YES
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,915
Members
169,464
Latest member
Levergunsite
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top