Bullet Performance 375 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

GA Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
I have to start this with a slight confession. I’ve never given much consideration to bullet performance. Preferring instead to put it where it matters and let biology take over. With that out in the open, I was thoroughly impressed with Federal’s Premium 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw loading for the 375 H&H. The bullet below was recovered from one of the animals on my trip this year. The animal was facing me at about 120 yards. The bullet hit him in the center of the chest taking the top off the heart, continuing through the liver, and stopping in the intestines. After cleaning, it weighed in @ 247.5 grains. My math puts that at 99% weight retention and a perfect mushroom. Pretty good stuff. Made a believer out of me.
IMG_3494.JPG

Jack Carter's bullet design was done after much guidance from Bill Steigers who developed Bitterroot Bonded Core Bullets. Of similar design parameters are the North Fork and Woodleigh bullets. Keeping within Bill's concepts results in bullets that perform as intended on big tough animals. It isn't mentioned what species the bullet was used, buyt congratulations on a one shot- instant- ethical kill.

C7CDAD3D-2823-4333-B647-F6F35506DF92.jpeg

At the range today using the 300 grain version of the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Four shots grouped together at 100 yards about the size of a quarter. I hope the weight retention is as good as the 250 grain one you recovered.

The TBBC is an excellent bullet which has never let me down. The Swift A-Frame is, in my view, in the same league, but maybe a bit behind the TBBC. I have moved to the Barnes as my first choice, but for the larger stuff, I always have some TBBC with me.

View attachment 227527
At the range today using the 300 grain version of the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Four shots grouped together at 100 yards about the size of a quarter. I hope the weight retention is as good as the 250 grain one you recovered.

Are you reloading that brass? Just curious as I have about 240 pieces of brass from my .375! I haven’t shot the bear claws always wondered how they would perform vs the A-frames!

I have to start this with a slight confession. I’ve never given much consideration to bullet performance. Preferring instead to put it where it matters and let biology take over. With that out in the open, I was thoroughly impressed with Federal’s Premium 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw loading for the 375 H&H. The bullet below was recovered from one of the animals on my trip this year. The animal was facing me at about 120 yards. The bullet hit him in the center of the chest taking the top off the heart, continuing through the liver, and stopping in the intestines. After cleaning, it weighed in @ 247.5 grains. My math puts that at 99% weight retention and a perfect mushroom. Pretty good stuff. Made a believer out of me.
View attachment 227523

Ok GA it’s about time to see some pictures from this hunt!

Are you reloading that brass? Just curious as I have about 240 pieces of brass from my .375! I haven’t shot the bear claws always wondered how they would perform vs the A-frames!

No I’m not into reloading yet. A couple of AH friends say that I should be.

I am trying the Nosler partitions in my 375 but will also try the trophy bonded.
I will reload the 375 with 350 Woodleigh’s soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dee

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross