Bullet Performance 375 Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

GA Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have to start this with a slight confession. I’ve never given much consideration to bullet performance. Preferring instead to put it where it matters and let biology take over. With that out in the open, I was thoroughly impressed with Federal’s Premium 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw loading for the 375 H&H. The bullet below was recovered from one of the animals on my trip this year. The animal was facing me at about 120 yards. The bullet hit him in the center of the chest taking the top off the heart, continuing through the liver, and stopping in the intestines. After cleaning, it weighed in @ 247.5 grains. My math puts that at 99% weight retention and a perfect mushroom. Pretty good stuff. Made a believer out of me.
IMG_3494.JPG

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Jack Carter's bullet design was done after much guidance from Bill Steigers who developed Bitterroot Bonded Core Bullets. Of similar design parameters are the North Fork and Woodleigh bullets. Keeping within Bill's concepts results in bullets that perform as intended on big tough animals. It isn't mentioned what species the bullet was used, buyt congratulations on a one shot- instant- ethical kill.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
C7CDAD3D-2823-4333-B647-F6F35506DF92.jpeg

At the range today using the 300 grain version of the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Four shots grouped together at 100 yards about the size of a quarter. I hope the weight retention is as good as the 250 grain one you recovered.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
The TBBC is an excellent bullet which has never let me down. The Swift A-Frame is, in my view, in the same league, but maybe a bit behind the TBBC. I have moved to the Barnes as my first choice, but for the larger stuff, I always have some TBBC with me.

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
View attachment 227527
At the range today using the 300 grain version of the Federal Premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Four shots grouped together at 100 yards about the size of a quarter. I hope the weight retention is as good as the 250 grain one you recovered.

Are you reloading that brass? Just curious as I have about 240 pieces of brass from my .375! I haven’t shot the bear claws always wondered how they would perform vs the A-frames!

Travis2282

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have to start this with a slight confession. I’ve never given much consideration to bullet performance. Preferring instead to put it where it matters and let biology take over. With that out in the open, I was thoroughly impressed with Federal’s Premium 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw loading for the 375 H&H. The bullet below was recovered from one of the animals on my trip this year. The animal was facing me at about 120 yards. The bullet hit him in the center of the chest taking the top off the heart, continuing through the liver, and stopping in the intestines. After cleaning, it weighed in @ 247.5 grains. My math puts that at 99% weight retention and a perfect mushroom. Pretty good stuff. Made a believer out of me.
View attachment 227523

Ok GA it’s about time to see some pictures from this hunt!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Are you reloading that brass? Just curious as I have about 240 pieces of brass from my .375! I haven’t shot the bear claws always wondered how they would perform vs the A-frames!

No I’m not into reloading yet. A couple of AH friends say that I should be.

Dr Ray

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
I am trying the Nosler partitions in my 375 but will also try the trophy bonded.
I will reload the 375 with 350 Woodleigh’s soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MitchelC67

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rob404 wrote on Newboomer's profile.
I,d like to buy some pistol primers if they available,thanks
Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!