Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, DSC Life, NRA Life, NAHC Life, Trout Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa. AK, CA, FL, GA, KS, SC, CO, MO, PA, ID, VA, WY, TX
I'm done with my America-style fire pit and want a flat-topped one like they had at the camp in RSA. I enjoy using my potjkie pot and a flat surface works better for me. What do I do, just fill this sucker with cement or are there some cautions and advice I should hear first?
IMG_2159_zpsjjstiqzj.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2159_zpsjjstiqzj.jpg
    IMG_2159_zpsjjstiqzj.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 802
Great topic. Im excited to see the responses.

Be careful with filling your current fire-pit in with concrete. Most patios don't have a sturdy enough footing or thick enough slab to accept that much concrete on top. In time the patio will probably crack or the weight will make the slab slope. If you want the fire-pit in that location, you might have to cut the concrete patio and put in a footing that will support it. Maybe one of our engineers or contractors will speak up.

Look forward to seeing your finished results.

Here are some images for your reference...

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

image.jpg

Mine has the best of both worlds. The base has eight 8" drilled footings put down four feet and tied into the slab with rebar that the entire structure rests on. The slab is 8" thick. Then the fire box sits a foot above that and is back filled with concrete and broken stone and brick. Gas starter for the wood, three rails for setting the cooking racks at different heights. The smoke stack is eleven feet high to draw away smoke while you are sitting around. I cook pigs on this every year around the Fourth of. July and I have cooked 93 chickens at one time using all three wire mesh racks.
In short I enjoy the heck out of this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 186790
Mine has the best of both worlds. The base has eight 8" drilled footings put down four feet and tied into the slab with rebar that the entire structure rests on. The slab is 8" thick. Then the fire box sits a foot above that and is back filled with concrete and broken stone and brick. Gas starter for the wood, three rails for setting the cooking racks at different heights. The smoke stack is eleven feet high to draw away smoke while you are sitting around. I cook pigs on this every year around the Fourth of. July and I have cooked 93 chickens at one time using all three wire mesh racks.
In short I enjoy the heck out of this thing.

Looks like you have the right idea. Not something you will move around...

Looks like you have the right idea. Not something you will move around...

No sir this one will stay with the house!

If those stones are mortared then fill it up with sand to desired level and ,,maybe 4 inches below top after laying fire brick on sand or build fire on sand...concrete with a fire directly on it can xplode..I've had it happen...No more foundation needed if patio is 4"

If those stones are mortared then fill it up with sand to desired level and ,,maybe 4 inches below top after laying fire brick on sand or build fire on sand...concrete with a fire directly on it can xplode..I've had it happen...No more foundation needed if patio is 4"

Yes sir the inside of mine is indeed fire brick and that bottom has a couple of inches of sand and ash covering it.

Agree with using fire bricks for this project.

I'm done with my America-style fire pit and want a flat-topped one like they had at the camp in RSA. I enjoy using my potjkie pot and a flat surface works better for me. What do I do, just fill this sucker with cement or are there some cautions and advice I should hear first?
IMG_2159_zpsjjstiqzj.jpg
Take the top two rows of bricks off, fill with sand and you're ready to go... :D

Ditto

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine may not be African either ..... we are not aloud open pits ,so here is what I did ! Pat . 1907 ..... 75 Good Cheer parlor stove . It can burn either wood or coal .
Glen
DSCF6123.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,