AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA/SCI
Hunted
USA (Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Montana) South Africa (Freestate and Limpopo
My husband and I are leaving June 2013 for South Africa Limpopo Area. Here in the states I'm bug bait. We mainly have skeeters and deer or horse flies. What is suggested for bug control or repellant on our trip? Look forward to your responses. Thanks JTT

There should be very few if any bugs out at all. I hunted Limpopo June 0f 2011 and although I had the reccomended Muskol (highest DEET available) I never needed to use it. The odd guy gets into some ticks and, since DEET does not work on them, treating your clothes with Permethrin before you go is not a bad precaution, I do all mine with a spray that is formulated for use on sheep, a farm supply store should have some.

There should be very few if any bugs out at all. I hunted Limpopo June 0f 2011 and although I had the reccomended Muskol (highest DEET available) I never needed to use it. The odd guy gets into some ticks and, since DEET does not work on them, treating your clothes with Permethrin before you go is not a bad precaution, I do all mine with a spray that is formulated for use on sheep, a farm supply store should have some.

Totally agree, been to Limpopo twice (May and September) no bugs to worry about but ticks, as stated above spray your clothes with Permethrin before you leave and you should be good.

I used some Watkins stuff with high levels of DEET in it.
Put it on my hands and then lightly covered/rubbed my hands off on my pants before I headed out.
No issues with ticks after that.

Ask your hosts to get you a can of Baydicol, only thing I have found to work on ticks, the little buggers kick my friends out of the way to get to me. As covered cool time of the year so flies and other pests aren't much of an issue.

REI has some of the best clothing treatment i have found.

Spray your clothing the week prior to leaving making sure you cover cuffs inside and out and let your clothing hang in the garage for a few day then wash and pack.

I cover shirts, pants and socks.

The stuff kills ticks and repels fly's.

Sells for about $15.00 a bottle and will treat 2 sets of clothing.

The sheep and goat permethrin from the farm store is a lot cheaper than the stuff formulated for human use. Dilute to 0.8% and soak your clothes in it for a few hours. It is the same active ingredient, just more concentrated than the stuff made for clothing. That will do a good job for ticks, chiggers, etc. Blouse your pants and it works a lot better than if they can just crawl up unimpeded.

DEET helps for mosquitos, etc. 3M ultrathon is time released so you don't have to apply it so frequently. If you are using plain DEET, every two hours.

Thanks for the fantastic info. Sure appreciate the insite. Looking forward to next June!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg