Buffalo Hide Gun Cases

trperk1

AH veteran
Joined
Oct 30, 2022
Messages
237
Reaction score
548
Media
8
Hunting reports
Africa
2
I'm getting my Buff's hide tanned and making a few gun cases with it. I prefer wool Sherpa liner (absorbs moisture and is durable) This isn't available and my choices are: soft suede, fleece or canvass. Any recommendations for rifle and shotgun bags? Keep in mind that I live and hunt in Ohio where moisture is a thing. Thanks
 
Could be my ignorance here, but wouldn’t the fleece option be the closest to your desired lining?
 
Could be my ignorance here, but wouldn’t the fleece option be the closest to your desired lining?
Fleece in this regard is a thin fabric. But a fleece berber would work. I’ll ask
 
I'm getting my Buff's hide tanned and making a few gun cases with it. I prefer wool Sherpa liner (absorbs moisture and is durable) This isn't available and my choices are: soft suede, fleece or canvass. Any recommendations for rifle and shotgun bags? Keep in mind that I live and hunt in Ohio where moisture is a thing. Thanks
Why isn’t the wool sheepskin available? It’s easy to come by. I usually order 20 to 30 of those at a time whenever I make my orders. I would also consider a heavy compressed wool felt liner as well, it’s durable and offers good protection . I too would roll with the real deal if given the choice.
 
Any recommendations on makers who are familiar building a sheepskin lined gun case with our own skins? Im sitting on a few back hides Id like to utilize As well.
 
Any recommendations on makers who are familiar building a sheepskin lined gun case with our own skins? Im sitting on a few back hides Id like to utilize As well.
I can give you a long list of capable builders.

I could help you out, but I’m in the middle of building a new saddle shop now. I’m hoping for an August completion, but more realistically it’s going to be November. Then I’m backlogged a little on other orders.
 
Any gun case makers in Texas? I've got some skins on hand and hopefully some croc and hippo next year.
 
I can give you a long list of capable builders.

I could help you out, but I’m in the middle of building a new saddle shop now. I’m hoping for an August completion, but more realistically it’s going to be November. Then I’m backlogged a little on other orders.
I'd love to see that list, especially if you know some leather workers in the Southeast
 
I’ve been happy with the products this company made from my Buffalo back skin.they give a good price reduction. Using your tanned leather.

 
I'm getting my Buff's hide tanned and making a few gun cases with it. I prefer wool Sherpa liner (absorbs moisture and is durable) This isn't available and my choices are: soft suede, fleece or canvass. Any recommendations for rifle and shotgun bags? Keep in mind that I live and hunt in Ohio where moisture is a thing. Thanks
Fleece, lightly coated in ballistol would be my choice. Everything else has acidic Ph that will get moist and rust your rifle.
 
Any gun case makers in Texas? I've got some skins on hand and hopefully some croc and hippo next year.

Al at James Leddy Boots in Abilene can make custom cases, slings, or any other hunting gear you want from your hides.
 
I'm getting my Buff's hide tanned and making a few gun cases with it. I prefer wool Sherpa liner (absorbs moisture and is durable) This isn't available and my choices are: soft suede, fleece or canvass. Any recommendations for rifle and shotgun bags? Keep in mind that I live and hunt in Ohio where moisture is a thing. Thanks
Murray Custom leather is my go to
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,291
Messages
1,571,887
Members
169,462
Latest member
EaoacoYroacn
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top