BSA Sporter .303

All of the rifles listed in the catalog shots and the photo of the cased rifle seem to have the military style magazine cutoff. Yours does not, though the stock seems to have the relief cut for one. Perhaps removed at some point?

All of the rifles listed in the catalog shots and the photo of the cased rifle seem to have the military style magazine cutoff. Yours does not, though the stock seems to have the relief cut for one.
The stock and receiver are indeed equipped for it and I believe I saw the screw still in place earlier. Best guess is it was removed by a previous owner at some point, although it's possible it never had one installed to begin with. Military SMLEs were produced in a modified form without the cutoff starting in 1915; they brought them back after the war's end and didn't discontinue them until around 1933. It's also a possibility that it was specially ordered without one, I suppose.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a replacement one installed, if the correct one could be obtained. But there were at least six different versions of the cutoff and I don't think they're 100% interchangeable. A seller on ebay has a few No 1 Mk III ones as well as a Magazine Lee-Metford Mk II for sale; the latter would probably be alright...

Last edited:
Photo of the aforementioned case setup I should like to copy. Think I'd add the slot for the bayonet just for funsies...
View attachment 425494
So as a quick follow-up to this post, anybody have a suggestion for where to get a case like this?

I found one maker but I'm not ashamed to say I am not inclined to shell out $3.2K for one...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.55 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.57 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.58 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 64
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 8.51.59 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
So as a quick follow-up to this post, anybody have a suggestion for where to get a case like this?

I found one maker but I'm not ashamed to say I am not inclined to shell out $3.2K for one...

Morning all.

Back in July, I celebrated my 30th birthday and received this rifle as a gift from my family. Thought y'all might like to see it. Based on the proofs, I date it between 1904 and 1925 and a marking on the receiver suggests it was sold out of service in South Africa or thereabouts, so there's probably a few interesting stories in this gun that I fear I'll never uncover. Military-style stock/buttplate with checkering at the wrist and forearm, dust-cover Lee-Metford/Lee-Enfield action sans clip guide with a swept-forward bolt handle and bolt-mounted safety, 5-round sporter/carbine magazine, SMLE-profile barrel with a hooded foresight, rear sights are a trio of fixed/leaf express and a ladder. The sling is floral-tooled leather with a pair of buckles for adjustment. I think I'll have it copied with untooled leather and brass buckles and then have some matching ones made for other rifles. Alas, my camera's been out of commission and my phone's camera is having some focus issues so I can only offer the photos from the listing for now, but here goes.
View attachment 425375View attachment 425376
View attachment 425379View attachment 425384
View attachment 425385View attachment 425390
View attachment 425393View attachment 425394
@WebleyGreene455
I hope the bore is as nice as the outside. All you need now is some nice 215gn soft points from Woodleigh to load up and your set. When you hunt with it take that rattle dust cover off it.
Bob

@WebleyGreene455
I'm sure @Von Gruff could make one for you if he had the time. Send him a PM.
BOB

@WebleyGreene455
I hope the bore is as nice as the outside. All you need now is some nice 215gn soft points from Woodleigh to load up and your set. When you hunt with it take that rattle dust cover off it.
Bob
On the subject of bullets, that BSA catalogue has a neat-looking copper-tube-hollow-point bullet in it. I really wanna know how well they worked...

On the subject of bullets, that BSA catalogue has a neat-looking copper-tube-hollow-point bullet in it. I really wanna know how well they worked...
@WebleyGreene455
Good question but being the date I would almost bet the rear sight are regulated for the 215gn
Good to see you are doing fine mate
Bob

@WebleyGreene455
Good question but being the date I would almost bet the rear sight are regulated for the 215gn
Good to see you are doing fine mate
Bob
I'm not sure about that one, honestly. By the early 1910s, the 174gr Mk VII .303 was in production, so if this rifle does date from circa 1914 or later, it could be a bit of a toss-up between that and the heavier Mk VI. But I also think that since it's still an older-style MLM/MLE action versus the state-of-the-art SMLE of the time, the heavier blunt bullet might feed better.

And yeah, I'm doing about as fine as I can be, I reckon. Haven't posted a whole lot on here of late but I'm still around.

I'm not sure about that one, honestly. By the early 1910s, the 174gr Mk VII .303 was in production, so if this rifle does date from circa 1914 or later, it could be a bit of a toss-up between that and the heavier Mk VI. But I also think that since it's still an older-style MLM/MLE action versus the state-of-the-art SMLE of the time, the heavier blunt bullet might feed better.

And yeah, I'm doing about as fine as I can be, I reckon. Haven't posted a whole lot on here of late but I'm still around.
@WebleyGreene455
Feeding will not be an issue with either but being a hunting rifle it is more likely to be regulated to the 215s. I can't think of any lighter sporting ammo from that era even kynoch. I could be wrong tho.
Good to see you are keeping well mate and your still getting on with your rentals ok.
Bob

@WebleyGreene455
Feeding will not be an issue with either but being a hunting rifle it is more likely to be regulated to the 215s. I can't think of any lighter sporting ammo from that era even kynoch. I could be wrong tho.
Good to see you are keeping well mate and your still getting on with your rentals ok.
Bob
Ah yeah the rentals...

Had to go through an irritating eviction process with a couple of deadbeats. They're gone now, left some of their stuff (yay salvage rights), and the unit is in a bit of a suspicious state. Everyone I've described it to says they were probably doing drugs... But at least they're out and we can get it rented to someone who isn't gonna screw us over.

All of the rifles listed in the catalog shots and the photo of the cased rifle seem to have the military style magazine cutoff. Yours does not, though the stock seems to have the relief cut for one. Perhaps removed at some point?
In a couple of weeks, with some fortune, it will no longer lack a cutoff. Should have one starting its journey to me all the way from South Africa tomorrow.

@Red Leg

Arrived from Cape Town yesterday evening! Took a bit longer than expected, must've gone by the scenic route.
KIMG0879.jpg
KIMG0880.jpg

I'll have another couple photos when it's installed.

~~W.G.455

Nice to have for authenticities sake but almost always had mine open unless at the range for single loading when testing etc.

Nice to have for authenticities sake but almost always had mine open unless at the range for single loading when testing etc.
Chances are, so will it be with this one. It's only a 5-round magazine and I'm not some conscript who's never had a bolt-action repeater in the days of ranked volley fire. And I can always take it back off again if I find it bothersome.

It isn't bothersome but I found that with it projecting from the side of the rifle, I noticed it a couple oftimes hunting but certainly not enough to remove it. I have the 5 shot mag as well and no, I never "shot it dry" on a hunt so certainly no need for a 10 rounder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg