Browning FN - Talk Me Out of It

The Browning Safari is a really good Mauser clone. I wouldn’t be too worried about salt wood. The few rifles I’ve seen that had those stocks were easily fixed with a new stock and rarely a a bit of cosmetic type refinishing. It’s another product gremlin that has attained mythical status in the gun community. I’m sure there have been guns that were totally scrapped, but I have never seen one. By now, those guns are already in the scrap yard. Buy it and enjoy!

The Browning Safari is a really good Mauser clone. I wouldn’t be too worried about salt wood. The few rifles I’ve seen that had those stocks were easily fixed with a new stock and rarely a a bit of cosmetic type refinishing. It’s another product gremlin that has attained mythical status in the gun community. I’m sure there have been guns that were totally scrapped, but I have never seen one. By now, those guns are already in the scrap yard. Buy it and enjoy!

Some were restocked and refinished by browning, some by their owners and some just used. They are out there. Not too long ago there was a 458 safari on GB and it was rusting out of every orifice. I have seen others that were refinished and some that were rusty below the stockline. It might have depended on where the stock blanks were in the pile as well?

I'm fairly certain the stock is European Walnut and not American (Missouri Salt Wood?) or Claro (California Salt Wood).

If I'm wrong I don't think I will get hurt at the price. I'm just trying to talk myself out of another cartridge to load for.
It wasnt where the wood was from, but how it was treated in the drying process.

It wasnt where the wood was from, but how it was treated in the drying process.

All the salt wood was treated in America. To the best of my knowledge no European Walnut was sent to America for treatment.

The wood that was treated in California was all Claro Walnut to the best of my knowledge. The wood that was treated in Missouri may have been American Walnut although I have never seen any confirmation of that.

Last edited:
But the point it is, it was the treatment itself, not the species of wood.
There is no California or Missouri "Salt wood".

If you buy it ,keep the ,308 NM,they dont grow on trees,cases are easy to make ,and Norma make ammo for it , factory version of the wildcw .30-338 .

I just purchased one in 308 Norma, has hardly been fired. Second owner never did fire it.

Going to pull it out of the stock to take a peek.

I have my father's Belgium Browning in 338, a beautiful one in 375 and now the 308 Norma.

A nice trio.

Couldn't find any brass at the moment, but ordered 4 boxes of Norma 180 gr , and I was given an old box of Norma dual core with a weird plastic tipped bullet. Full box.

PXL_20210903_025037202.MP.jpg
PXL_20210903_025041799.jpg

The only way to really confirm no saltwood is to pull the barreled action out of the stock to examine it. As a 1970 gun it could be either. I have owned 5 Browning Safari Grades 2 of which were saltwood guns. I sold those and still have the 3 others and they are superb rifles, the long extractor guns being the best. Be careful, look it over well.

Love the browning Safari’s
I'm like you Cody. Have been tempted several times. I have never owned one, but am tempted every time I run across one. I have came close in the past on an '06, .300 and a .375. but have left the store before I pulled out the checkbook.

A few pics. Barrel is dirty needs a good cleaning, stock looks good, no cracks.

No idea if it is a saltwood, metal has some small amounts of corrosion, not sure if saltwood is the culprit or just being exposed to elements and not cared for good enough in the last 54 years.

I would imagine it will still look well in another 54, long after I am dust.

PXL_20210903_165329678.jpg

PXL_20210903_165351536.jpg

PXL_20210903_165755807.jpg

PXL_20210903_170609715.MP.jpg

PXL_20210903_171627577.jpg

PXL_20210903_172912160.jpg

I have had and still have several FN action's with the long claw, hard to beat this action for smooth feeding and just a general well finished feel. The boys and girls that put these together are from a different era, none of this cheap shit you can buy new today, these gun's are a steal on today's market

I doubt if it is salty, if it who cares, not much damage in 54 years, it will outlast everyone of us on the forum

7L is 1967 so the beginning of salt, could have a bit of salt but you never know till you test it, you can buy the solution from Midwest Gunworks I believe. I have a rebarreled 9.3x62 that is a 37xxx SN so it was before this gun, stock doesn't look salty, thanks for the clue

My 338 that was my father's has a 6L, the 375 has a 7L, neither have any corrosion. The 338 has been used a lot, so it has a bunch of honest wear.

The 375 still looks new.

Quick question regarding bases for these old long action Browning's, my father's has a one piece steel base, has been on the rifle since shortly after he bought it in the 60's. The 375 hasn't had bases on it yet. The 308 Norma has the cheap weaver aluminum 45 and 46.

What are you guys running for bases on yours? I would imagine anything compatible with the 98 should work on this?

PXL_20210903_174034440.jpg

PXL_20210903_174313669.MP.jpg

If it is saltwood, it's nothing compared to a Browning T2 T-Bolt I had. Red rust on the action and barrel at the stock line. Completely pitted the metal before I found it! I don't think you have to worry about that being saltwood.

1970 Browning (FN Mauser) High-Power Safari .308 Norma Magnum - 96% Condition plus missing rear sight. No signs of salt wood (no corrosion around cross bolts, or recoil pad bolts, no crumbly wood). The price feels like stealing. Talk me out of it.
@2L8
Why talk you out of it. If you want it and feel it's a good buy just get it and enjoy.
The 308 Norma is a great cartridge. If'n you don't like the cartridge you can always run a 300 Weatherby reamer into it.
Bob

Well if you pass on it, let me know where it is because one more to load for won’t bother me! Lol. Love the browning Safari’s
@Bullthrower338
Cody I was waiting for that, maybe @2L8 can give you the contact details and get it before he does.
Bob

If you are still concerned please PM me. I will gladly take this problem off your hands. I have a 308 Norma Mag as well as a sufficient supply of brass along with the necessary dies to reload for it. Your problem is solved!!
@Shootist43
Art your generosity is only exceeded by your good looks.
That is a very nice offer that @2L8 should seriously consider.
It would add to your stable of Sweedes. The only problem I see is you will then have to get a 358 Norma but that isn't a big deal.
Bob

My 338 that was my father's has a 6L, the 375 has a 7L, neither have any corrosion. The 338 has been used a lot, so it has a bunch of honest wear.

The 375 still looks new.

Quick question regarding bases for these old long action Browning's, my father's has a one piece steel base, has been on the rifle since shortly after he bought it in the 60's. The 375 hasn't had bases on it yet. The 308 Norma has the cheap weaver aluminum 45 and 46.

What are you guys running for bases on yours? I would imagine anything compatible with the 98 should work on this?

View attachment 421978

View attachment 421979
@machinistbutler , I realize this is an older post; but I am just now seeing it and might as well answer your question. On my 1968 Safari Grade 308 Norma Mag that I inherited from my father, there is a one-piece Redfield base; which has probably been on there since new. I've been able to find these vintage bases on Ebay from time-to-time for other Safari Grades, in case you are looking. Mine is topped with a Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8B 2.5-8X scope of the same time period.

Browning_Safari308Norma.jpg

PS - reading through this thread, I get the sense that the OP missed his window for acquiring the 308NM; and sounds like he could have got it for a song. Fantastic rifles they are, and I wouldn't hesitate buying one in this caliber at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois