Brno?

7x57Joe

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Could someone explain the difference between the Models 21H and 22F? Barrel length? Thanks

They started off with a round receiver in both sporter and full-stock configurations. Later the receiver changed to a square bridge with dovetails to accomodate the use of a scope - serial number 23000. The boldguide was added and the butter knife bolt handle bent accordingly to accommodate a telescope. The last production runs around 1954/55 had a normal bolthandle prior to transition to the ZG47.

Two barrel lengths were available, nl 20&1/2” and 23&1/2”.
They were originally known as 721 and 722, but later as simply Mod21 and Mod22.

Unfortunately neither CZ or Brno have info available on them any longer, and the catalogues of the late 40’s and early 50’s contradict each other regarding the nomenclature. Thalson & Co imported them to the US, and their catalogue had the first round receiver models as Mod21H or F, the letters H&F standing for half or full stock, and after the change to the receiver they became Mod22H or F.

European catalogues sometimes depicted the Mod21 as the sporter and the Mod22 as the fullstock or carbine.

001.jpg

002.JPG

These photos should give an idea of the progression from the first to the latter models

Thank you Dewald for the explanation and photos.

In Canada the conventional accepted naming of Brno models is Model 21 - longer barrel rifle and model 22 - short barrel carbine. Either may be encountered with half stock (H) or full stock (F) I presently own a model 21H 8x57s and a model 22F 7x57. I have seen factory original 21F and 22H rifles as well but they are far less common.

here's what I believe is an old USA sales brochure, with the "7" blacked out of the model name. These have the same barrel length, just different stock styles.

BRNO21brochure-1-1.jpg
Brno2122.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Had never heard of the 7 designation before. Remington of course had its 721 and 722 rifles also.

In Canada the conventional accepted naming of Brno models is Model 21 - longer barrel rifle and model 22 - short barrel carbine. Either may be encountered with half stock (H) or full stock (F) I presently own a model 21H 8x57s and a model 22F 7x57. I have seen factory original 21F and 22H rifles as well but they are far less common.

Longwalker I agree with this description.

Be it as it may they are lovely rifles. I have a short barreled round receiver 7x57 and a long barreled DSB 6,5x57. Both with half stocks. Both have a fit and finish that the later Brnos never had

CZ would have done well to keep these stock shapes instead of the thick, cumbersome pieces of lumber they put on their 550s.

I have a 21F and a 21H. The full stock one is an 8x60 with round receiver. It does have a cutout for the bolt-guide, but the bolt does not have the guide. The bolt on the later 7x57 21H with scope rails does. The bolt handles were never modified at factory to clear low mounted scopes, I believe, and all I have seen so far were modified by a gunsmith. The only exception would be the ZG47 style bolts, that may have been fitted at factory during crossover years.

The reason the model numbers are confusing is because in Czechia, the guns are only known as Zs (to denote Zbrojovka Brno early models as opposed to later name CZ, Ceska/Ceskoslovenska Zbrojovka Brno). Z designation could have also been a naming carry over (they started with Zetor - Z-tractor and Z designation for their cars), so this could have been Z-rifle and people took to naming it Zetka (zet) as nobody used Zet but rather Zetor for the tractor. In all cases I'm sure Z stood for Zbrojovka. And then they were distinguished as rifle or carbine and full stock or half-stock. No model numbers as far as I know. I keep wanting to visit the factory and ask directly just for this, as nobody seems to know the model numbers.

I love these Brnos the most, but I do not like that the safety does not lock the bolt in closed position when on. I love my Brnos/CZs but there always seems to be just that one thing that makes me cringe. I think mod 21/22 with the ZG 47 bolt is probably the best combo ever. Small receiver, nice stock, nice bolt, smooth safety.

Last edited:
while lacking a bit of finesse, to my taste the newer straightest classic 550 stocks are a better design than any brno ever made.
bruce.
I think most BRNO/CZ stocks are good as for some reason they seem to shoulder very well and keep the rifle from recoiling much, regardless of caliber. But on the other hand, I like the straight classic ZKK 600 stocks even better, yet not as much as the 21/22 models. ;)

A Brno Model 21 is a half stock rifle. A Brno Model 22 is a full stock (stutzen) rifle. The H and F suffixes are a North American invention. The rifle shown by Von Gruff is unusual for NZ as it still has the double-set trigger. The rifles imported brand new to NZ. all came with double-set triggers but the vast majority were converted, after original retail purchase, to single trigger operation.

CZ would have done well to keep these stock shapes instead of the thick, cumbersome pieces of lumber they put on their 550s.
Amen Dude (y)

Dang it Bruce, are you going to complain when you meet Charlize Theron and she's too tall o_O

if that is a spoon bolt handle, something needs doing about that too.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg