Brass availability for Big Game cartridges

Hunter4752001

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
As we all know, reloading components have been in short supply for quite a while. Recently US based adds indicate that supplies of some of the more common calibres, (.223 308 9mm etc) are becoming available. All well and good for that sector of the market. But what about the Big Game cartridges? Does anyone have any info on when the major manufacturers are likely to start putting out quantities of brass in .375, 458, 404 etc.

In US RCC brass could be a able to support big game brass.

In Europe in near future SHM ( http://huelsenmanufaktur.de ) will increase its production capabilities and will offer big game brass. They invested in new presses and material to be able to produce brass like 416 Rigby or 500 Jeffery, maybe also NE calibers.

The company Horneber has stopped production (Dieter Horneber retired), the company has been sold to Johannsen (gunsmith and gun dealer) who will relocate the production and will start beginning of 2022 with the production. So there will be in future again a source for big game brass.

That’s interesting about Johannsen expanding into brass manufacturing. I guess this is good news, they usually have stock of reloading supplies for big cartridges, I’ve purchased brass, projectiles and dies from them before. Given that they manufacture M98 magnum actions it’s likely they’ll be making large cases also.

Have been on the the search for a not so popular cartridge brass from two manufacturers. One told me April/May of next year and the other said fall of 2022. Was told the issue was getting material.

Correct, the availability of brass raw material is a bottleneck.
Brass manufacturers depend on raw material in specific dimensions, which is short on the market.
The owner of SHM now developed new tooling to handle also other dimensions to have more flexibility in future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you