Bow set up and arrows for eland

keegangobey

Reaction score
Media
Hey Guys

awesome to be a part of this forum!

I could be doing a eland hunt in zim sometime this year and have a few questions.
What is enough poundage?? my bow is at around 68.
my arrow weight is 485 grains shooting a 125gr broadhead.
which broadheads do you recommend???? and any other advice???

Thanx

I'm not a bow expert but have seen a couple of eland taken with the bow they are huge in first place big bulls in prime condition tip the scales at 2000 pounds. They are very alert one of the most difficult to get with a bow and you must get the right angle do a search on some videos on youtube and you will see half of the eland taken the arrows dont even penetrate full.

So you will need serious penetration !!!! Good luck and patience enjoy.

Get yourself some German Kinetics you can’t go wrong!

Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

keegangobey,

First welcome to the forum. I was lucky enough to take a cape eland with Dries Visser Safaris last year with my bow. They estimated his weight at around 1900 lbs. My bow was set up as follows:
Bow: Mathews Z7, 30 in draw, 73 lbs draw weight
Arrow: Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows
Broadhead: Shuttle T-Lock 100 grain
Total Arrow weight: ~420 grains

On the 3rd day of my hunt a huge eland bull offered me a perfect shot. He was quartering away very slightly and I tucked the arrow right into the crease angling through the lungs and heart. With the angle, I did not get a pass through as I hit bone on the off side. Even with this hit my trophy ran well over 100 yards before we found him.

As this was my first safari, I would not call myself experienced, but my opinion is that even though eland are large animals they don't have a skin of armor not overly tough ribs. Put a well constructed broadhead on the front of a medium weight arrow in the right spot and you will kill them.

Here is a photo of my eland:

watermark.php

Hope the info helps.

nd

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there

I have quite the passion for bowhunting eland.

Let me put it to you this way, when you hear the bull walking and his hooves are making the click click noises, youre hart wants to jump out your throught. I know mine does and most of the time I am not the one with the bow in my hand.
When your dream eland gets close enough you will agree with me 100%.

Concerning your setup
nr 1. you are pulling enough pounds
nr 2. I would suggest a full metal jacket arrow (this is my opinion) if you are more comfortable with your arrows, dont v
change!!
nr 3. Broadheads!!!! I have hunted species with many many different types of broadheads. Firstly you do not want to go mechanical!!! There are only two broadheads I would feel comfortable shooting an Eland with and those are G5's montec and muzzy 3 blade, both of them in 125gr.

An important thing is to keep your angle in mind> Eland have very thick and big bone structure, you never want to go on the shoulder. Doing that will ensure that you get to know your hunting area very well trying to find your bull.

the very positive thing is, when you are a comfortable shot with your bow, you shouldnt struggle to shout your bull, they have a big kill zone!!!

Well futher more, I wish you all the luck and I hope you have a tariffic hunt!!!

I have to totally agree with Chris's comment above about the clicking noises. That sound is one of my most vivid memories from Africa. We actually heard them coming from behind the blind before we saw them.

nd

I hope this helps. Just remember to go straight up the leg for a broadside shot and not to far back.

eland-shot-placement.jpg

Attachments

• eland-shot-placement.jpg
    eland-shot-placement.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 4,461
Although Eland do come across as incredibly big and daunting animals they are fairly easily taken with archery equipment, the key is shot placement. Take some time to study pictures like those posted above to aknowledge yourself with the anatomy of the animal and be patient when waiting for your shot oppertunity. Any broadside or quatering away shot through the heart-lung area will put the animal on the ground in less than 100 paces.

You don't nessicarily need a high poundage set up to comfortably take a mature Eland bull, any modern bow in the region of 60 pounds and up with a decently heavy arrow (8 g.p.p / 8 grains per pound draw weight) and a shaving sharp broadhead will suffice. Just make absolutely sure of your shot placement, RIGHT ON OR VERY TIGHT behind the shoulder a third of the way up will put your arrow right on the money. For example, I would suggest a 60 to 70 pound bow with a 500gr + arrow tipped with a decent cut-on-contact broadhead like a Muzzy Phantom.

All the best,

Engee Potgieter

Here is for some visual...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theron03S

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!