Bow hunting large animals - is it ethical?

A bow has no "knock down" power. A arrow and broad head was designed to cause death by blood loss,cutting arteries and piercing lungs and other vital organs.
I am sure head shots have been taken at soft skin game with a bow and worked,on DG the skulls are far thicker and better protected. Screw a 500gr solid onto a arrow and see how it does as far as penetration goes,you would be lucky to kill a bird. Can't compare bullets with arrows,two tools working on completely different principles.

I have seen a video of somebody attempting a head shot once, on a Waterbuck and would definitely say that it is NOT advised.

As you say "Can't compare bullets with arrows,two tools working on completely different principles."

Regards

First all I am a bow hunter. have been for going on 50 years. you study the anatomy of the animal you are hunting. take broadside shots ,or quartering away. to me a head shot is un ethical.
you have not defined large game, everyone is talking about the big 5. but eland, kudu ,zebra ,elk ,bear, ect. yes it is ethical. I am with some of the others on elephant. I have never hunted elephant and don't think I would with a bow. I am sure you can kill a elephant ethically with a bow, just getting the CLEAR SHOT at the right angle. if it charges hope the ph can shoot . Forrest

First off. I have respect for the bow hunters out there. The reward in taking any game with a bow is "twice the reward" as I consider it twice as difficult to bag whatever game you are after than the rifle hunter.

That said, in the case of any Dangerous Game I believe the PH,Trackers, Trophy Fees etc should also receive "twice the reward". Meaning that if you want to hunt Elephant with a bow you should be willing to pay twice as much as the rifle hunter because the level of danger and the work is twice as hard.

Now, I am sure I will get some sort of backlash from this stance so let's here it gentlemen. :V Sword Fight:

R.
I completely disagree redruff. Every PH I've had the pleasure to have known has always put in 100% effort. Despite what some stupid coaches say, there's no such thing as giving 110%. It may take longer to get to shooting range but that's all.

For my nickles worth, I personally believe that a bow and arrow is fine for any large animal and that includes the big 5 as long as you use the proper size arrow and broad head. But you as the archer need to place your shot into the heart/lung area to get the job done and if you do a few minutes later the animal will be down. I also don't think that it is unnecessarily dangerous to use a bow and arrow. I remember watching the show American Sportsman back in the 60 with Fred Bear hunting a brown bear in Alaska. He said that as long as the bear doesn't know that you are there that they have no idea of where that thing came from that hurt them. But using a rifle they know right were you are when it goes off.

As for a charge stopper, you have got to be kidding me.......It takes time to kill by cutting. I have seen a couple of shows where the archer has killed a brown bear with a shot to the head but that is the exception rather than the rule and I personally think that they were idiots for trying or taking that shot.

I completely disagree redruff. Every PH I've had the pleasure to have known has always put in 100% effort. Despite what some stupid coaches say, there's no such thing as giving 110%. It may take longer to get to shooting range but that's all.

I respect your position. And you are right...it does take longer to get to shooting range which in most cases is means closer and thus more danger. I just believe that PH's should be paid more because of these added factors.

R.

Well this should give you "shits and giggles" is it practical ?
NO ! Aim true ...shoot straight ....with what every you use and as always Good luck and play safe !
Glen

I respect your position. And you are right...it does take longer to get to shooting range which in most cases is means closer and thus more danger. I just believe that PH's should be paid more because of these added factors.

R.

That is where tips come into play.

That is where tips come into play.
Tips are an optional amount. If the trophy fee was twice the amount for a bow hunter than a rifle Hunter and it was fixed. That covers the added danger and time needed. And again I would expect the same PH to receive an adequate tip.

R,

A hunt is only dangerous if someone can shoot straight, otherwise a bow hunt is the same as any other hunt. Probably more rewarding according to my experiences, because most likely you will have to get super close and get only one shot.
I have many friends that have taken the BIG 5 with bow and arrow....they had no problems. I would not consider myself no less a hunter than them, they had more time and deeper pockets than me. It took a lot of hunts to collect those animals. One guy took 3 leopard hunts to get his animal. And the money thing never bothered me....otherwise we couldn't be friends.

A hunt is only dangerous if someone can shoot straight, otherwise a bow hunt is the same as any other hunt. Probably more rewarding according to my experiences, because most likely you will have to get super close and get only one shot.
I have many friends that have taken the BIG 5 with bow and arrow....they had no problems. I would not consider myself no less a hunter than them, they had more time and deeper pockets than me. It took a lot of hunts to collect those animals. One guy took 3 leopard hunts to get his animal. And the money thing never bothered me....otherwise we couldn't be friends.

are you saying "a hunt is only dangerous if someone can't shoot strait"?

i hope you dont mean that, considering the PH's that have been injured or killed recently were all excellent shots and still fell to dangerous game. dangerous game are dangerous regardless of your shooting skill. you could be the best shot in the world and still be killed by the buffalo you didn't see in the bushes. wounded animals aren't the only animals that charge.

-matt

are you saying "a hunt is only dangerous if someone can't shoot strait"?

Sure there are always other dangers, but if you bow hunt, you pick your hunting situations. Matt, I appreciate your big bore desires but plenty of big game have been brought down by the 375 H&H you sold. Accuracy is usually final, all that extra power is more ego than anything. Power may be need by a PH working everyday, but I only know a handful of people that can handle anything bigger than a .416 Rigby. Most people honestly would be lucky to hit a pie plate at 100 yards.
On the flip side I know plenty of people that don't even own a 375 H&H and have shot practical everything anywhere with a simple bow and arrow.

Another interesting discussion so here is my two cents worth though I doubt it to be worth so much. My yard stick for the use of a particular weapon has always been if you be would comfortable to use it alone on your chosen quarry then it will be a fair choice for a guided hunt. If you are genuinely confident in your own abilities and your weapons good and well. For mine the PH should be there for back up not as an extention of the hunter when it comes to shooting time.

Bowhunting really taught me the art of shot placement, patience and the ability to handle your adrenaline / nerves.

If your shot is good, then 100% yes.

Same as a rifle, if your shot is bad, you still going to have to follow up with a another shot.

As a side note I think our much discussed "Cecil" was shot with a crossbow from some of the reports I read- so much misinformation out there so don't know if that is true or not. I have a growing interest in bows and crossbows so I try to read all I can. If the crossbow reference is true I think most crossbows these days have some pretty whopping kinetic energy but if not put in the right place it can be a problem. If true I'm not sure if crossbows are even legal in Zimbabwe..
Cross bows ate not legal to hunt with in zim.

When done correctly. Bow hunting should be a perfect ambush/ sniping position. The animal should have no idea you are there and therefore a charge situation should not develop.
However we all know shit happens so the PH has to get involved.

Ado

Just as was said, there are different calibers of rifles out there, with that there are also different bullets based on the job they have to do. it is the same with bows and arrows. Enough animals have been hunted with bows to prove that all Africa game (including the big 5) can be taken ethically with a bow and arrow. The question and answer is the same for both rifle and Bow. You need to reach the vitals with your projectile, you need to disrupt the oxygen flow to the brain and muscle, a rifle does that with disruption and tearing of tissue, the arrow does that through cutting. In both cases you either puncture the lungs and chest cavity, they collapse depriving the blood brain of oxygen or you can damage the heart and arteries and deprive the oxygen of their transport by an drop in blood pressure.
Just as it is the rifle hunters responsibility to select the appropriate caliber, bullet of significant strength to hold together to reach the vitals it is the archers responsibility to make sure he is using the appropriate arrow,broad head and bow of sufficient power to propel that combination into the vitals to ensure a quick death

Ethical hunting is not having the right equipment, that is common sense, ethical hunting is not taking the shot when you are not 100% sure that it will be a quick clean kill

Happy hunting

Ado

Just as was said, there are different calibers of rifles out there, with that there are also different bullets based on the job they have to do. it is the same with bows and arrows. Enough animals have been hunted with bows to prove that all Africa game (including the big 5) can be taken ethically with a bow and arrow. The question and answer is the same for both rifle and Bow. You need to reach the vitals with your projectile, you need to disrupt the oxygen flow to the brain and muscle, a rifle does that with disruption and tearing of tissue, the arrow does that through cutting. In both cases you either puncture the lungs and chest cavity, they collapse depriving the blood brain of oxygen or you can damage the heart and arteries and deprive the oxygen of their transport by an drop in blood pressure.
Just as it is the rifle hunters responsibility to select the appropriate caliber, bullet of significant strength to hold together to reach the vitals it is the archers responsibility to make sure he is using the appropriate arrow,broad head and bow of sufficient power to propel that combination into the vitals to ensure a quick death

Ethical hunting is not having the right equipment, that is common sense, ethical hunting is not taking the shot when you are not 100% sure that it will be a quick clean kill

Happy hunting
Thanks Condebr.

I am still questioning this though.

By this rationale it would be ethical to hunt an elephant with a 6mm as long as you place your shot properly...

Have I got this wrong?

Ado

Thanks Condebr.

I am still questioning this though.

By this rationale it would be ethical to hunt an elephant with a 6mm as long as you place your shot properly...

Have I got this wrong?

Ado

Yes you have got it wrong, it is not what I said.

lets take an elephant as the example. If you have a custom solid bullet made for the 6mm, and you have a perfect broadside shot, get to the exact elevation of his brain, and you shoot it perfectly in the ear canal as to minimize Resistance with bone, yes you could kill an elle with a 6mm. but in the hunting field, what are the chances of getting such a shot, if you are off by 10mm it will not penetrate.

The projectile MUST damage enough tissue/arteries to be effective, this is why a limit of .375 was introduced for big game. it has enough speed(power) with a heavy enough bullet (momentum) to reliably penetrate far enough to reach the vitals, also the diameter of the round will create a big enough permanent wound cavity to destroy enough tissue to be fatal. The same with Bowhunting applies. My setup for plains game is a lighter poundage bow (60#)with a lighter arrow - typically between 400 and 500gr. For elephant this bow will have to be between 90 and 100# draw-weight and the arrows will be between 1100 and 1200gr. As with any hunt shot placement is key, but this should give a passthrough on a broadside heart lung shot. If I tried the same shot with my plains setup i would get poor penetration due to not having enough momentum, ie i will not damage enough tissue to be fatal

Con

I have to agree with several of these posts. I have seen animals killed with one arrow, yet I have seen animals wounded with several. I have also seen animals killed with one bullet, yet have seen them wounded with many. I believe any weapon is sufficient in the hands of an efficient hunter. We all have a duty to the animal to make an ethical kill and although misfortunes happen beyond our control at times, its up to us to remain over-prepared for the situation. As far as archery equipment, I use equipment that kills effectively. I happen to use heavier arrows, sharp 2 blade broadheads, and I pull as much weight as I can handle without compromising accuracy. When hunting whitetails my setup is shooting around 70 ft/lbs of KE and when I come to Africa for larger game next year, my setup will be around 97 ft/lbs of KE. Hope this helps and good luck to all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross