Bow hunting Cape Buffalo cow

I have hunted a lot of Buff cows with a bow and the one thing I learned fast was that a cow is as hard as any bull and twice as cheeky.

Either sex charges, you had best be up a tree with your bow. :)

I have hunted a lot of Buff cows with a bow and the one thing I learned fast was that a cow is as hard as any bull and twice as cheeky. They are all like a pissed-off alley cat that got showered with a hose pipe and lost his rat.

Never take them for granted. They charge just like any bull and they keep grudges. They also tend to do it all in packs so watch o
I never change from a heavier setup for a bull to a lighter setup for a cow. The heavy combination works every time.

Experience speaking here,so true!

Zenbear,

I arrowed a cow buff this past July. I took her with a single arrow weighing 1050 grains tipped with a VPA Penetrator 300 grain two blade head. I used an eighty pound PSE X-Force. My arrow chronoed at 216 fps. A friend shot another cow with his bow set at 77 pounds. He was using a 750 grain arrow. I cannot remember which broadhead. He had troubles (shot placement was high) and ended up killing his buff with a rifle. I really liked the VPA broadhead. I honed them to a razor's edge:

Vantage Point Archery Penetrator 2-Blade Broadheads

Good luck with your hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg