BOTSWANA: Botswana Safari With NKWE SAFARIS

Congratulations @Aaron.F !
Looking forward to the full hunting report ;)

Wow!
You got me hooked! Botswana is totally interesting! Eagerly waiting for your full, detailed and illustrated report! Photos above are great! Congrats!

Remember: Detailed report!!!!

Hi @Aaron.F … curious, did you select May for a specified reason or just how the dates fell?

For me, May is a special month for PG hunting - both, quality weather & +/- the Rut can bump ^ the odds abit w/ mature males willingness to group w/ females.

Hi @NKWE SAFARIS … Q: preferred hunting month for planning purposes & not meant to be a loaded question. ;)
March: Eland Rut?
* May: I suspect, hit the peak rut for Kudu, Impala & Warthog?
* Sept: Rescinding Delta & Barbel Run plus Hot (?) Tiger fishing?

Relatively accurate w/ these thoughts/assumptions? Thx.
You are correct sir. Also the bush is thinned out a bit more in Sept. All the months are great hunting. You can also hit the kudu rut end of April.

Arrived home late this last Saturday night. We had an amazing experience in Botswana overall and the hunt with NKWE Safaris was simply outstanding and awesome. My brothers and I harvested 20 trophies…they may not all be trophies to some but they are to us. Here are some of the photos:View attachment 469095View attachment 469096View attachment 469097View attachment 469098View attachment 469099View attachment 469100
Hi Aaron - So, this is my first post on this website. Have looked at your hunt pics and confirmed that I'm glad I recently booked with N K W E for my first Africa hunt in June 2023. Two friends of mine from our gun club hunted with them in June and were very pleased. For one guy, it was his first Africa hunt and for the other it was his 15th or so, but his first in Botswana. The second guy is our "point man" working with Matt for this trip and we have 4 hunters (including me) and 2 observers. I think I'll be the oldest "Africa hunt newbie" at 70 when we go next year. Been hunting deer, elk, and antelope for 40+ years, but totally looking forward to Botswana. Any details about preparation you would want to offer would be appreciated.

@RichD

Thx for your 1st Post & Congrat’s on locking down dates for your 1st African Adventure & I like to say, “ … a Daydream with a Deadline!”

Age: Africa suits the youngest & most seasoned hunters very well & a great place to Notch Your Belt on an Adventure regardless of experience/age. *Tip: always be honest w/ your PH if you have a linger “football injury” ;) cuz some PH will walk your wheels off!

Trophies: I’ve hunted Eastern Region of Namibia often that borders & mirrors the Ghanzi or Western Region of Bots, a great 1st location trip & it may spoil you w/ the quality of Kudu & Eland & @ very fair (below avg.) trophy fees! My Thought: Kudu, Eland, Blue Willy, Impala & Zebra … don’t under-estimate the hunt challenge of the Zebra merely because it doesn’t have horns.

Topo: I’ve road tripped through the Ghanzi Region & up into Namibia Caprivi Strip. The Ghanzi does not have challenging Hill Country to transverse but a good mix of open savannah & thick bushveldt. Some stalks can be in the thick stuff & shots < 100M so consider when looking @ gear.

Clothing: June is a temperate month, beginning of their Winter but being desert env. you can easily have a 30F swing change, 50’s in AM & 80’s in the PM. Boots: personal choice but worth having a chat w/ experienced ones in the group.

Caliber/Rounds: look @ your toughest trophy on the Hit List & build from that. The member w/ 15th trips can guide you down this path w/ ease but consider this … Africa, great reason (excuse!) to read/search then buy/set-up a caliber/round you wouldn’t normally purchase for N. American.

I have a 9.3x62 on a 232 grain Norma just drooling for its 1st Bots Trip &
originally planned, May 2014 w/ Kanana … Operator known for limited hunters & Big Kudu! BUT the Bots Pres. !*%&$#@! that trip up w/ a new hunting ban & Kanana obliged when they didn’t have to & the brothers really never opened back up.

Today: I equally have NKWE on my short-list …

Taxidermy: arrange early as it’s very limited.

Happy Trails!

Hi Aaron - So, this is my first post on this website. Have looked at your hunt pics and confirmed that I'm glad I recently booked with N K W E for my first Africa hunt in June 2023. Two friends of mine from our gun club hunted with them in June and were very pleased. For one guy, it was his first Africa hunt and for the other it was his 15th or so, but his first in Botswana. The second guy is our "point man" working with Matt for this trip and we have 4 hunters (including me) and 2 observers. I think I'll be the oldest "Africa hunt newbie" at 70 when we go next year. Been hunting deer, elk, and antelope for 40+ years, but totally looking forward to Botswana. Any details about preparation you would want to offer would be appreciated.
As I have stated previously this was my first safari, so there was a bit of a learning curve. Things are a few things I would have done differently or that I did right and want to pass along;

Clothing and such
- Where layers of clothing, temps when we were there went from mid 30's to maybe low 80's.
- Take some light weight gloves, I did not, whish I would have.
- Take a light weight stocking cap and a gaiter, I used merino wool for both, was perfect.
- My outer layer was a thin fleece, it was a mistake caught on everything.
- Thorns and brush everywhere, possibly long sleeve t shirt for bottom layer, to protect arms.
- Started out with boonie style hat, got caught on too much, ended up with baseball style hat.
- My wife had a bigger hat and had no issues, maybe I am clumsy.
- I used a 6 round cartridge carrier and had ammo in rifle, was perfect.
- I put way to much thought in boots, I took a pair of old mid-high Keens, perfect.
- I wore pants, no need for gaiters.

Hunting stuff
- Practice shooting off of sticks, which I did, just not enough. The shots will be very quick, you have about 3-5 seconds, this is what I was not entirely prepared for.
- You will not necessarily be given broad side shots at standing animals, at least if you are out stalking. Plan on shooting through a bit of grass and brush at not perfect angles.
-The hunt will be tailor made you you and your abilities, but it goes without saying, be in the best shape you can be.

Camp and Staff
- We arrived in camp and was told the camp was ours.
- My wife went with me out hunting everyday. She was treated amazingly by everyone, but was also treated like one of the guys as well. She loved it.
- Godfrey the camp cook is absolutely amazing, the food was awesome and he made my wife like royalty. It was really special experience for her..
- The bushman trackers., simply unbelievable Their ability to spot and track game is unreal and would not believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. I say this a trapper, I look at tracks all the time and couldn't touch their agility, it was almost supernatural.
- Jaco (head PH) and Ampie (Assistant PH) were the best, it felt like I was hunting with my buddies the whole time. My wife and I hunted with Ampie and my 2 brothers went with Jaco for the week. We all had an absolute blast, I am not just saying that, we would not change a thing.
- My brother's tagged out early and Jaco took them out for some absolutely awesome wing shooting. Jaco also let my brother shoot a zebra with his 500 double rifle, you could not knock the smile off his face with a shovel.

I have said this on other posts but I will say it again. This along with our sightseeing was the most amazing trip of my life, be it a vacation or hunting trip. We are going back to hunt with MKWE Safaris in 2024 and will be bringing our father.

I have said I am planning on going back to Africa every other year the rest of my life, but I am trying to figure out how to get there next year.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Aaron Fisk

Last edited:
Congrats for a great family hunt, and thanks for sharing !

@Aaron.F

I really enjoyed your ‘boots on the ground’ trip tips from your Bots Hunts & I can personally related to afew preparation comments and/or gear miscues from my earlier trips …

Your added comments & compliments about NKWE Safaris, staff, camp, food quality, trophy quality, etc. was very value-added … I’m SOLD!

Drop me a PM if you decide on @ 2023 return & wish to organize a group.

Thx for sharing!

Last edited:
I'm one of Aarons brothers that went with him.
To expand some things were were mentioned above.
A lightweight leather boot is all thats needed.
I took a lightweight puffy coat for morning drives, definitely reccomend.
Clothing that doesn't snag, everything wants a piece of you over there. Dress in layers.
They do laundry every day, We all took to much clothing.

You'll have a great time with NKWE SAFARIS

As I have stated previously this was my first safari, so there was a bit of a learning curve. Things are a few things I would have done differently or that I did right and want to pass along;

Clothing and such
- Where layers of clothing, temps when we were there went from mid 30's to maybe low 80's.
- Take some light weight gloves, I did not, whish I would have.
- Take a light weight stocking cap and a gaiter, I used merino wool for both, was perfect.
- My outer layer was a thin fleece, it was a mistake caught on everything.
- Thorns and brush everywhere, possibly long sleeve t shirt for bottom layer, to protect arms.
- Started out with boonie style hat, got caught on too much, ended up with baseball style hat.
- My wife had a bigger hat and had no issues, maybe I am clumsy.
- I used a 6 round cartridge carrier and had ammo in rifle, was perfect.
- I put way to much thought in boots, I took a pair of old mid-high Keens, perfect.
- I wore pants, no need for gaiters.

Hunting stuff
- Practice shooting off of sticks, which I did, just not enough. The shots will be very quick, you have about 3-5 seconds, this is what I was not entirely prepared for.
- You will not necessarily be given broad side shots at standing animals, at least if you are out stalking. Plan on shooting through a bit of grass and brush at not perfect angles.
-The hunt will be tailor made you you and your abilities, but it goes without saying, be in the best shape you can be.

Camp and Staff
- We arrived in camp and was told the camp was ours.
- My wife went with me out hunting everyday. She was treated amazingly by everyone, but was also treated like one of the guys as well. She loved it.
- Godfrey the camp cook is absolutely amazing, the food was awesome and he made my wife like royalty. It was really special experience for her..
- The bushman trackers., simply unbelievable Their ability to spot and track game is unreal and would not believe it if I hadn't seen it myself. I say this a trapper, I look at tracks all the time and couldn't touch their agility, it was almost supernatural.
- Jaco (head PH) and Ampie (Assistant PH) were the best, it felt like I was hunting with my buddies the whole time. My wife and I hunted with Ampie and my 2 brothers went with Jaco for the week. We all had an absolute blast, I am not just saying that, we would not change a thing.
- My brother's tagged out early and Jaco took them out for some absolutely awesome wing shooting. Jaco also let my brother shoot a zebra with his 500 double rifle, you could not knock the smile off his face with a shovel.

I have said this on other posts but I will say it again. This along with our sightseeing was the most amazing trip of my life, be it a vacation or hunting trip. We are going back to hunt with MKWE Safaris in 2024 and will be bringing our father.

I have said I am planning on going back to Africa every other year the rest of my life, but I am trying to figure out how to get there next year.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Aaron Fisk
Hi Aaron - Thank you for your exceptional answers - I really do appreciate your firsthand input. Did you bring your own firearm? My friends borrowed a .30-06 from Jaco, but the ammo is the Sellier & Bellot stuff, which I am not a fan of. I also know you cannot bring your own ammo without a firearm or send ammo ahead of time to the PH. I have a Wby Mark V .300 Wby, which is my primary elk rifle, but I will probably bring a Winch 70 stainless .30-06, 3-9 Leupold scope, and I'm working up some 180 gr Hornady Interlock loads (I usually just load 150 and 165 gr for deer and antelope). How stringent are the authorities on firearm paperwork (and lead time), and if we fly through J'burg to Maun do we have paperwork for both countries?

Thank you again for your help - and your patience with these newbie questions.

Flying with a rifle is somewhat of a pain in the ass, because nobody really knows what is going on. It feels like you are the first person to ever fly. We were told that my rifle would have to go through Johannesburg customs on the way there…nope, they did not, they went to Maun. The process in Maun is pretty straight forward, and Jaco had a guy meet us to help. Flying back was also confusing, but my rifle made it both ways. If you like smooth operating I would leave my rifle behind, but if a little confusion does not bother you, proceed accordingly.

My brothers used the camp 30-06, 7mm Mag and 243 and were happy with them. As stated it was a pain, but I will take mine again.

Also you probably know this but they do not charge you to use their rifles, only for the ammo you shoot, just as an FYI.

Last edited:
I heard it might be a pain to bring a firearm, but I would be more confident with my own rifle and ammo, so have to weigh the options. Thank you again!

Jacos' firearms shot great, the ammo that was provided did its job. I shot a gemsbok, zebra ,warthog, kudu and Impala. The most any of these ran were 40 yards. All but the warthog were all heart shots.
Hope this helps. Good luck to all that hunt with NKWE Safaris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
computerstore

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.