Bone knife handle option

Give your opinion on the desirability of camel bone as an alternative knife handle material

• yes, it would be a good choice

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • no, I would not consider it

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

nztimb

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia
With its cites designation there has been a stop on getting giraffe bone for knife handles and it has been suggested that camel bone may be an exceptable alternatve for those seeking a good bone handle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have an example of Camel bone being used on a knife? It would be nice to be able to compare the two in a picture side by side.

I have not used it but have seen in on some knife forums. It is not unlike giraffe bone in the visual appearance and performance but it is probably more the difference in perception of desirability of the camel bone compared to giraffe that I was trying to guage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled up some Google images of the two, they look very similar. However, I also think that Giraffe sounds more exotic than Camel, and therefore would be preferable to me.

Given the current CITES limitations, I would consider consider Camel as an alternative to Giraffe, but I'd be more likely to just go a different route altogether and get one with Cape Buffalo scales instead.

For me it’s about visual appeal and/or practical application… I don’t care much if something is exotic or rare on a knife I intend on using…

There is certainly a market for exotic, rare, etc.. no different than there’s a market for fine doubles..

But Im the guy that hunts with nicer rugers and winchesters.. as opposed to London best options..

I think people that want something nice, but prefer truly working grade tools (where camel bone would likely fit in) is probably the largest among hunters..

And depending on how large your US customer base is outside of American safari hunters… im guessing to the average American, a camel bone sounds just as “exotic” as a giraffe anyway (it’s certainly not common here.. if you see a “bone” handled knife here in the states the vast majority of the time it is going to be elk or deer antler or cow bone

Von Gruff, my suggestion would be for you to make up a knife using the camel bone and show it side by side to one that you made previously with giraffe bone. IMHO both knives should be in the same style. Having worked with the camel bone you could offer your opinion as to its suitability. I do agree with you that camel doesn't sound as exotic as giraffe but from the standpoint of looks and function that might be a moot point.

I pulled up some Google images of the two, they look very similar. However, I also think that Giraffe sounds more exotic than Camel, and therefore would be preferable to me.

Given the current CITES limitations, I would consider consider Camel as an alternative to Giraffe, but I'd be more likely to just go a different route altogether and get one with Cape Buffalo scales instead.
I completely agree. I ordered and have received a PH EDC with giraffe bone and Buffalo bolsters a couple weeks ago. Had the giraffe bone not been an option, I would have chosen Buffalo or a nice wood scale.

Heck Garry, anything you make I would be proud to carry!

Von Gruff, my suggestion would be for you to make up a knife using the camel bone and show it side by side to one that you made previously with giraffe bone. IMHO both knives should be in the same style. Having worked with the camel bone you could offer your opinion as to its suitability. I do agree with you that camel doesn't sound as exotic as giraffe but from the standpoint of looks and function that might be a moot point.
That option is no longer possible as I have used the last of the giraffe bone I had on knives that have all been shipped off. I do know that there is really only a perception of desirability among some. The practicality and use of either one will have identical longevity in any situation.

Sorry, there is some confusion, I wasn't clear enough. I was thinking that you could use one of your excellent photos of a knife with a Giraffe Bone handle and beside it post a photo of an identical knife with a Camel Bone handle.

With its cites designation there has been a stop on getting giraffe bone for knife handles and it has been suggested that camel bone may be an exceptable alternatve for those seeking a good bone handle.
@Von Gruff
Gary What about wart hog tusks or hippo teeth. I know these are available in Namibia from Okahenja for a reasonable price.
Bob

@Von Gruff
Gary What about wart hog tusks or hippo teeth. I know these are available in Namibia from Okahenja for a reasonable price.
Bob
Have to be quite a big bigger than this pair. Short one is cut off at the end of the hollow so only good for accents and I have not had the pleasure of using hippo teeth but open to doing so if they were on hand or easily obtainable without the drama I have with customs at the moment
IMG_20210613_105819.jpg

But bone looks so nice

Undecided.
I didn't consider a Bone handle.
I understand the durability of Bone but I haven't seen one in the flesh.
If people find Camel bone exotic then great.
If sourced my own bone from a hunt it my have more appeal to me.

Camel bone likely would be visually appealing…not as appealing as camel toe…but definitely more useful on a knife. :A Hey:
Randy there are some things I dont think I want to find a source for although if you look at the rear of a birdshead handle and use your imagination then you may just get there.

The first knife I bought with camel bone handles was a folding hunter with a circular shield with a bullet on it made in Pakistan. Surprisingly it was of pretty decent quality and was similar to a Case 65 pattern. As I recall it was pretty dark in color and the jigging was good.I traded it off to a friend who wanted it more than I did. Don't have any with giraffe bone handles;at least I don't think I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeauC1305

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross