Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

Hey Bob
I was read of your love for the amazing 243.
I didn’t realize you were such a 243 fan.
Ken
@K95
If Winchester hadn't flogged the crap out of it with all their advertising bullshit it would have not got of the ground for anything but rabbits and foxes..
I have loaded it for a few friends and used Nick's book and can't get anywhere near the advertised velocity. Under 3,000fps with max loads with 87 grainers and under 2,800fps with 100s and Max loads.
The 25s are a lot better.
Bob
20210115_123439.jpg

@K95
If Winchester hadn't flogged the crap out of it with all their advertising bullshit it would have not got of the ground for anything but rabbits and foxes..
I have loaded it for a few friends and used Nick's book and can't get anywhere near the advertised velocity. Under 3,000fps with max loads with 87 grainers and under 2,800fps with 100s and Max loads.
BobView attachment 414838
Ditto for the 250-3000 savage.

Hey Bob,
A guy I work with is having a .35 Whelen built on a P14 action. He said his gunsmith is putting on a Bartlein? barrel on it. He'll be the first person that I'll personally know who has a Whelen.
CEH

@K95
BobView attachment 414838
My wife uses one in her little Kimber. 100 gr Oryx at 3080 fps really drops fallow on the spot. That’s a mild load too.

My wife uses one in her little Kimber. 100 gr Oryx at 3080 fps really drops fallow on the spot. That’s a mild load too.
Is that a factory or hand load? Assuming hand, what is the type/measure of powder to achieve 3080 fps with 100 grain? Especially as a "mild load" ...

Hogdon reloading data indicates there are only a select few powders between them, IMR, and Winchester that will get to that speed at MAX load.

Hey Bob,
A guy I work with is having a .35 Whelen built on a P14 action. He said his gunsmith is putting on a Bartlein? barrel on it. He'll be the first person that I'll personally know who has a Whelen.
CEH
You live a sheltered life.

@K95
Ken every rifle is different. 2 I loaded for were tikka t3 lines with 22 inch barrels, the other a Winchester model 70.
In the tikkas we went up to 2 grains over nicks max and got hard bolt lift and very flat primers so we backed off to max. The Winchester had seen a lot of use and wouldn't take max loads, from memory it was 2 or 3 grains under. Go figure.
There are others on this forum that have experienced the same thing.
Give me a good 25 any day.
Bob

Hey Bob,
CEH
@CoElkHunter
If indeed it is a P14 make sure he puts an M17 magazine follower in it otherwise he will have feeding issues.
Get him to read the post on the Whelen in the AH forum so he can load it to its potential.
You may get a chance to fire a real rifle soon Grasshopper.
Bob

20210605_111930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the new guy already. Can we keep him?

Where do you find .257 Roberts on the shelf? Next to the .35 Whelen and across from the .338-06 brass?
Yep, at Wal Mart. I just got back from there. The ONLY ammo they had was two boxes of Winchester .243 with the super premium 100gr Power Points at $22.47/box. I thought about Bob...... for half a milisecond.

Where do you find .257 Roberts on the shelf? Next to the .35 Whelen and across from the .338-06 brass?
Sportsman’s warehouse has it here in NY along with 416 rem and 375 H&H all Norma ammo. No loads for any deer rounds.

Is that a factory or hand load? Assuming hand, what is the type/measure of powder to achieve 3080 fps with 100 grain? Especially as a "mild load" ...

Hogdon reloading data indicates there are only a select few powders between them, IMR, and Winchester that will get to that speed at MAX load.
I use 43 gr of Alliant Rel 22 with no pressure signs. Works really well. You are a bit like me 30 yrs ago. I had a number of 243’s and I could get them to kill. My 222 worked better. It was the bullet, everything was made then for hunting deer. Nothing was expanding and they would sail through a roo like a solid.
Later I found the Sierra 85 gr Bt Hp
that worked a treat. The secret with the 243 is the projectile. My wife has never had to shoot anything twice. Ken

Sportsman’s warehouse has it here in NY along with 416 rem and 375 H&H all Norma ammo. No loads for any deer rounds.
Well, Elmer Keith once stated the .375 H and H was a “good whitetail cartridge”, when once asked about it. He’s the expert, so? Buy two boxes! Ha! Ha! Ha!

@Forrest Halley
Yes mate he is a keeper, he's one up on you tho he has a Whelen. The 257 Roberts is always kept a long way from the common useless little 24.
Bob

Fallow deer are in the small category and 6mm will certainly drop them if hit in the right place. I don't know what your wife's experience is but I found my 80-100gr bullets tended to blow up and shred everything west of the impact point.

@K95
Ken every rifle is different. 2 I loaded for were tikka t3 lines with 22 inch barrels, the other a Winchester model 70.
In the tikkas we went up to 2 grains over nicks max and got hard bolt lift and very flat primers so we backed off to max. The Winchester had seen a lot of use and wouldn't take max loads, from memory it was 2 or 3 grains under. Go figure.
There are others on this forum that have experienced the same thing.
Give me a good 25 any day.
Bob
The 25 has it over the 6mm any day, I had a little Remington 700 mountain rifle in a Roberts which was very light in weight and extremely accurate with 87 gr TNT projectiles. Bad thing about it was the short action it was built on. If your going to have a 25 Roberts please have it on a long action so you can seat the pills out where they belong, and while your at it have the throat lengthened. After going to all that trouble you may as well have a 25-06.
i spend a lot of time in the reloading room and haven’t met a caliber yet that I didn’t like , after all, a dead deer is a dead no matter what it was shot with. I’ve come to think it’s the bullet that works not what case it comes from.
Ken

The 25 has it over the 6mm any day, I had a little Remington 700 mountain rifle in a Roberts which was very light in weight and extremely accurate with 87 gr TNT projectiles. Bad thing about it was the short action it was built on. If your going to have a 25 Roberts please have it on a long action so you can seat the pills out where they belong, and while your at it have the throat lengthened. After going to all that trouble you may as well have a 25-06.
i spend a lot of time in the reloading room and haven’t met a caliber yet that I didn’t like , after all, a dead deer is a dead no matter what it was shot with. I’ve come to think it’s the bullet that works not what case it comes from.
Ken
Here’s a nice Fallow I took with the 25 Weatherby recently.

E56D62DA-ACEB-486A-8C92-7BC8770EDBAA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fallow deer are in the small category and 6mm will certainly drop them if hit in the right place. I don't know what your wife's experience is but I found my 80-100gr bullets tended to blow up and shred everything west of the impact point.
It’s like I said, it’s all about the bullet used , try the 100 gr Oryx.
Ken

@Forrest Halley
Yes mate he is a keeper, he's one up on you tho he has a Whelen. The 257 Roberts is always kept a long way from the common useless little 24.
Bob
I may have related this experience before so bear with me if I repeat myself. Because of my proclivity for Mannlicher stocked rifles I had purchased a Ruger 77 RSI in 243. First 2 deer I shot with it using factory 100 grain remington core locks chest shots no exit wounds both deer died within sight but no blood trails for either deer. Found only the copper jackets inside on the opposite shoulders. Traded that RSI for a bucket list RSI in 250-3000 problem solved. Not that 243 won’t kill deer just not the performance I want. My 35 addiction solved that problem also. Still use the 250 in its rotation turn plus it is an ideal tree stand gun. Can honestly say I don’t own a 243 and don’t miss it. If the 250 hadn’t come along I was going to send the barrel to JES to make it a 358 winchester. Hmmmmm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross