Bob Nelson convinced me - 35 Whelen

@hawkeyesatx
Hawk, I know @Sgt Zim is down your way somewhere and he love CFE223. You never know he may have some spare.
Bob

Yeah, SgtZim is about 3 hrs away.
I hope he might be willing to part with some CFE223, at some point.

Hawk

@hawkeyesatx
Hawk
Its a pity more people don't realise that. My philosophy of the Whelen if I do my job is:- put crosshairs on game, pull trigger and go pick up game. Problems solved.
Plus your hat stays on and your fillings are left intact
The standard loads for the Whelen worked well for years, these loads just make a great round better.
Bob
View attachment 407303

I have noticed, after being on this planet for 50 + years, that the .358 caliber is devastating on game the size of deer up to polar bear!
You put a .35 cal bullet in a .30-06 case, amazing things are going to happen when you pull that trigger.
I’ve been interested in the .35 Whelen for close to 30 years. Now, I didn’t know it was economical to rebarrel or rebore a rifle and VOILA! You have a 35 Whelen!
I’ve been under the wrong impression that I had to buy a new rifle, or a hardly used rifle to get my 35 Whelen.
Hopefully, things will be good next month, and I can get my Remington 78 rebarreled, or rebored.

Hawk

Yeah, SgtZim is about 3 hrs away.
I hope he might be willing to part with some CFE223, at some point.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk you never know until y ou ring him. I'm still waiting for you to call me.
It makes his 308 get up and sing.
Bob

I have noticed, after being on this planet for 50 + years, that the .358 caliber is devastating on game the size of deer up to polar bear!
You put a .35 cal bullet in a .30-06 case, amazing things are going to happen when you pull that trigger.
I’ve been interested in the .35 Whelen for close to 30 years. Now, I didn’t know it was economical to rebarrel or rebore a rifle and VOILA! You have a 35 Whelen!
I’ve been under the wrong impression that I had to buy a new rifle, or a hardly used rifle to get my 35 Whelen.
Hopefully, things will be good next month, and I can get my Remington 78 rebarreled, or rebored.

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk amazing things happen when you neck the 308 case up to 358 as well, you end up with a baby Whelen. Things turn to shit tho when you neck the 308 down to 6mm.
On the other hand amazing things happen when you neck an 06 case down to 25 caliber. You can then send a 100grain Barnes TTSX down range at 3,400 fps leaving that pissant 6mm/08 in its wake.
Bob

Over the last 5 years or so I have bought several Sportsman 78 rifles to be used for donor actions. One has already been converted to a 280 Ackley Improved. The above rifle will be rebarrelled and restocked as a 35 Whelen. As you can see, I found a jug of Bob's favorite, CFE223. I have the brass and will buy more this morning. I found the appropriate bullets in an estate and the used dies at a gun store. The wood will be sent to Richards microfit and carved into the 102 classic style.View attachment 396422

I thought Bob would like to know I'm moving forward.View attachment 396423
Sounds like a plan. Good choice.

Oh yeah, neck a .308 up to a 35 and Voila, you have a baby Bob. Don't feed em after midnight or they might multiply.

Hawkeye, if you have to drive 3 hours to beg for some powder it seems like a sad state of affairs. Grab some while you can. This is the magic fairy dust that goes Poof and amazing things happen.

I could be almost inclined to think I'm missing something since I don't have a 35

in one of my weaker moments i sold one of my 35 whelens, a reminton 7600 pump to a friend. my other two( ruger #1-custom van patton 98 mauser) cried for weeks. so i did the only thing a fire arms owner could do, i went on the hunt for a replacement and found a like new remington CDL 700 and at a very good price. no crying in my gun room now, but alot of happy hunting stories being told.

Oh yeah, neck a .308 up to a 35 and Voila, you have a baby Bob. Don't feed em after midnight or they might multiply.

Hawkeye, if you have to drive 3 hours to beg for some powder it seems like a sad state of affairs. Grab some while you can. This is the magic fairy dust that goes Poof and amazing things happen.

I could be almost inclined to think I'm missing something since I don't have a 35
If you have a 9.3 your in the right neighborhood.

Hawkeyesatx, It sounds like you "got the picture." Bob and I have been touting the capabilities of the 35 Whelen for several years on AH. A few have become enlightened, while I dare say most have not. A word of caution though, Hornady's factory offering using Superformance powder and a 200 Gr bullet at 2900 FPS is a certified "attention getter!!" After looking at the ballistics I've settled on 225 Gr projectiles.

Hawkeyesatx, It sounds like you "got the picture." Bob and I have been touting the capabilities of the 35 Whelen for several years on AH. A few have become enlightened, while I dare say most have not. A word of caution though, Hornady's factory offering using Superformance powder and a 200 Gr bullet at 2900 FPS is a certified "attention getter!!" After looking at the ballistics I've settled on 225 Gr projectiles.

Yes, when I was in my late 20’s, I was interested in the 35 Whelen.
Now, as I’m much older, I see things for what they are, and the 35 Whelen is legit.
2900 fps is a definite attention getter, no doubt. More frontal area, and 200 grs of fast moving bullet is hard to stop.

Hawk

@CBH
It is magic fairy dust mate it works in a lot of rounds from the 222 up to 458 even in the dare I say the 243. @Sgt Zim gets great results in his 308 with both higher velocity and better accuracy.
You might be onto something Chris if it was labeled magic fairy dust instead of cfe223 they may have sold more in Australia.
Bob

The powders I have on hand:
H4350
H335
IMR 4064
IMR 7828
RL-22
RL-26
IMR 4198
and several pistol powders

I think one of those above would work at first.
Then I will get CFE223.

Does Varget work well?

Hawk

H4350
H335
IMR 4064
IMR 7828
RL-22
RL-26
IMR 4198

Then I will get CFE223.

Does Varget work well?

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Hawk out of all the powders you have you only have one that's any good for the Whelen. 4064 is what @Shootist43 uses so flick him a pm for his load. If you want more loads just tell me what projectiles you are using and I will work it out for you.
Varget is great for the 225 grain accubonds and 60.5 grains will give you around 2,800 fps
A lo t of people use RL15 as well but the ducks guts is really CFE223.
All the other powders you listed are way to slow unless you use the 310 grain Woodleigh then H4350 comes to the for with 60 grains
Bob

A very wise man once said.....the 35 Whelen is merely a lengthened and slightly necked up 243 Win. ;)
@TOBY458
Mate I don't think he was that wise. I think they were having delusional thoughts of grandeur and at spending time on the wacky backy and sippin whiskey.
Bob

@TOBY458
Mate I don't think he was that wise. I think they were having delusional thoughts of grandeur and at spending time on the wacky backy and sippin whiskey.
Bob

I was going to say maybe they were extremely drunk!!
But you said it before I could!

Hawk

H4350
H335
IMR 4064
IMR 7828
RL-22
RL-26
IMR 4198

Then I will get CFE223.

Does Varget work well?

Hawk
G'day Bloke,
AR2206H (H4895, IMR4895) BM8208 (IMR8208XBR) are the best choices for the Whelen after CFE223.
Varget (AR2208) works well but not as good as the others. H4350 is a bit slow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois