Blesbok or Impala

I really enjoy hunting impala. On my last hunt I spent 2 and a half days hunting in my mind a perfect impala. I wanted one at 25+” with good forward sweep of his horns and tips that flaired out. We saw many that had 1or 2 of my criteria and finally with about 20 minutes of light left on the last day we found him and I promptly missed him at 250 yards. But I had the time of my life hunting him. They killed him about a month later and he was 27” and some change.

If I absolutely had to choose between the two, I'd definitely go for the impala just because in my mind its a well known animal around the world but you don't have to choose. I got both on my first trip, they're always reasonably priced.

Not sure how sable is a backup and you are bickering between blesbuck and impala....
One simple reason. $. I am retired Military. After my Military service I went into Law Enforcement. I don't think I'm quite as "well off" as some folks around here.

Cut your expenses here and there and take the Sable. The first time I went to SA, Sables were in 9-10K, way out of my league. They are more affordable now.

TT, you look great with those fine animals, and taken with a lever gun. You are my hero. :ROFLMAO:

I call BS. I NEED that sexy rifle in my photos to offset the fact I'M in the photos. As far as being a hero by having a lever gun: just doing what I can with what I have. :E Happy:

To me it comes down to what’s more more fun to hunt - I prefer a bit of a challenge. Impala were a little more of a fun hunt than blesbuck for me. Kudu and warthogs are super fun to hunt and usually quite challenging. I also had some great stalking hunts on wildebeest it’s always fun to try and get within 50 yards of a herd.
For your second safari I’d recommend a buff - that’s a tie for me for most fun. Kudu and Cape buffalo, those are tops for me.

One simple reason. $. I am retired Military. After my Military service I went into Law Enforcement. I don't think I'm quite as "well off" as some folks around here.
Don’t sell yourself short. I’m a poor farmer and have been 4 times in the last 9 years while putting 2 girls through college.Just budget and you obviously have discipline with your chosen careers. Thanks for your service.

Don’t sell yourself short. I’m a poor farmer and have been 4 times in the last 9 years while putting 2 girls through college.Just budget and you obviously have discipline with your chosen careers. Thanks for your service.
Couldn't agree more.

The hidden secret is the cost of shipping and taxidermist. In my case I took the Impala despite I saw a good blessbok.
Both not expensive but the other cost will be a punch in the balls
Very good point, it will cost more to ship than it will to shoot it.

The hidden secret is the cost of shipping and taxidermist. In my case I took the Impala despite I saw a good blessbok.
Both not expensive but the other cost will be a punch in the balls
That’s really not true. The cost to ship and clear is essentially a fixed cost especially with what he is already planning on his hunt. Adding a blesbok into the shipment is very minimal additional cost (maybe $50 or less?). The dip and pack is an extra maybe $120 for the cape and skull. Going to Africa and hunting only one impala or one blesbok and shipping isn’t cost effective on the travel, hunt, shipping, anything, but adding it to the overall hunt is very cost effective.

Anyone can check any taxidermist website and see the cost of a simple shoulder mount. It may range between 800 to 1200 dollars. The shipping costs will be around 1500, the broker and shipping to the taxidermist will be another 1200 to 1500 dollars.
That will add to about 400 per animal assuming 4 animals.
Bleastbuck 500$ plus 850$ plus 400$
Pulling that trigger and shooting an African animal became similar to having interfere with a woman .
In the case of interfere with a woman it may result in a child after 9 months
In the case of Pulling that trigger it may result in 2000 dollars cost but not necessarily after 9 months.
The other option is adding a cull hunt.
Kind regards

Absolute newbie here. Hunting Africa for the first time in June of 2024. I have been very busy reading all the planning guides and resources on this wonderful site. Question 1. My hunt, among other animals, includes a hunters choice of Blesbok OR Impala. I like the horns better on the Impala, but the facial markings better on the Blesbok. In general terms, is one considered "more desirable" than the other? I am currently thinking I will take whichever one I see the better specimen of. But all things being equal, which should I take?
Being a newbie as you say, it is a fair question. All the replies saying, "take both", seem to me to dodge the question. You say "But all things being equal, which should I take?" . . . the answer of course is entirely subjective. For me, the answer is impala without hesitation. But that's just MY preference, there is of course no right or wrong answer. You might do a little research, study up a bit on both using various resources, and that should get you leaning one way or the other.
Then make your final decision based on what you actually see during your hunt.

For me personally I would go with a impala every time. On my first safari I shot a blesbok and just had a euro done with him. Looking at them just doesn't do anything for me.

This past safari I had a blesbok and a cull blesbok on my list of available animals. I could of cared less if I didn't even waste a bullet on one. I shot my first one and then a day later my PH had me put one down, it had been injured in a fight and was close to dead anyway. Then on my last day my PH had to twist my arm to get me to shoot my cull blesbok, I didn't even take any pictures of them.

Like I said, they just don't do anything for me. Now a impala, I love looking at them and watching them.

Between the two, I'd go for the impala but only if it's a really good trophy.

Cut your expenses here and there and take the Sable. The first time I went to SA, Sables were in 9-10K, way out of my league. They are more affordable now.

TT, you look great with those fine animals, and taken with a lever gun. You are my hero.
Going sideways (as these always do) if I had the money for a sable I'd use it to take another kudu, a blesbok and an impala. Sable just do not do it for me.

Now if we go back to the first question of one or the other, I am the odd man out here it appears and rank blesbok slightly higher. I always prefered them, if just a hair more. I have taken two blesbok and one impala, all on my last (fourth) hunt.

Last edited:
Now if we go back to the first question of one or the other, I am the odd man out here it appears and rank blesbok slightly higher. I always prefered them, if just a hair more. I have taken two blesbok and one impala, all on my last (fourth) hunt.
I’m with you. I love my Blesbok skull and horns more than my Impala. However my Impala must have been the oldest one in Namibia as the horns were extremely worn down. If I had to choose again I think I’d want a nicer looking Impala. But there’s something about the shape of Blesbok horns that I love.

Of the two, impala on my first trip to SA was my first animal stalked, took a bit of time in the brush to get a clear shot, and had a porcupine run past my PH and I.
Blesbuck was hunted in wide grassy plains, an enjoyable stalk but not as difficult. My pick of the two would be the impala. I'd hunt warthog over both, if it was in the mix (also reasonable trophy fee).

I've taken multiples of both. I've never found impala very difficult to hunt, the exception may be if you are looking for a 25+ ram. I've always found the blesbuck to be a trickier animal to harvest.

That being said, I concur with the consensus that taking both is the best option. Blesbuck make a really nice skull mount, which doesn't add much to the taxidermy bill.

If you are after memorable hunts at little added cost you should really consider warthog and baboon, both of which also happen to be iconic african animals.

My experience was the exact opposite.

My blesbok was standing in a field with 2 buddies. I shot him at about 80 yards. He dropped dead right there. His buddies took a look at the dead body, then went back to grazing.

I thought you could probably walk up to them and kill them with a knife after that episode.

It was a handsome animal, but they seemed a dumb as a box of rocks to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross