Blaser S2

The "safety" (or cocking slide) itself is another. It is like the R8, and that too, seems to cause the traditional crowd to throw up in the back of their throats. Of course it makes for a wonderfully safe rifle to carry on a long trek without a sling.

Another criticism with the auto de-cock is that it is noisy. However, one has only to depress the cocker slightly to de-cock and the barrels will drop in total silence. That is different than a Birmingham boxlock, so the traditional crowd hates it. But I like it because it gives a truly silent reload capability.

With respect to the technical differences, the tilting block is unlike any other double. That seems to make people crazy as well. The fact that unlike a A&D boxlock it is impossible to shoot off face seems to get lost in the "I hate it because it is different" mantra.

I am not sure the styling is European rather than simply unique. The engineers started with a blank sheet of paper (or programing platform) and tried to develop the most ergonomic rifle possible. I have yet to find anyone, hater or not, who won't admit, however grudgingly, that the rifle seems to fit perfectly.

The open sights are well thought out, extremely visible, and relatively high to facilitate both scope and irons use. Remember, the S2, unlike an English double or Continental copy, was designed from the ground up to use and take advantage of a scope.

Finally, the S2 is accurate enough to use to the full range capability of any cartridge. As I have noted before, I have taken PG out to nearly 250 meters with mine. On this site, I have had someone sputter "that is not the proper way to use a double." :A Bang Head: All I can say is that the S2 can do a lot of improper things extremely well.

This is one of the more comprehensive reviews.

I should add, that I am certain that the rifle's sheer modern usefulness contributed to its demise. Most people buying a double are looking to recreate the romance of the early twentieth century. The S2 is a thoroughly modern take on the double rifle. Stewart Granger never had a chance to handle one in the field. Though I suspect that had he the opportunity, he would have never looked back. :E Angel:

Last edited:
Those are technical differences though, rather than manual of arms.

I didn't serve in the military so the term "manual of arms" is probably poorly translated to the rules of operation during war, or in this case during hunting. (e.g. muzzleloading formation, loading, and discharge protocols)

Of the items I listed above, the only operational consideration other than the aforementioned "blocking safety" or "decocking safety" that I mentioned is the regulation wedge which is adjustable by the user or a gunsmith rather than by a very rare, expert barrel mechanic.

@Red Leg has forgotten more about these rifles than I will ever know. Let's see if he tops-off on the conversation.

I have a really nice one in 470NE that I'm going to sell if any one is interested!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross