Blaser S2

The "safety" (or cocking slide) itself is another. It is like the R8, and that too, seems to cause the traditional crowd to throw up in the back of their throats. Of course it makes for a wonderfully safe rifle to carry on a long trek without a sling.

Another criticism with the auto de-cock is that it is noisy. However, one has only to depress the cocker slightly to de-cock and the barrels will drop in total silence. That is different than a Birmingham boxlock, so the traditional crowd hates it. But I like it because it gives a truly silent reload capability.

With respect to the technical differences, the tilting block is unlike any other double. That seems to make people crazy as well. The fact that unlike a A&D boxlock it is impossible to shoot off face seems to get lost in the "I hate it because it is different" mantra.

I am not sure the styling is European rather than simply unique. The engineers started with a blank sheet of paper (or programing platform) and tried to develop the most ergonomic rifle possible. I have yet to find anyone, hater or not, who won't admit, however grudgingly, that the rifle seems to fit perfectly.

The open sights are well thought out, extremely visible, and relatively high to facilitate both scope and irons use. Remember, the S2, unlike an English double or Continental copy, was designed from the ground up to use and take advantage of a scope.

Finally, the S2 is accurate enough to use to the full range capability of any cartridge. As I have noted before, I have taken PG out to nearly 250 meters with mine. On this site, I have had someone sputter "that is not the proper way to use a double." :A Bang Head: All I can say is that the S2 can do a lot of improper things extremely well.

This is one of the more comprehensive reviews.


I should add, that I am certain that the rifle's sheer modern usefulness contributed to its demise. Most people buying a double are looking to recreate the romance of the early twentieth century. The S2 is a thoroughly modern take on the double rifle. Stewart Granger never had a chance to handle one in the field. Though I suspect that had he the opportunity, he would have never looked back. :E Angel:
 
Last edited:
Those are technical differences though, rather than manual of arms.

I didn't serve in the military so the term "manual of arms" is probably poorly translated to the rules of operation during war, or in this case during hunting. (e.g. muzzleloading formation, loading, and discharge protocols)

Of the items I listed above, the only operational consideration other than the aforementioned "blocking safety" or "decocking safety" that I mentioned is the regulation wedge which is adjustable by the user or a gunsmith rather than by a very rare, expert barrel mechanic.

@Red Leg has forgotten more about these rifles than I will ever know. Let's see if he tops-off on the conversation.
 
I have a really nice one in 470NE that I'm going to sell if any one is interested!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,270
Messages
1,571,231
Members
169,291
Latest member
micimistcu1975
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top