Blaser R8 rebore?

I'll be the contrarian. :cool:

So, one of the advantages of the R8 design with the trigger below the magazine is the short overall length of the resulting rifle with optimal barrel length - i.e. like a Ruger No.1. In other words, you can have a .300 Win Mag/ WBY and .375 H&H with a rifle about the same length as a traditional rifle built around the short calibers - maybe even shorter. And everything I have in standard R8 cals is sub-MOA. So what would be the point? :unsure:
Only good answer I have is...to be different. Its more work, time, and money, but its fun, rewarding, and different. Who wouldn't want to see a 20" R8 in 375? o_O

I know some might think this sacrilegious, but I tend to do the odd projects. Some background...

I recently got bit by the bug to do a short action switch barrel system. I have always been fond of the wildcat WSMs. I was looking at doing a 375WSM with a 6.5WSM switch barrel. I communicated with VA Silent Arsenal as they have done quite a bit of work with the WSMs. However, their build prices just don't make it worthwhile. $4,800 for a build on a dedicated short action in one caliber....not outrageous, but still limiting. I also anticipated/assumed (wrongly) a reputable builder would get the components for somewhat a discount, however everything was quoted at retail price plus shipping fitting, and then an additional $800 labor. I get some of these parts at an industry price...so I thought a rifle builder would at least get preferential pricing. Almost feels like paying $1600+ in labor to fit and assemble. Ive done a few bolt builds, and I typically supply the majority of the parts and certainly the action, but here not the case and are limited.

So this brings me to the R8 which Ive gone back and forth on for years. It popped in my mind after reviewing this qoute that Im better off with an R8 and getting it in 300WSM and reboreing and rechambering to 375WSM, and then having a takedown/switch barrel for almost any SA or LA offering. Yes I know it wont help any potential resale, and I know wildcat loads are just that and not available beyond a reloading bench, proper brass marked, etc. However, I just want to tinker. I going to give JES a shout but was wondering if anyone here has looked into it before or not? I know the custom blaser sip and sons barrel venture has been rough and bit the dust, but how about a rebore on an R8 barrel? Looks like the 19mm barrel has enough meat on it for the rebore to 375.
yes, with two mentions there from you and @ay2626 , I may look at that route and build the components or grab a lightly used model and sell off the barrel to fund the Pale Horse.
I heard that they are pretty slow and only doing so many barrels. I still think it is the best option for you.

On a bolt action you can always thread the barrel into the action deeper and ream it to the correct headspace. With the R8 is there any way to set the barrel back if necessary.

Just contacted Pale Horse Zero about a custom .25/06 barrel. I am sure they could also make one for you. My only problem is they want full payment up front and they will get your barrel out when they can.... And that will be at least a year. If you cancel they keep $500. If you trust them I'm sure it's all good.

Since the action length is the same, no matter what cartridge you're using, what would be the benefit in a WSM? Just for the heck of it I'm guessing?
Just to tinker a bit. Similar to the b&m concept, have a short barrel (20") and get nice velocities with a 300 gr. 375. I have a problem or needing to be different....

Just contacted Pale Horse Zero about a custom .25/06 barrel. I am sure they could also make one for you. My only problem is they want full payment up front and they will get your barrel out when they can.... And that will be at least a year. If you cancel they keep $500. If you trust them I'm sure it's all good.
February 2nd was a year for me on a 280 AI R8 barrel. Krieger was the problem as they were way behind schedule providing the blank. Good communication from PHZ though; barrel should be here in 2 weeks.

Yep.

JES does quality work with a very reasonable cost and turn around. I’m about to ship him a barrel. I’d get him on the phone (which may take a few attempts) and tell him your plans. I bet he can do it with little fuss.

@TTundra - I'm not very knowledgable on the 375WSM cartridge so I'm asking for a little information to help me understand.

How does it compare (ballistically) to the 375H&&H?

Isn't the 375RUGER in the same vein as a WSM cartridge or are you looking to go even shorter and fatter?

How will this shorter & fatter cartridge affect feeding and magazine capacity?

Other than being different (which I completely understand) what advantages do you see with this particular cartridge?

Last edited:
@TTundra - I'm not very knowledgable on the 375WSM cartridge so I'm asking for a little information to help me understand.

How does it compare (ballistically) to the 375H&&H?

Isn't the 375RUGER in the same vein as a WSM cartridge or are you looking to go even shorter and fatter?

How will this shorter & fatter cartridge affect feeding and magazine capacity?

Other than being different (which I completely understand) what advantages do you see with this particular cartridge?
It essentially just comes in under it. 260 gr at 2620-2600ps, 280 gr at 2550ish, and 300 at 2450-2500. This depends on the depth and action that can hold it though.

Why I like it as I'm having a BLR takedown chambered in it and wanted to use a short action version. At the same time wanting to use a medium action bolt gun to maximize its potential without going to a long action.

Enter the R8, would simply be a different barrel but would let you run the longer length (3.1ish). As I've wanted an R8 for a bit now anyway for other calibers, it would just be another barrel and the work.

As for feeding, not much is needed as any rifle that can fire the 300wsm and 325wsm is a fairly easy change.

375 Ruger would certainly be easier, but not as easy to do in a BLR. I went down that path before, much more money into that build. The 375wsm requires less work on the BLR project. I just love to have projects though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you