Blaser R8 Owner in USA

ajamils

AH member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions from people who have owned and shot one. I currently own multiple rifles (Benelli, Bergara, CZ) and was looking to get the latest Beretta BRX1 but during my research I got more intrigued by Blaser R8 as Beretta seems to be trying to copy that rifle. Granted there is not much need of a straight pull in for the type of hunting we do in USA or a reason to own such as expensive gun but I'm just dreaming about it.

Unlike in Europe, we in US of A have no restriction in owning multiple rifles so I keep going back and forth whether it is worth to own a "system" or just buy multiple rifles in any caliber I need. So would like to know owners opinion (specially in USA) if they think it is worth it or not.

The one I have priced out is the Luxus model (I'm a sucker for good quality wood stock) with 30.06 and 6.5 CM barrels and the cost is over 10K..... which is more than all my current guns combined :oops:

I like my R8s. I don't have multiple barrels, just ended up building them all out. Like the potato chip commercial long ago. Can't have only one.

As far as NA hunting, a fast followup is not a bad thing. YMMV

I own two with 4 barrels at the moment. Have owned 4 other complete rifles in the past. While I do like the take down capability, I mostly like them because they are just damn good rifles. They shoot, function and just plain work every time. Excellent trigger, and they fit me perfectly. They are a bit expensive, but you get what you pay for. The scope mount system is also excellent.

The Luxus is definitely on the high end of pricing, but if you’re patient, you can find some good deals on stocks, barrels, etc. There’s a Jaeger stock on Gunsinternational now that is like new. It even has the grey receiver similar to the luxus. You can buy the stock and then add barrels of your choosing.

This is in my view one of the most comprehensive discussions of pros and cons, did it for me anyway: https://www.africahunting.com/threa...aser-r8-a-two-months-500-rounds-review.60483/
I did read the whole thread and various others before signing up and starting my own thread.

I know your thread is few years old so are you still enjoying the rifle just as much? Also, I see you are in Europe so things might be a little different than here in Texas, where you can buy as many guns as your heart desires :) Also, from reading the previous threads, it seems like Blaser prices have gone up quite a bit.

For me the debate keeps coming down to this equation.....
Beretta BRX1 in 6.5 CM (though I don't like the stock options as they look cheap) + upcoming Sauer 505 in beautify wood < Blazer R8 Luxus 30.06 + 6.5 CM package.

I have an R93 in 7mm Mag, an R8 in .375, and an R8S in .308 fully built out. I’ve got a few spare R8 barrels also. The .308 is probably the most accurate center fire rifle I own.
I’m very happy with the system and if you look around you can get a better deal on them, but they’re not cheap by any standard. I have an S2 in 470 and an F16 Sporting 12Ga also and I just like Blaser quality.

I have a Sauer 404 in 6.5CM, which is an excellent rifle. Unfortunately Sauer didn’t support it in the US very well and parts are very hard to come by. The 505 uses the same barrels and furniture so I hope that improves. The nice thing about the 404/505 is they’re turn-bolt Blasers more or less, the barrels are identical in composition and quality. The 505 also uses Blaser mounts, not the Sauer SUM pattern like the 404. That alone is a big selling point; nobody else made SUM mounts other than Sauer but Blaser mounts are much more plentiful.

I have an R93 in 7mm Mag, an R8 in .375, and an R8S in .308 fully built out. I’ve got a few spare R8 barrels also. The .308 is probably the most accurate center fire rifle I own.
I’m very happy with the system and if you look around you can get a better deal on them, but they’re not cheap by any standard. I have an S2 in 470 and an F16 Sporting 12Ga also and I just like Blaser quality.

I have a Sauer 404 in 6.5CM, which is an excellent rifle. Unfortunately Sauer didn’t support it in the US very well and parts are very hard to come by. The 505 uses the same barrels and furniture so I hope that improves. The nice thing about the 404/505 is they’re turn-bolt Blasers more or less, the barrels are identical in composition and quality. The 505 also uses Blaser mounts, not the Sauer SUM pattern like the 404. That alone is a big selling point; nobody else made SUM mounts other than Sauer but Blaser mounts are much more plentiful.
Part of the appeal for 505 is that bolt and the new QD-mount but like you said, I don't see it very well supported here in USA. I am surprised how many sites sell Blaser parts and accessories and there are barely any for Sauer. In terms of support, another big plus for Blaser is that their head quarter in San Antonio is only 3 hours from my home.

Yeah, they’ve got a good team in San Antonio. I bought my 404, F16, and R8 directly from them at the showroom. I should have grabbed more 404 barrels when they came in.

I’m not sure why the 505 went back to a one-piece bolt, the interchangeable bolt heads on the 404 were very neat and plenty strong.

I bought one last year...sold the 338 barrel...bought the rimfire conversion kit, 375 H&H barrel, and 300 win mag barrel. Just added a 257 Wby barrel. I'm feeling pretty good about the decision although I shoot lots of other guns also. I just need to get a good travel case setup for the R8 with 2 barrels and a double rifle. That would cover everything in Africa in one portable package.

I bought one last year...sold the 338 barrel...bought the rimfire conversion kit, 375 H&H barrel, and 300 win mag barrel. Just added a 257 Wby barrel. I'm feeling pretty good about the decision although I shoot lots of other guns also. I just need to get a good travel case setup for the R8 with 2 barrels and a double rifle. That would cover everything in Africa in one portable package.
How do you like the rimfire conversion kit? I go back and forth on it vs 223.

Good question and I thought long about both approaches. I really like the rimfire kit. After reading the big topic about converting to R8 multiple times, for my gun ranges (short and city), it made the most sense to practice rimfire vs 223. Plus I love having more rimfire options.

I really like the idea of the rim-fire conversion on R8 but in practicality I can buy a pretty decent .22 rifle for the cost of the kit :) Though I do like the idea of .233 as I currently only have that caliber in AR15 format and it is soft shooting round so even my 12 year old can shoot it.

Looking for opinions from people who have owned and shot one. I currently own multiple rifles (Benelli, Bergara, CZ) and was looking to get the latest Beretta BRX1 but during my research I got more intrigued by Blaser R8 as Beretta seems to be trying to copy that rifle. Granted there is not much need of a straight pull in for the type of hunting we do in USA or a reason to own such as expensive gun but I'm just dreaming about it.

Unlike in Europe, we in US of A have no restriction in owning multiple rifles so I keep going back and forth whether it is worth to own a "system" or just buy multiple rifles in any caliber I need. So would like to know owners opinion (specially in USA) if they think it is worth it or not.

The one I have priced out is the Luxus model (I'm a sucker for good quality wood stock) with 30.06 and 6.5 CM barrels and the cost is over 10K..... which is more than all my current guns combined :oops:
Double post.

Original conversation on the thread here:

We own 3 complete R8 rifles plus one more barrel.

Positive points...
Best factory trigger I've ever had at 2#. Magazine on top of trigger group shortening the rifle by 4". Quick takedown for easy travel. One stock fit for any caliber from 17HMR to 500J. QD scope mount. Mix and match as you please to find the right balance for you. Multiple barrel contours for the same caliber, further customizing your fit. Kickstop easily added to help with felt recoil. Timber, synthetic, thumbhole, adjustable...etc stocks available. Dealer support. Easy resale of most components you don't need along with good deals being found on the used market. Incredible accuracy with factory ammo. Incredibly reliable, I've shot thousands of rounds with no failures. Decocking safety mechanism that is arguably the safest in the industry. Scope mounted on the barrel for more consistent accuracy and return to zero. Do I need to mention how fast they reload?

Negative points...
Not cheap, but you will get what you pay for.

We sold all our other rifles and now only own the Blaser R8's. If you want to chat, send me a PM with your number. The R8 is pretty easy, but there are a few tricks to it.

Last edited:
That’s what I got a 223 for. Plan to practice off sticks with the 223 a lot and the 375 enough. My boys are L eye dominant so there is probably a L handed bolt and bolt face in my future…
So any non-thumbhole synthetic stock will work as a LH and/or RH rifle, and of course will need the correct bolt and bolt head. Don't forget the bolt head, because a LH bolt with a RH bolt head will eject brass right across their face.

The timber and thumbhole stocks are made to fit left or right handed shooting, not both.

Geez, if I sold a bunch of rifles and got really practical with my R8, etc what could I do...lots more DG and bongo, LDE, etc. I sometimes get tempted to do that! I saw a cancellation combo hunt on an argali/ibex hunt recently that was painful to not jump on. There are some great deals sometimes.

Last edited:
I think BeeMaa hit all the positives and negatives very well in his post above. I own 2 Blaser R8 rifles, a bunch of barrels, a mount for each barrel and just purchased another R8 with 3 barrels for my son's 21st birthday.

Many years ago I was a little anti Blaser and never thought I would buy a straight pull Blaser with interchangeable barrels. The only models I knew about were very nicely stocked (wood) and very expensive. I always thought I can buy 3 or 4 rifles for that price. My main use was deer culling in pretty rough terrain that was not very rifle friendly. Several decades later, my shooting needs are expanding, including driven European wild boar and a lot of future gun travel.

Fortunately the pocket book changed over time, so I invested in my first Blaser R8 (non wood), I have been very impressed, I like the fit, I like the shortness and balance, I like the takedown and back to zero capability. Now I keep one in different countries and can meet my changing needs by often just traveling with a barrel and bolt head.

Yes they are expensive but they are also very easy to sell and recover a large part of your investment. My view today is that they are a great rifle that adds a lot of flexibility and cannot be beaten in terms of it's travelability.

I will warn you once you get one it's like having a disease and things will only get worse as far as cash flow, but still, there has to be some pleasure in life! I can't bring myself to start clearing out my old faithful other rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentAdame

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!