Bird sound

Grz63

AH senior member
Joined
Sep 28, 2019
Messages
82
Reaction score
89
Location
Clermont-ferand , France
Media
1
Hunted
France, Canada, Namibia
Good morning Everyone
It was my first hunting trip in Namibia in May 22. I would have two questions if you could help me. I am starting my hunt report.
  1. What is the name of these birds (huge groups flying from the sky limits at sun set)
  2. where can I get a URL of the noise / sound of those flights ? An amazing souvenir
Thank you in advance
Merci
Philippe
P5050399.JPG
 
Sand grouse? A snall game bird
There are a few different species
They make a unnistakable sound
 
I will ask my wife. Last safari, she was more interested in birds than other game
 
They are red billed quelea, Quelea quelea def not sandgrouse Sir :giggle:
Having farmed in Africa these are very common over fields of wheat and other grains and can number in their millions. They cause huge crop damages and deplete many crops across Southern Africa.
you tube : flock of red billed quelea and you will see and hear them there.

N
<*{{{-<
 
They are red billed quelea, Quelea quelea def not sandgrouse Sir :giggle:
Having farmed in Africa these are very common over fields of wheat and other grains and can number in their millions. They cause huge crop damages and deplete many crops across Southern Africa.
you tube : flock of red billed quelea and you will see and hear them there.

N
<*{{{-<
hence the question mark
and couldnt see the pic on my phone very well

now on computer i can see its red billed quelea
dont think they have a nice call/sound though
 
Thank you All. twice
it's exactly this bird, the huge sound comes from flock, impossible to hear them singing.
it's really impressive and was totally new for me
Merci
Philippe
 
Absolutely impressed you guys can ID anything from the image.
 
Mobbing the food supply like that, with that appearance, relative size and being fairly non-descript?... I'd also say Quelea. And agree definitely not sand grouse :) Saw them in Zambia first visit there. Looked like a small, plain sparrow or finch. Asked about them because of the huge numbers and densities. Was told they were Queleas and very destructive to crops.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,361
Messages
1,574,185
Members
169,921
Latest member
ChristyLas
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top