Big bore Shooting range

In my experience the biggest threat to hardened steel is velocity, not weight.

I will not shoot a damaged steel plate. Those are the ones that are going to send something back at you.
 
As @WAB stated, Shootingtargets7.com is a great source of information and has some great deals on steel targets, rubber hangers, and stable stands. If you get on their email list they often run specials on targets. I have shot at hundreds of DG rounds at AR500 steel plates, and if you stick to their recommendations you should see minimal wear on the steel plates.

This is a screenshot from their website regarding the recommended thickness and tips to extend life of steel targets.
ShootingTargets7 Thickness Chart.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: WAB
I just shot my steel 10 inch 1/2 thick AR500 at 75 yards with 420 gr CEB Raptor and a 400 gr CEB solid and there was no damage and boy did that heavy plate bounce around
 
I use AR500 plates. Over time the heavy calibers dimple them, but they do stand up. As Dave says, heavy calibers just punch holes in standard plates.
Agreed, I shoot my .470 at AR500 plates with no problems.

Mild steel… even a 30-30 will wreck 5/8th mild steel at 100yds
 
The only ar500 plates I have shot through have been from speed as well.
Big bores swing the plates hard and usually wrap the chains.
Short pieces of fire hose works much better than chains and can be hit multiple times before needing replaced.
 
Buy chain that truckers use to tie loads. Half inch stuff. Our range has used the same chain on our steel for 5 years and still good. From 100 to 500 yards up to .460 weatherby .
 
At our range, we found soft actually go through a plate easier than a solid. Lots of theories like the soft makes some kind of hot metal plasma torch. That is at 75m. Also watch out for bounce back from the plate at shorter ranges. Even when it is angled down, the plate manages to throw some bullets back at you.
This is why I don't recommend shooting big bores at gongs that are less than 100yd. I've heard some stories!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,256
Messages
1,569,876
Members
168,770
Latest member
MerryLukis
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top