Big Bore Reloading Questions

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am on the road till Tuesday late, when I get home to my loading journals I will post a few loads for you...

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you,
My 450NE is a Gibbs, built on a Webley Scott screw grip action circa 1905 and sports 28” barrels I purchased her from Geo Caswell and Champlin Arms 12yrs ago,.
Here is the load that they send with the Double..

Woodleigh 480sn 63grns IMR 30301 3grns of poly fill 1900fps

I then purchased Grahame Wrights’ book and started experimenting with RL15 and settled on ..

Woodleigh 480sn 84grns RL15 3grns poly fill 2150fps..
A Gentleman on another website did a series of pressure tests using barrel strain gauges and the effects of using fillers, his results which showed lots of pressure variation from shot to shot made me want to try another powder, (trying to be nice to an old gun) with the advice from a fellow 450ne loader I switched to H4831sc which fills the case,
I settled on…

CEB #13 480grn 100grns H4831sc 2150fps this is the load I shot my Ele with.
CEB Raptor 100grns H4831sc 2180fps
My fellow 450ne shooter has spent a lot of time at the bench with his VC 450NE his problem with RL15 was lots of variation in velocity and was very happy with H4831’s performance. He enjoys his time at the bench and has shot every conceivable .458 bullet out of his gun.
I have been playing with foam fillers and the 3031 load for a some what reduced load.

The 75% rule works very well with this cartridge keep the same powder charge and replace it with a 350grn bullet, the recoil is less but seems a bit more snappier. I have never chronied this load but the poi is the same. I have shot a lot of Hornadys 350grn round nose bullets out of the gun.

The other load to think about is a Trail Boss load it pushes a 480 grn bullet out of the end of the gun around 1100-1200fps or what ever bullet you care to shoot. I have been shooting 405grn cast of late the beauty of this load is you think you are holding on to a .22. Lots of folks have become Trail Boss fans, Todd Williams on this site is one of them. I shoot the loads to help re-establish good muscle memory after a range session with full power loads, same gun, same trigger, same sight picture, no recoil period. The loads do print low but it does not really matter as all you are shooting is paper. I have started to flip up my 200yrd leaf with brings the poi up to poa. I can say that the shooting of my Double has improved using Trail Boss. I am in the process of putting together a Trail Boss load for a friends 500 Jeff.
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Tra...uced-Loads%20R_P.pdf

You will like the 450NE, the shape of the cartridge lends it self to thinner barrels at the breech end making it easier to carry and lovely to swing, my Double with her 28” barrels swings like a good shotgun.

Every year when I pause at the VC booth at SCI and fondle their guns I envision owning one of their 500s, but I would have to use my beloved Gibbs as trade bait and it just doesn’t set right. It does every thing I need it to do, it shot my first Ele and hopefully it will shoot my next.

Good shooting…

IMG_0361-1_zps8d746628.jpg

IMG_8264copy.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_8264copy.jpg
    IMG_8264copy.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0361-1_zps8d746628.jpg
    IMG_0361-1_zps8d746628.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time and this wealth of information. That is a truly beautiful rifle, wish mine was more classic. But it is what it is and I will enjoy it....

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hi Zephyr,

Your work on a .500 Jeffery / Trail Boss powder load interests me (I have a .500 Jeffery and full pressure loads I think might about knock my teeth loose).
So far I have been shooting with "only" .500 NE equivalent ballistics in my Jeffery but an even lighter load sounds good to me.
The main reason I chose it over the .505 is that .510 - .511 diameter bullets, of various weights and also including cast lead are quite available and so, a T. Boss "plinking load" has always been in the back of my mind.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Going to be trying some loads tomorrow for my 450 double using 360 grain bullets with a change in powder. Was thinking of doing a couple each in various powder charges to see what gives me the best POI for both barrels.
Do you think I should go up a grain at a time or less increments or maybe larger increment, maybe 2 grains at a time to start?

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I usually work up 1grn at a time with my 450. The 480gr bullet at 2150fps is the standard load that is used for regulating most doubles in this caliber. Using the 75% rule, one can take the same powder charge that they are using for their 480gr Bullets and load a bullet that is 75% less in weight in this case 360grs it should give you the same POA , POI as the 480 grn load..
I usually load up 4 rounds of the same it will give me a good sampling of what the load is doing
Have Fun

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
Me again, what distance do you shoot at? Bench or free stand? What size target ?

zephyr

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
For working up loads I usually shoot at 25yrds seems the most accurate with irons and "MY" eyes. I've used 6" "shoot n Sees" holding center using an equi-distant black edge around the front bead...seems to work well, the other option that I have been pondering is cutting a 6" shoot n see in half with the target half from 9:00 to 3:00 and floating the front bead on the bottom vertical edge pretty much a 12:00 hold to a round target I have also seen targets cut from center to 10:00 and 2:00 and the shooter placing the front sight on the bottom point of the target...
Good Luck keep us posted..

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
So here it is, we loaded 2 of each starting from 93grains to 100grains in 1 grain intervals using 360grain Rhino bullets.
Shooting off sticks at 40 metres.
image.jpg93 grains image.jpg 94 grains image.jpg 95 grains and Not sure what happened here with the first shot, but that second one I definately pulled badly, right over to left.

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
image.jpg 96 grains
image.jpg 97 grains
image.jpg 98 grains, not sure what happened either, both felt like very good shots.
image.jpg Same again on 99 grains, also both felt good.

image.jpg 100grains was best!

Fr8liner

AH veteran
Reaction score
For reference I have included what the rifle came regulated to.
image.jpg
It's has definately always shot to the left so will adjust that.

William W.

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Memphis Sport Shooting Association
The best advice for those starting out in reloading os RTFM (read the $&@# manual. Loads that work for some folks and some rifles and some bullets (of the same weight) may not work for others. By the way, I use magnum primers for everything but 223. I am partial to Vihtavuori powder. I try to use VVN160 for most large bore rifles because it can be purchased in 8-pound "kegs." Yes, I should be using, VVN165, and I have some 1-pounders of that. Incidentally, the 375 H&H appears to require a faster burning powder than expected (VVN140 for 308 or VVN150 which one of my 308s requires so the bolt will open). Different powders have different temperature sensitivities. For example, Hodgdon's Varget (used for 308), but as noted above can be used for 375 H&H, is touted as being relatively insensitive to temperature - a consideration for hot African hunting. The load amount for a fast-burning powder for the same bullet and caluber is significantly less than for skow-burning powders. Bottom line: powder selection and amount used is very serious business that, in starting out, should be manual-based. The manuals are on-line! There is zero excuse for being lazy and not doing your own research. Incidentally, you can use pistols powders in rifles,, with a very small loads; morons full-loading rifle cartridges with pistol powder are Darwin Award candidates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdn_shooter

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.