Both are good options. You just have to decide which "YOU REALLY want to hunt with?"

Option one Double: My recommendation would be a 450/400 in a Chapuis, Hyem, or Krieghoff. Which ever you can get the best deal on. Practice with it a lot before going and have a great hunt.

Option 2 New Bolt gun: Again you are familiar with it and either buy a new 404. Practice with it a lot before going and have a great hunt.

Option 3 Bolt gun you already own: Take a big bore you already own (Leave the scope at home and use irons)and with the money saved on not buying a new rifle shoot 2 buffalo up close and personal. Practice with it a lot before going and have a great hunt.

My view is not quite the same. The Combi-Cocking system is one of the primary reasons I'd get it. Allowing for the completely safe carry while the rifle is loaded. ...
Yeah, people either love it or hate it. Thankfully there are plenty of manufacturers out there (practically everyone else ) to cater to those that hate it. ;)

All of us have at one time or another lusted after a special firearm and rifles are notorious for having that affect on both grown men and young boys. It sounds to me like you have the resources, within reason, to get the exact rifle you want. YOLO. Best of luck with your choice and I can't wait to see the pics.

Well fellas, it appears that I couldn't stop myself. I acted on a hunch that this would be a good investment for my purposes. We'll know when it shows up and evaluated. Completley refinished at HH in 2002. Came out of a collection in GA. The piece of white paper to the left illustrates a target that would appear to be perfect regulation the 470 NE kynock 500 gr softpoint loads. Does anybody have any recipes that would duplicate that load? I'm officially down the double rifle rabbit hole.

MANTON & CO - BEST BOXLOCK DOUBLE RIFLE 470 NITRO​

100% RECONDITIONED IN THE UK
28" BARRELS WITH GREAT BORES
1/4 RIB SIGHT 1 STANDING 2 FOLDING
DOUBLE TRIGGERS
EJECTORS
SPLINTER FOREARM
PISTOL GRIP
MAKERS CASE
11LBS 12 OZ
14 1/2 LOP

19546-18.jpg
19546-01.jpg
19546-02-1.jpg
19546-02.jpg
19546-03.jpg
19546-04.jpg
19546-06.jpg
19546-07.jpg
19546-08.jpg
19546-09.jpg
19546-10.jpg
19546-11.jpg
19546-13.jpg
19546-14.jpg
19546-15.jpg
19546-16.jpg
19546-17.jpg
19546-18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanks said "Yeah, people either love it or hate it. ".

Tanks, you may have overlooked a sizeable segment of the shooting population that just do not care.

Like myself, who shot my Cape Buff with a lever action .405 and a bunch of plains game with a bolt action .338 without CRF!!! Oh, the horror! . There is more, but enough said about a subject of no interest to me, but since you seem like a nice guy, I had to add my comment from the bleacher seats.

AS you may have surmised, all my double guns and double rifles are old fashioned and have auto safeties operated by the thumb.

AS you may have surmised, all my double guns and double rifles are old fashioned and have auto safeties operated by the thumb.

If your double rifles are old fashioned I would have thought they would NOT have had auto safeties. Or is not having auto safeties for big bore double rifles a new thing?

If your double rifles are old fashioned I would have thought they would NOT have had auto safeties. Or is not having auto safeties for big bore double rifles a new thing?
Auto safety are not new. Taylor did not recommend them and said to have them disabled as a person might not think to take safety back off after reloading during a charge. He also hunted and or poached, without backup extensively.

Uplander01 Congratulations! That's a stunning rifle. What I really like about it is the CCH and engraving make the rifle really look fantastic but it's not too nice to take hunting. In a word, perfect. Well done. Awesome rifle. I'm officially jealous.

Over the decades i have had good success with doubles and bolt actions of various calibers. I prefer my old 416 Rigby bolt action by Griffin & Howe For buffalo. More flexibility. While out spooring buff you sometimes run into a remarkable head of plains game at a range you had not anticipated. There is a reason most double rifles are little used by customer hunters. They are somewhat specialized with stiff recoil. Please read Professor Mawia‘s comments. He covers this subject very well. By the way i do love a good double.

Tanks,
I did not mean muzzle loaders or external hammers. My oldest Parker was made in the year 1900, and it does have an automatic tang safety . All my other firearms are of more recent manufacture if not more recent design.
53474_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Tanks,
After many thousands of SxS rounds when hunting or shooting clays, it is not likely that I will ever forget the status of a gun or rifle safety or fail to run it on and off checking.
My Winchester 1895 .405 WCF has a tang safety as do both of my big bore double rifles. Even my Ruger 77 .338 Win Mag has a tang safety. All one shot kills in Africa.
About the only hunting rifle that I use without a tang safety in my 1953 Winchester M70 FWT .308 that I have shot for decades.
For me, most new rifle designs are of no interest and all new shotgun designs are of ZERO interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg