Big Bore Addiction Group

I mean, I have a 404 Jeffery in case climate change brings hippos back into the Thames. They've been here before so I reckon a couple more warm summers and we'll have a real problem on our hands....
Can a 404J kill a hippo? They’re awfully big? I’d prefer my Lott.

Ive been telling myself and everyone else that! I have this rifle, and it's all I ever need on the planet. But I still want a .416 Ruger and a .458 Lott.

My family has been asking me, why I need so much rifle, living in the land of 100lb deer. I tell them it's simple. It's like money in the bank, you don't always need it, but during an emergency, it's nice to know it's there.
I have a friend who hunts deer in VA with a 375H&H. He says it's because he's too damn old to be tracking deer anymore. :LOL:

I have a friend who hunts deer in VA with a 375H&H. He says it's because he's too damn old to be tracking deer anymore. :LOL:
A 3/8" hole in each side, makes for a short track, if any at all. I always shoot on the shoulder or through the backside shoulder. Those young guys can track lung shot animals lol

I found a way to kinda beat the addiction.
I have a Remington 300wm and a Heym 500ne that I use for all hunting. I stopped buying other rifles with the help of accessories. I kept my addiction at bay so far by upgrading accessories,optics for the 300,slings,cases and so forth.
I started out with a 375h&h, then a 416, then a 470. All bolt guns. The 500 is my first and only double and i truly love it !
Which I also have a old chevelle and a drag racing addiction. So i guess im still up the creek.
I guess i can keep the addiction at bay, while im still in love with the 500 ! Haha

Can a 404J kill a hippo? They’re awfully big? I’d prefer my Lott.
Oh now you've gone and done it. Thou shalt not criticize the .404. Those people are like drunken professional wrestling fans, they're liable to do you great harm in the calamity of trying to prove that their passion is the best thing ever. I believe they also gather in musty old halls with dark robes on and pace about in circles chanting gibberish like ".404! Wonder bore!"

The .458 Lott should have plenty of power to dispatch the Hippo. Hopefully it doesn't run over that curiosity of a rifle chambering so that we can put it on display in a museum with all the other washed up cartridges.

That oughta get 'em wound up.

Interesting that some would consider the 404J insufficient to a task while proclaiming the 458L is in the class of a 50BMG, capable of taking Tyrannosaurus Rex, when in reality the L is nothing more than a 458 Win Mag with the bullet seated out to proper OAL. And much has been written about the shortcomings of that cartridge. But then, only a mentally challenged person believes everything he/she reads, including this posting.

Interesting that some would consider the 404J insufficient to a task while proclaiming the 458L is in the class of a 50BMG, capable of taking Tyrannosaurus Rex, when in reality the L is nothing more than a 458 Win Mag with the bullet seated out to proper OAL. And much has been written about the shortcomings of that cartridge. But then, only a mentally challenged person believes everything he/she reads, including this posting.
Ray B,
I was just having a little fun with Scrumbag over the .404J. It was 0 Dark Thirty here, I was working and bored and his post came up and I couldn't resist. Don't those people across the pond ever sleep? Ha! Ha!
CEH

Ray B,
I was just having a little fun with Scrumbag over the .404J. It was 0 Dark Thirty here, I was working and bored and his post came up and I couldn't resist. Don't those people across the pond ever sleep? Ha! Ha!
CEH
Wasn’t so bad of a time here my friend. I was measuring 404J case volumes today...

When text only is the only means of communication only 7% of the content is transmitted/received. The missing 97% is where the things that deliver the actual message are contained. And only those of us adept at using those smiley face guys have a chance at getting a portion of the 97% sent. Unfortunately, those guys are above my skill level. So if someone takes offense at something I wrote or infers some meaning that wasn't intended, I apologize.

Well if I'm judging by recoil, my .458 Lott is more powerful than the .50 BMG. 9½ pounds vs. 35 pounds is a big difference in soaking up that free recoil energy.

When text only is the only means of communication only 7% of the content is transmitted/received. The missing 97% is where the things that deliver the actual message are contained. And only those of us adept at using those smiley face guys have a chance at getting a portion of the 97% sent. Unfortunately, those guys are above my skill level. So if someone takes offense at something I wrote or infers some meaning that wasn't intended, I apologize.
No worries @Ray B ... I took it in good spirit (though I was momentarily reaching for my pith helmet and preparing for a dust up!)

I do agree, tone is often missed in text form. I also am somewhat puzzled by the convention of communication being measured out of 104% ( 97% + 7% = 104%...? ) ;) :p

No worries @Ray B ... I took it in good spirit (though I was momentarily reaching for my pith helmet and preparing for a dust up!)

I do agree, tone is often missed in text form. I also am somewhat puzzled by the convention of communication being measured out of 104% ( 97% + 7% = 104%...? ) ;) :p
The other 4% is the alcohol !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg