Best way to pay for a Safari?

Never having been on a Safari to Africa, what is the best/common practice to pay for it? I’m not privy on how to “wire” funds internationally although I’ve sent funds domestically through Western Union. And once you’re there, cash, Travelers Checks, for expenses, hotels, food, tips, etc.? Exchange rates for using local currencies or use U.S. currency? I’ve been to Mexico, Canada and other countries in the Caribbean and U.S. currency is standard. I’m sure this has been asked here and answered before, so if there is a link somewhere here I’d appreciate it. Just trying to get ahead of the planning chaos.
Thanks!
You do need to learn to work with your bank to do wire transfers. I have my banks form saved on my computer so I can easily fill it out and take it in. Wire transfers are the cheapest way to do this especially versus credit cards and carrying lots of cash is not advisable.
Most outfitters want a 50% deposit and then the balance on the hunt or on daily rates and estimated trophy fees just before the hunt. Then you can just take cash for tips and the balance if you take another trophy or two. The outfitter I am working with only requires a $1000 deposit then the 50% the December before the hunt then the balance just before the safari. This helps especially when booking years in advance as is becoming the norm.
Philip

What was the reason the PH wanted the money converted to local currency while you were there? I haven’t heard this before. Usually they want the

Im not certain, but could be a restriction on how much citizen can exchange

What was the reason the PH wanted the money converted to local currency while you were there? I haven’t heard this before. Usually they want the US dollars.
Taxes

A lot depends on how/who you book thru. As already mentioned, if you use a US based booking agent, you can pay them like any other normal US to US based transaction. Depending on the agent, could be by CC, personal check, domestic wire transfer.

Also mentioned, some non-US based outfitters have bank accounts in the US. If they give your the name of the bank and the account info and there happens to be a branch of that bank in your area, you can deposit directly to their account. Send them an email that on such date/time you deposited $X.XX amount so they can log on and confirm.

NOTE: I believe it was sometime in 2018, the US banking laws changed to were someone could NOT deposit cash into another persons bank account unless they were actually listed on the account. Checks, MO's etc are fine, just no cash.

International wire transfers are not that difficult. The outfitter/PH just emails you all of the required info you need to give to your bank to initiate the transfer. You just take that info to your bank. They will likely have you fill out a form authorizing international wire transfers and read you some "legalese" stuff and you just sign that you agree. They will likely ask you "what the funds are for" and just tell them for "vacation travel". Give them the info for were the money is to go and that's it. Oh, and it's not "instant" like in the movies. Usually takes a couple of days. The funds are immediately removed from your account but won't so up "over there" and accessible at the other end for a few days.

Not unusually for booking agents/outfitters/PH's to require a certain % of the fees be paid in advance to "lock in" your hunt and dates. Then a certain amount again just before you go and then the balance and any extra fees settled before you come home. The final settlements can be in cash or some even have CC terminals "in camp" and can run your CC right there. Some clients have things per-arranged with there banks at home to initiate the final wire transfer via a phone call or email with the bank sending back a "confirmation number" the wire transfer was formally initiated.

I don't know for sure about other countries other than Botswana and Namibia, but personal checks, bank certified checks, money orders and even traveler's checks are NOT accepted by banks in those countries - was too much "bad paper" (fake/fraud) passed in the past.

Final payment in cash can be done. Was already mentioned about the $10K declaration limit going out of the US. Legal to take more, just have to declare it on a US FINCEN Form 105. Depending on what country you're going to "foreign" cash might cause a little difficulty. Autofire above, in Namibia to cut down on the black market currency trade, it is illegal for a Namibian citizen to exchange foreign currency for Namibian dollars. So, PH/outfitter may ask a current client to help exchange some money left behind by another foreign client. Botswana does NOT have this restriction on Bots citizens exchanging foreign cash for Bots Pula.

All in all, lots of ways to pay and most booking agents, outfitters, PH's have sorted this out well.

FOX375 - The reason you asked Autofire about PH asking a client to exchange money for him in Namibia is explained above, second para from bottom of my post. Little to do with taxes. More so they can't spend USD or even deposit it into a bank.

Clients wire the bulk of the funds for their hunts over and then settle out in cash when they leave. If a client can't get to a bank or exchange kiosk before they leave, they just pay in USD. PH just holds the USD until a future client is picket up and if a bank or exchange kiosk is open, a PH might ask a client to exchange previous client cash.

By the way, the exchange rates in Namibia are pretty much the same at banks or exchange kiosks, even at the airport only a few Namibian cents difference but some don't charge a "fee" on top if you exchange above a certain amount.

Last edited:
on my trips to africa i went to a friends bank and changed dollars to rand (u.s. passport needed) and hunted privet ranches. with varing exchange rates that made the animals i hunter cheaper and they were listed in rand. example, this eland cost R 7000 and with rate at time of exchange being 16-1 it was a very good price.

DSCN1347.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Never having been on a Safari to Africa, what is the best/common practice to pay for it? I’m not privy on how to “wire” funds internationally although I’ve sent funds domestically through Western Union. And once you’re there, cash, Travelers Checks, for expenses, hotels, food, tips, etc.? Exchange rates for using local currencies or use U.S. currency? I’ve been to Mexico, Canada and other countries in the Caribbean and U.S. currency is standard. I’m sure this has been asked here and answered before, so if there is a link somewhere here I’d appreciate it. Just trying to get ahead of the planning chaos.
Thanks!
@CoElkHunter
Our out fitter took care of all that but for PH and staff tip as well as other stuff while in country we took what we thought we would need in local currency.
Bob

When I went to do an International Bank Transfer I found that not all banks or credit unions can do it. I ended up having to open a new account with a large bank chain to be able to do it. I'm in a rural area and all the banks and credit unions are small. Although there is one that has branches through out Texas, but they couldn't do it either. Had to drive over an hour to a city to find one that could. So, ask your bank. The transfer itself is easy and doesn't take very long. Just be sure you have all the person's info, i.e. swift number, account number, name, address, & purpose of the transfer.

Thanks to everyone here for all the great information! I’m sure it’s helped many others here reading this. BTW, I haven’t been getting post alerts to this thread since 10-17. Strange? A member here just sent me a PM and I just read the posts since that date. Must be the almost full “blue moon” or the single digit temperatures here?

I would like to pay for my next safari with PCH sweepstakes money.

For my previous safaris, I sent a wire transfer and then brought cash......and had to also send more money one time after getting back home.

my wife wants to go back again (which admittedly I do too, but she is pushing for it) but to Namibia this time. I told her if she wins the lottery or something we would, so she entered the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstakes. Not holding my breath for her to actually win though.

I've been in camp with you and your wife on safari..

I have a feeling if she wants to hunt namibia.. .somehow @Savage Hunter is going to figure out how to pay for it.. PCH win or not .... :) :) :)

I've been in camp with you and your wife on safari..

I have a feeling if she wants to hunt namibia.. .somehow @Savage Hunter is going to figure out how to pay for it.. PCH win or not .... :) :) :)
Yep. It's also lot more fun to give her everything she wants when it is something I already want. lol.
we may have to try for 2022 or later. She has a knee replacement to tackle next summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg