Best value for different areas

Like others have said. Research the area for your main animals. I went to the Kalahari area in SA for Gemsbuck, was cheaper than most other regions of SA. Kudu will depend on if you want Greater Kudu or Cape Kudu. I have not hunted the Cape Kudu, but have take 4 good Greater in the Northwest. Also do you want a camp with other hunters or a smaller camp where you or your group are the only ones. I prefer the camp where me or my group are the only ones. That way we or I have all of the properties the PH/Outfitter has at our disposal and not limited to certain areas.
Lots of good advice so far. Research and do more research. Check with all the AH sponsors first before you reach out to others.

Yeah,

The place we're hunting with certainly do charge more for a Kudu over 55 inches... Which is why I'm thinking about changing my plan a bit and leaving a Kudu for another day in another country...

Personally I would not hunt a place that has animal price structured by inches.

Personally I would not hunt a place that has animal price structured by inches.
This is why I'm starting to talk myself into leaving a Kudu for another time and place. We're locked into to the outfitter for this trip as they've been amazing to deal with and very accommodating for us travelling with a 14 month old.

As I said some of the prices quoted are some of the best I've seen so maybe I'm just better off leaving the Kudu as my reason for returning to Africa one day.

Does he offer any multi animal packages with X amount of days?

This is why I'm starting to talk myself into leaving a Kudu for another time and place. We're locked into to the outfitter for this trip as they've been amazing to deal with and very accommodating for us travelling with a 14 month old.

As I said some of the prices quoted are some of the best I've seen so maybe I'm just better off leaving the Kudu as my reason for returning to Africa one day.
Sounds like you have it all worked out?

Who are you hunting with?

A reputable outfitter, with good concessions and capable PH’s to guide you, should be able to get you what you need or want. Just be open to opportunity and don’t be afraid to alter your plans if an animal that may not be on the top of your list presents itself. I shot a monster Waterbuck that way! It’s not a perfect science…

Happy Hunting!

Does he offer any multi animal packages with X amount of days?
They do,

However, I've managed to get a bit of a different set up for my safari due to travelling with the little fella. I'm happy with that side of it. Basically an ala carte hunt with better pricing than normal.

Sounds like you have it all worked out?

Who are you hunting with?

A reputable outfitter, with good concessions and capable PH’s to guide you, should be able to get you what you need or want. Just be open to opportunity and don’t be afraid to alter your plans if an animal that may not be on the top of your list presents itself. I shot a monster Waterbuck that way! It’s not a perfect science…

Happy Hunting!
Hunting with Somerby Safaris,

They've been amazing to this point.

Very much open to opportunity and taking what the bush presents.... But it doesn't stop me from working out every possible combination of animals in the meantime ;)

I really feel the best experience per dollar (for plains game) is in the eastern cape of South Africa. Second would be ranches in central/north central Namibia. Botswana seems great but I haven’t had opportunity to hunt it yet. Limpopo is easy to travel to, but I feel it’s lacking in other aspects. For determining value, I’d look less at the price per animal and more at properties available to hunt, how many hunters in camp, experience of PHs, many other factors.

I really feel the best experience per dollar (for plains game) is in the eastern cape of South Africa. Second would be ranches in central/north central Namibia. For determining value, I’d look less at the price per animal and more at properties available to hunt, how many hunters in camp, experience of PHs, many other factors.
Really comfortable with the choice of outfitter etc.

Now just getting into the nitty grittys of the trip.

Really comfortable with the choice of outfitter etc.

Now just getting into the nitty grittys of the trip.
It’s difficult to give advice on value when you’ve already selected an area and outfitter. At this point it’s better to just hunt what interests you and stay inside your budget. One area I disagree with other members is on skipping kudu over the greater than 55 and less than 55 brackets. 50-55 inches is a great kudu and most don’t get opportunity at a greater than 55, some areas aren’t capable. The brackets probably would have caused me to lean toward a different outfitter, but I think you will regret skipping kudu on a first safari if it’s just the size brackets making you rethink it.

It’s difficult to give advice on value when you’ve already selected an area and outfitter. At this point it’s better to just hunt what interests you and stay inside your budget. One area I disagree with other members is on skipping kudu over the greater than 55 and less than 55 brackets. 50-55 inches is a great kudu and most don’t get opportunity at a greater than 55, some areas aren’t capable. The brackets probably would have caused me to lean toward a different outfitter, but I think you will regret skipping kudu on a first safari if it’s just the size brackets making you rethink it.
Appreciate that advice.

All these questions coming from the point of view of a person that hasn't seen a kudu in the flesh.

I doubt very much I'll turn down a 54" Kudu if I see one ;)

These questions aren't even necessarily about this trip but looking into the future.

Hi everyone!

I'm in the process of planning my first safari and while researching it's quite clear that the same species of animal can have vastly different trophy prices in different areas/countries.

For example, where I'm planning on hunting in Limpopo the price I've been quoted for a Red Heartbeast looks to be great value when compared to other outfitters in different areas. On the flipside, Oryx seem to be quite a bit more expensive than a lot of Namibia prices.

I'm fully aware that different outfitters offer a different level of service etc. but generally speaking what areas do you think are best to target certain species for best value and what species would you specifically avoid in a certain area due to high prices?

Hi Stoxicity

This planning stage you are in is allot of fun but entails many decisions and usually hours of planning dreaming and research. I believe you have to look at the "product" that you will be buying into and spending your hard earned money with, and ultimately decide if that is what you want to support?

As mentioned in previous posts, some animals come cheaper in certain areas and others could be more expensive depending on natural historical distribution for example, as you have seen. (Oryx in many parts of Limpopo struggle to adapt and breed with ticks and a disease called "Hartswater" being their biggest setback and in more arid parts of Limpopo they flourish, although still not as well as in Namibia).

Picking out a nice package deal could help allot and you might even end up hunting some different species as well as your initial list. Try to put together a picture of what your safari would look like, go and meet some outfits at DSC or SCI and ask all the questions that will make your safari tick all the right boxes. Selecting from sponsors on AH also helps to end up with a reputable outfit with plenty of reviews right here.

Affordability is one consideration out of many, other factors to keep in mind would be what you are looking for in your safari, this could range from hunting techniques like walking and stalking or working a blind for some species as that could also vary in different areas and even different times of the year right through to your Outfitters involvement in anti poaching and other conservational efforts and where if you would prefer to be a part of that? @TTundra also has great points to consider in his post on this thread.

African hunting can cater for almost all, asking the right questions and taking time to make your decision would help. Good luck and remember to enjoy your planning!

Kind regards
Aj Fourie.

Appreciate that advice.

All these questions coming from the point of view of a person that hasn't seen a kudu in the flesh.

I doubt very much I'll turn down a 54" Kudu if I see one ;)

These questions aren't even necessarily about this trip but looking into the future.

1667204706912.jpeg

I bet you won't turn down that 54" unless you already have one bigger maybe....

That all being said, don't let the measuring tape put a damper on your Safari, rather try to focus on age appropriate trophies to harvest?

Yeah,

The place we're hunting with certainly do charge more for a Kudu over 55 inches... Which is why I'm thinking about changing my plan a bit and leaving a Kudu for another day in another country...
@stoxicity
Where we hunted it didn't matter if your kudu was 52" or 58" it was just one price
Bob

@stoxicity … great question & topic to hash around + you’ve already received some solid feedback & advice from a group of seasoned AH’ers.

My input is a X1 @BRICKBURN solid comment, “Endemic Species.” I’ll take it a step further … Regions within that said Country.

I equally have enjoyed the research/planning of nine/9 Plains Game trips across three/3 Countries & you learn from mid-steps or “in the moment” decisions like, a Livingston Eland trophy fee $$$$ is considerable ^ higher in S. Africa VS. Zimbabwe trophy fee $$.

Today: my trophy hit-list drives what Country & Region I’ll visit & from there I research an enjoyable Operator. Afew examples:

Greater Kudu trophy fee can command more $$$ in the Eastern Cape vs. Limpopo Region, same trophy same Country.

Hartmann Zebra: … no better deal $$ than Namibia.
Oryx/Gemsbuck: … no better deal $$ than Namibia or Botswana.
Livingstone Eland: … no better deal $$ than Zimbabwe.
Impala, Springbok & Blesbok: … no better deal $$ than S Africa.

Goes back to the basics of researching thriving endemic species to the Country you’ve selected & $$$ saved on Endemic Species trophy fees can be applied to off-set higher trophy fee‘s on your Hit-List.

*Suggestion: always ask your Operator, “what species are known to produce exception trophies for your properties? If they respond, we routinely take Blesbok @ or over 17-inch.” IF Blesbok Is Not on your Hit-List seriously consider a “TWEAK” & Add: Blesbok. ;)

Enjoy the Operator/Country you’ve already commitment too … good Comm & Chemistry early in the process hugely important.

Happy Trails

@stoxicity … great question & topic to hash around + you’ve already received some solid feedback & advice from a group of seasoned AH’ers.

My input is a X1 @BRICKBURN solid comment, “Endemic Species.” I’ll take it a step further … Regions within that said Country.

I equally have enjoyed the research/planning of nine/9 Plains Game trips across three/3 Countries & you learn from mid-steps or “in the moment” decisions like, a Livingston Eland trophy fee $$$$ is considerable ^ higher in S. Africa VS. Zimbabwe trophy fee $$.

Today: my trophy hit-list drives what Country & Region I’ll visit & from there I research an enjoyable Operator. Afew examples:

Greater Kudu trophy fee can command more $$$ in the Eastern Cape vs. Limpopo Region, same trophy same Country.

Hartmann Zebra: … no better deal $$ than Namibia.
Oryx/Gemsbuck: … no better deal $$ than Namibia or Botswana.
Livingstone Eland: … no better deal $$ than Zimbabwe.
Impala, Springbok & Blesbok: … no better deal $$ than S Africa.

Goes back to the basics of researching thriving endemic species to the Country you’ve selected & $$$ saved on Endemic Species trophy fees can be applied to off-set higher trophy fee‘s on your Hit-List.

*Suggestion: always ask your Operator, “what species are known to produce exception trophies for your properties? If they respond, we routinely take Blesbok @ or over 17-inch.” IF Blesbok Is Not on your Hit-List seriously consider a “TWEAK” & Add: Blesbok. ;)

Enjoy the Operator/Country you’ve already commitment too … good Comm & Chemistry early in the process hugely important.

Happy Trails
Thankyou Jaegger.

Fantastic response and exactly the conversation I was looking for. Blesbok isn't something I've really considered to be honest although, they are quite cheap where I'm hunting.

and what species would you specifically avoid in a certain area due to high prices?
I dont shoot premium game, when valued as premium.

So, consideration is follwoing:
- shoot premium animal, old one, with broken horn, with heavy discount, as agreed in advance
- go to other area where that animal is more financially acceptable
- dont shoot that animal, there is plenty other species

Depending of area, premium plains game animal could be: sable, roan, tsessebe, red lechwe, color variant, price per inch of horn, etc
This is for one safari to think about.

If you will be coming to safari again, then choose area when some of those are cheaper.
Repeated safari.
Keep constantly lookout for broken horns, if acceptable in your trophy room. With repeated safaris, you will get it eventually.

Finally, forget about preimum game.
For trophy fee only for pne premium game, you can have full PG safari on some less priced animals.
Hunt for throphy, or hunt for experience.

I would purchase a package hunt including the animals naturally occurring in that area. My goal is to go to Africa atleast 3 times. I went to the eastern cape this past year and took 15 animals about as cheaply as a man can find. A few I took would have been cheaper in other places but since I purchased a package the prices weren’t way far off on those animals.
My next trip will be in a different part of Africa and I will be hunting mostly animals I didn’t get the first trip. Also I want a big kudu so I will be sure where I go has good size kudu. Also I may bow hunt in the next trip.
point is might not be your only trip to Africa. Don’t overpay for an animal that you could take somewhere else for $1000 cheaper. Don’t overpay for day fees when you can have them rolled into a packaged deal. My outfitter was excellent and I could have worked deals on some animals on the fly. I like being able to do that as well.

@BeeMaa and @Angelo_orygun both hunter with Somerby I believe. May want to chat with them a bit on any info you may want. They had good things to say.

Somerby has treated me beyond well on two trips, would have zero issues recommending them. Multiple folks I know personally have had the same experience with them! You picked well!

Glad to answer any questions.

They hunt all over RSA and can get you to multiple areas of the country on a single trip - a good option for a 12-14 day Safari.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois