Best stock style to mitigate recoil

Cast Off.

Drop at comb.

Drop at heel.

Canted toe.

Generous sized butt end.

Good recoil pad.

Join my thread in Gunsmithing. I will be designing a couple of stocks for Mausers in the next weeks. Iron sighted rifles. So if you have had experience with the items above, visit and offer suggestions.

My stock dimensions for iron sights:

5/8" drop at front of comb. 1-5/8" drop at heel. 14-1/4" pull length. 3/8" to 1/2" cast off, depends on the cartridge. More cast off for the big bores.

enhance

Look at this thread for the hows of making a stock with cast off:

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/setting-up-the-north-star-gunstock-duplicator.28310/

Attachments

• enhance.jpg
    enhance.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: IvW
There is something functional about the elitist grade guns, that's why it's such a beautiful thing when you can find one affordable and enjoy it. Buy best grade guns from obscure makers to make them affordable. There are guns 98% as fine as a vintage Rigby for 15% of the cost. My point is that if we agree to what makes something best for fit and function, it doesn't mean we all can't afford it with a hard search and thoughtful purchase. I've owned truly best guns for as little as $1100 that didn't have the right name engraved.

Any examples of obscure makers?

I doubt anyone has one on a big bore but a thumb hole stock keeps the recoil off your shoulder.

I haven't shot anything bigger than .375 Ruger or a 10 gauge, but wouldn't the heavy recoil make that thumb hurt a lot?

The posts above contain two points about gunstock fit that I wish to quote:
"I agree the Brits had this sorted along time ago. You often hear " she handles like a shotgun" have a look British shotgun stock design (Purdy etc.)"
I grew up shooting Parkers and my double rifle handles just like my 12 gauge; it comes up on target every time and there is no felt recoil.
AND:
" Buy best grade guns from obscure makers to make them affordable." That is what I did:
Note the low comb and the very low Talley QD scope mount machined into the rib in the pic below.

This combination of iron sights, low scope mpount, and medium to low comb (nothing like a Monte Carlo) allow perfect fit/use of both iron sights and a scope. This rifle was custom made to handle the recoil of the .405 Winchester from the bench or off hand and to be fired using either the express sights or the scope. It is comfortable with 300 and 400 grain loads from the bench and off hand and handles like a best grade shotgun; comes up on target with irons and cross hairs. Hard to miss with a rifle like this.

It also groups well -two rounds from each barrel in less than one inch at 50 yards-regulation target.

51984_600x400.jpg

Attachments

• 51984_600x400-2.jpg
    51984_600x400-2.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 51983_600x400.jpg
    51983_600x400.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 126
  • 51984_600x400.jpg
    51984_600x400.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited by a moderator:
You mention big bore rifles.

If used with a scope only the stock needs to be made accordingly. If used with qd mounts there will be a compromise probably on the open sight side. In this case a leather pad(as a cheek piece) can be fitted for use with the scope and made easily removable for use with the open sights. When using scopes on big bore rifles the correct scope is just as important, not only does it need to stand up to the recoil but it needs to have enough eye relief to avoid "Weatherby eyebrow". If you use the correct scope and the stock fits you the sight picture should be perfect when you lift the rifle and aim, without the need to shift your head/aim around in order to get the sight picture.

When used with open sights only the stock needs to be made to exactly fit the shooter. LOP, cast off, drop and angle of the pad becomes very important. When using a big bore with open sights, you should lift the rifle into position with your eyes closed and then when opening them(or the shooter eye if you only open one) and the bead should be perfectly nestled in the V of the rear sight or exactly in the centre if using a ghost ring, if not the stock needs work to be done. Much like a shotgun, if a shotgun stock does not fit you, you will miss more often than connect.

I use open sights more than a scope and prefer the classic straight stock, with cheek piece and cast off to the right.

There are however many other issues that can cause excessive recoil- balance, weight, caliber, chamber pressure, freebore etc....

As an example, a big bore with a tight chamber and very little jump to the lands using mono metal bullets will tend to create more pressure and recoil than one with more jump to the lands. Pressure spikes when getting to the higher load levels will also be more prominent and can greatly increase felt recoil.

If you have recoil concerns with a specific rifle I would suggest also looking into all of these as stock fit is but one factor that influence recoil.

Prefer a straight classic. Hate the old cz-602s..., designed to hurt.

Just recived a laminated blank intended for my 404-project, so have to spend some time drinking coffe and deside on how it should end up.

You mention big bore rifles.

If used with a scope only the stock needs to be made accordingly. If used with qd mounts there will be a compromise probably on the open sight side. In this case a leather pad(as a cheek piece) can be fitted for use with the scope and made easily removable for use with the open sights. When using scopes on big bore rifles the correct scope is just as important, not only does it need to stand up to the recoil but it needs to have enough eye relief to avoid "Weatherby eyebrow". If you use the correct scope and the stock fits you the sight picture should be perfect when you lift the rifle and aim, without the need to shift your head/aim around in order to get the sight picture.

When used with open sights only the stock needs to be made to exactly fit the shooter. LOP, cast off, drop and angle of the pad becomes very important. When using a big bore with open sights, you should lift the rifle into position with your eyes closed and then when opening them(or the shooter eye if you only open one) and the bead should be perfectly nestled in the V of the rear sight or exactly in the centre if using a ghost ring, if not the stock needs work to be done. Much like a shotgun, if a shotgun stock does not fit you, you will miss more often than connect.

I use open sights more than a scope and prefer the classic straight stock, with cheek piece and cast off to the right.

There are however many other issues that can cause excessive recoil- balance, weight, caliber, chamber pressure, freebore etc....

As an example, a big bore with a tight chamber and very little jump to the lands using mono metal bullets will tend to create more pressure and recoil than one with more jump to the lands. Pressure spikes when getting to the higher load levels will also be more prominent and can greatly increase felt recoil.

If you have recoil concerns with a specific rifle I would suggest also looking into all of these as stock fit is but one factor that influence recoil.

As always great info @IvW. Thanks for always providing solid info.

//Gus

I haven't shot anything bigger than .375 Ruger or a 10 gauge, but wouldn't the heavy recoil make that thumb hurt a lot?

I have a thumbhole stocked Blaser R8, I asked Blaser about max calibre I can use with it and they recommended to not go over 375 due to recoil becoming unpleasant with big bores with potential for hand injury. I do use mine with 375H&H barrel for most of my hunting without issues and it’s not at all bad. With recoil reducer fitted in I can shoot it prone or off the bench without problems much to surprise of local shooters who seem to be frightened of their 30-06 and the like and expect me to have my shoulders ripped out. As standard Blaser thumbhole stocked rifles come with lighter alloy receivers while their big bore editions come with steel ones. Their recommendation is to go with steel for anything over 375. In addition to extra weight from the receiver their big bores come with heavy barrel profile (22mm) as well. My 375 is a standard 17mm profile. Scoped my rifle weighs in at 4.5kg - about 10lbs. If so inclined however one can use their thumbhole stocked gun with big calibers as demonstrated in this clip with 500 Jeffery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildwillalaska

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.