Best source for a used double rifle?

Shakka

AH fanatic
Joined
Oct 25, 2019
Messages
561
Reaction score
1,013
Location
NEW YORK
Media
3
Articles
2
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Hello Fellas, I am going to begin looking for a s/s double rifle in 375H&H, 450-400, 470NE etc. Not ready to buy yet, but I am working towards it.

I am wondering what are the best sources/dealers to start looking at to get an idea of what's available. Also I am left-handed.

Thanks Fellas!
 
champlinarms.com in Oklahoma. George always has a nice selection of second hand doubles. JJ Perodeaux is the gunsmith in the same location and can work on getting it fitted perfectly for you.
William Larkin Moore in Phoenix also has a few.
 
My first call would be to George Caswell of Champlin Arms in Enid, OK. http://www.champlinarms.com/ He has been in the business for a very long time, has a sterling reputation, and you will know exactly what you are purchasing as opposed to what you hope you are purchasing from Guns International or Gubroker.

Also call JJ Perodeau directly. He is semi-independent of George and also sells quality used rifles. https://jjperodeau.com/

Also discuss the left hand issue with both. There are two areas of concern - cast and trigger placement.
 
Last edited:
i have found three in order of priority
1. AH.com…nothing like being able to know a persons reputation before you buy from them
2. George Caswell at Champlain Arms…well respected and JJ Perodeau although no longer in partnership they still work together so you know the gun is perfect mechanically when you get it
3. Guns International…i have never been burned there
 
I should have added stevebarnettfineguns.com to the list above. Also a great selection of pre-owned doubles.
You should also consider coming to the Dallas Safari Club Convention in January 11-14, 2024. Always dozens of beautiful doubles to look at and buy.
 
Think twice before you buy a .375 H&H double.
 
Think twice before you buy a .375 H&H double.
Rimmed cartridges has always works best for me. Of course I also just really like the older cartridges. My doubles have been: 11.2x60R; 500BPE, both currently own. Prior I had a 577bpe. All three are rimmed cartridges and NEVER had any issues extraction or headspace.
 
Does Champlain’s have a show room or is it appointment only? Starting my search for a double and will be driving down I-35 Friday.
 
They have an office by Woodring airport. Make sure you call George asap to schedule a time. Then double it, you will lose track of time there.
 
Shakka, in addition to where you buy, is to consider searching for a direct sale from the owner. After getting the correct stock fit, caliber, look or embellishments. Its a huge benefit to get from the seller the bullet and speed of that bullet each barrel prefers.

Heym seem to be less picky than other brands. Some will have you frustrated and spending time and money to get a 4” group at 50 yds.


Finding a DR with the load development done is worth paying extra for.

Unless you like the process ( some do).

Or you just enjoy my punishing yourself :cool:
 
You might try the friendly folks at Westley Richards Base in Bozeman, Montana. They show in stock today a double rifle by William Evans in 450/400 3 1/4" and a single by Thomas Heubeurg in 450/400 3".

They have been in business there for several years. It's a small shop with very impressive guns available to handle as well as ammo, gear, and clothes.

Importation services are also available which may help you find something for a southpaw .
 
i have found three in order of priority
1. AH.com…nothing like being able to know a persons reputation before you buy from them
2. George Caswell at Champlain Arms…well respected and JJ Perodeau although no longer in partnership they still work together so you know the gun is perfect mechanically when you get it
3. Guns International…i have never been burned there
Nothing like knowing someone’s reputation.

 
Dwight Van Brunt from Sportsman's Legacy out of Kalispell, Montana is fantastic. I just bought a double from him.

He is a wealth of knowledge. He will almost talk you out of a double as he will talk you into one. I truly respect that. He isn't trying to "sell" anyone anything. He ensuring you make the most informed decision.

I had a wonderful experience!
 
Dwight Van Brunt from Sportsman's Legacy out of Kalispell, Montana is fantastic. I just bought a double from him.

He is a wealth of knowledge. He will almost talk you out of a double as he will talk you into one. I truly respect that. He isn't trying to "sell" anyone anything. He ensuring you make the most informed decision.

I had a wonderful experience!

A half dozen years ago I bought a wonderful custom .375 H&H from Dwight. What a fine gentleman he is. We discussed double rifles to which he offered if I'd visit him in Montana he'd let me shoot any of the double rifles he had for sale.

Dwight's Sportsman's Legacy's offerings are not bargin priced. Rather they are high quality arms priced at market value.
 
A half dozen years ago I bought a wonderful custom .375 H&H from Dwight. What a fine gentleman he is. We discussed double rifles to which he offered if I'd visit him in Montana he'd let me shoot any of the double rifles he had for sale.

Dwight's Sportsman's Legacy's offerings are not bargin priced. Rather they are high quality arms priced at market value.
I absolutely agree! We shot my .470 before signing the paperwork, and I immediately knew it was THE gun.

What I appreciate about Dwight is that he enjoys talking about guns and makes the time for it with his clients. I got to ask him a million questions, that he happily answered; never making me feel stupid or like I was a burden.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,572,114
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top