Best Reloading Press for 1" dies?

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Anyone got any experience or tips when it comes to using dies with a 1" body?

For now my plan is to just use my Hornady LNL classic press by taking the bushing insert out and replacing it with a 1-1/4" to 1" thread adapter to accommodate the 1" die body of the 500 Jeffery dies.

But moving forward I am also considering buying a press specifically for 1" dies and reloading 500 Jeffery. Has anyone noticed one press seems to work better than another when using the 1" dies? If not I may just buy another Hornady LNL classic.

I use a RCBS AmmoMaster with the appropriate bushing reducer (1-1/4-1 inch) for my CH4D 1 " dies. I have two top plates for my AmmoMaster, (1-1/4 and 1-1/2) and procured the appropriate bushing from CH4D direct. I also have an old RCBS Rockchucker which can work without a reduction bushing but like the added opening of the AmmoMaster for my longer NE rounds. Hope this helps.

IMG_20200613_183545939PIC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a RCBS AmmoMaster with the appropriate bushing reducer (1-1/4-1 inch) for my CH4D 1 " dies. I have two top plates for my AmmoMaster, (1-1/4 and 1-1/2) and procured the appropriate bushing from CH4D direct. I also have an old RCBS Rockchucker which can work without a reduction bushing but like the added opening of the AmmoMaster for my longer NE rounds. Hope this helps.

View attachment 353453
I also bought CH4D dies, how have you found them? Can you roll crimp with the CH4D seater for the 500 Jeffery? In the CH4D die set instructions I found online it says "Most, but not all, CH4D seat dies are roll crimp seaters" I am hoping and assuming that you can roll crimp with the seater that is their 2 die set.

Mine roll crimp AOK! I've found CH4D dies, on the average, decent (have 4 sets all big bore 1") and they get the job done. Never an issue in reloaded rounds for doubles nor bolt actions. They may not be as well "Finished" ie sharp corners vs RCBS. Hornady etc but like'em. Give them a good cleaning before use and you good to go. I did get a Lee Factory Crimp die made to compliment the die sets as well. Let the fun begin! Hope this helps.

Forgot- for a trimmer I use a Forster Classic for the .510 and below stuff.

Mine roll crimp AOK! I've found CH4D dies, on the average, decent (have 4 sets all big bore 1") and they get the job done. Never an issue in reloaded rounds for doubles nor bolt actions. They may not be as well "Finished" ie sharp corners vs RCBS. Hornady etc but like'em. Give them a good cleaning before use and you good to go. I did get a Lee Factory Crimp die made to compliment the die sets as well. Let the fun begin! Hope this helps.

Forgot- for a trimmer I use a Forster Classic for the .510 and below stuff.
Thanks for the info! I haven't had any issues with roll crimping other calibres as yet so I think I will go with a roll crimp for now to see how I go before I invest in a crimp die.

The Hornady should handle it. I have one and I'm not a fan of the bushings I'm considering getting a reducer or threaded bish to step the 1-1/4 to 7/8
Does anyone know if that's available off the shelf

The Hornady should handle it. I have one and I'm not a fan of the bushings I'm considering getting a reducer or threaded bish to step the 1-1/4 to 7/8
Does anyone know if that's available off the shelf
I believe these are available for both Lee and RCBS but I believe the 2 different brands have different TPI. Not sure if one of them will fit the Hornady.
I don't mind the bushings but I could take them or leave them.........
Still haven't bought a second press but was looking at a Redding just the other day. Currently still just changing out the thread adaptor when I want to load 500 Jeff

I use the Redding Big Boss ll. Bought it when I had my .500 Jeffery and bought a 1 1/4 to 1 inch bushing adapter for the RCBS 1 in dies.
It came with the 1 1/4 to 7/8 bushing.
Now I use it to size 450/400 Nitro 3" in Hornady dies. Much easier to resize than on the old Lyman turret press I was using.
You can't go wrong with the Redding

I bought a Lee “Classic cast press” for my .470NE- the classic cast press accepts both 7/8” & 1-1/4” dies and has enough stroke length to handle anything you have.

I ended up likening the classic cast so much, that it’s about all I use now.

I need a bushing for my RCBS 1 1/4 TO 1 INCH CH4D DIE IN 577 BPE...
Any Help is awesome...

I need a bushing for my RCBS 1 1/4 TO 1 INCH CH4D DIE IN 577 BPE...
Any Help is awesome...
You can backorder one from Midwayusa.com it's even on sale.

Screenshot_20220214-230809_Chrome.jpg

Cool
Thanks to all.
Also looking for some 577 3 1/4 inch Brass ???
Jeffrey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyOKe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg