Best Drink You've Had on Safari?

A man after my own heart!!!
I love beer, no error. But it doesn't love me back. Makes me grow b!+ch teats and fart a lot.

The best drink I’ve had in Africa was a couple fingers of a great McCallen shared with @tarbe @John Sharp and @DaveL after a successful buff hunt. Followed closely by FourX in OZ after smashing Buffalo. But the Best drink I’ve ever had was the first sip of Alaska White after a 15 day float hunt with my Dad when we got out of the bush!
What a beautiful, memorable time that was.

Not anymore in South Africa sadly. Apparently they passed a sugar tax so a portion is artificial sweetener now to keep prices same.
Definitely in Zim, where they grow a pile of it still! Why they say the Mexican coke tastes so good, as well.

Oban 14 year old in a cut crystal tumbler by the fire late at night. Just two of you left up, conversation not necessary. Nightjar calling, otherwise dead quiet apart from the crackling. Looking at the flames dancing through the golden liquid you can see your soul, and it is happy and at peace.
with that tee-up, we might forget our guns!? :A Quiet:

Got to be
deadvlei-namibia-9-july-2017-260nw-724943629.jpg

For me its far more about the company and the experience than the actual libation...

Something as simple as a little amarula over ice can be exquisite under the right conditions...

I've truly loved an ice cold castle at the end of a hot, dusty day on more than one occasion.. but truthfully, I wouldnt put castle on my top 25 beer choices list back here in the US..

Bell Beer (Ugandan) is by a huge margin my favorite African beer... but, again, I probably wouldnt touch it back here in the US if presented with other options.. it is in actuality only a marginally decent beer...

but... I associate Bell with some incredible times spent with a group of incredible men, when poking in and out of South Sudan over a period of about 4 years while I was frequenting that country 5 or 6 times a year.. and have wonderful memories of just sitting around a table after a really difficult day, bullshitting and enjoying life with great people... so.... Bell, by association, becomes a great beer :D

Gin Tonic is my standard poison. Environment and company are what really lead to a memorable/best drink. One of my most memorable Gin Tonics was when a young PH took us up to the top of a mountain on day one to see a beautiful sunset. He said, "I asked around and was told you and the Mrs. enjoy a Gin Tonic". He pulled three dusty cups out of the back of the vehicle; in the cool box he had a few cans of tonic, a bottle of Gordons and a lime (that he cut up with his skinning knife). When we each had a drink in our hands, he said, "Welcome to Africa! Here's to a great safari." And it was.

We will be hunting again with this young PH next month.

Safe hunting and stay thirsty my friends!

For my upcoming hunt I'll sample their beers.

I dumped out close to a $1000 worth of various whiskeys last January since I quit drinking them.

Sharing two jars of pure Tennessee Moonshine with the PHs at the end of the hunt. One jar clear as water had a little bite to it and the other was apple pie, and a bottle of Wild Turkey.

Bombay and tonic..mosi...amarula as dessert....and @Bob Nelson 35Whelen I save the strawberry and banana daiquiris for when am cruising the Caribbean... :E Big Grin: :D Beers:
@spike.t
To save hassle and disappointment with the local brews that I did try. To say they were absolute shit is an understatement. I took 2 bottles of Bundy RUM.
Bob

If I recall it was called Hansa , a beer I had in RSA.
Hansa beer, peanuts and raisins plus biltong, what else does one need to be happy? After settling in the old Northern Transvaal that was mainly our diet. Complemented by 'pap en sheeba‘. Wonderful memories are coming back.

Hansa and Windhoek beers are my favorites, Windhoek alcohol free is also excellent, one can drink it right through the day without getting drunk :giggle:

As far as a special drink I have an acute fondness for a shot of Amarula.
On our first safari to Namibia John our host always did a toast around the fire with a beautiful saying about each animal that was taken that day and a shot to each one. For whatever the reason each person had to hold the shot in the left hand and down the drink in one slurp in honor to the fallen animal. We now do the same here. Plus birthdays , weddings etc.
As far as beer I can drink most any. Windhoek, Castle etc all have their place for me.

50year old McCallan …. Out of this world but not worth the price! A hunter in camp brought it, it had been his retirement present from his wife and he brought it 12 years later on his “last” safari.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!