Best Drink You've Had on Safari?

After a long foot slog I’m rather partial to the old “steelworks” classic! I believe it was invented in the 50’s at the old Iscor country club (now Zwartkops)??

The history of Hansa has actually been erased by SA Breweries.
It originated in Swakopmund Namibia and the original labels used to show a map of Namibia with the brewery.
Then it was a map showing Namibia and SA , then only SA and now no map but the Saaz Hop.

I have visited the brewery near the pier there in Swakop, its owned by Nambia Breweries and probably makes Tafel now. (It was shut down many years ago apparently)

Bollinger's Lager from Zimbabwe has its own unique flavour.

Super Bock Mini in the 6 pack, straight from the bottle after a hard day's walk and stalk in the back lands of Logageng, North West don't last long...
Super%20Bock%20mini.jpeg

Hendrick's and tonic - the best warm weather drink on any continent.
If I'm drinking gin with anything other than ice, it's with Campari and ice. That is also quite refreshing in the heat

Bombay Sapphire
Bombay Far East
and lately, Tanqueray Rangpur.

It has to be Brandy and Coke
Was waiting for it. :E Doh: That is without question the vilest excuse for a drink that I have ever had offered to me on any continent (that includes some odd corners of Asia). A horrible thing to do to brandy (though I doubt anyone is pouring Maison Surrenne into a coke), and a worse way to treat an otherwise innocent Coca-Cola. :E Sick: I would rather drink Manica beer.

That is without question the vilest excuse for a drink that I have ever had offered to me on any continent (that includes some odd corners of Asia).
Mixed in the right proportions there's nothing that gets close to it

I agree if some hard core drinker pour you one it burns your tongue and it strips the enamel from your teeth!!!

It should be 25mm brandy per 300ml coke.
Not the other way around

Mixed in the right proportions there's nothing that gets close to it

I agree if some hard core drinker pour you one it burns your tongue and it strips the enamel from your teeth!!!

It should be 25mm brandy per 300ml coke.
Not the other way around
Oh Jeez. I have had this discussion before. You Boers truly do not understand this at all. :E Doh:

Brandy (preferably a true Cognac) should be 100% brandy of the best quality one can afford - in a sniffer at hand warming temperature and not polluted with anything else.

A bleeding Coca Cola should be a bleeding soda. :A Too Cool:

@Red Leg in the volumes we consume it we need to look at the cheaper options!! And that you cant get in your body without mixing it with coke.

I agree a good cognag is like a single malt, take it neat

But after a long hard day, i will then settle for a bleeding soda;)

@Red Leg in the volumes we consume it we need to look at the cheaper options!! And that you cant get in your body without mixing it with coke.

I agree a good cognag is like a single malt, take it neat

But after a long hard day, i will then settle for a bleeding soda;)
Fair enough Gerrit. Look forward to sharing something with you one day.

I always thought the worst excuse for drink is brunch!
;)

My safari drink is either water, or bottled beer - when guns are stored!

And from all the worldwide distributed commercial bottled beers, my choice would be Becks.... but sometimes one cannot choose...

Fair enough Gerrit. Look forward to sharing something with you one day.

At least something we agree on;) it would be a privilege to share a drink and camp together Joe

My favorite drink while on Safari? The last one.

Very much looking forward to the next one!

Hands down Mosi in Zambia! Really good beer, especially ice cold! One of the best beers in the entire world in my humble opinion

While a fan of Windhoek Draught and Castle, one of my favorite African hangovers was mainly caused by an abundance of Amarula.

Another was due to an ample amount of time taste testing Richelieu Brandy over ice. (I prefer cold cold cold)

That stuff should come with a body guard for those of us whose brakes go out after a few...but what a party around the fire on the last night of the hunt! That one got my attention the next day.

These were my drinking partners in crime on safari in 2018. Notice the late great Pieter Erasmus of Pawprint Safaris, on the left with his then girlfriend. That's my Castle on the bar at the bottom of the frame. Reckon I felt like getting up the next morning for a 5 mile buffalo stalk?

Screenshot_20210212-172628_Chrome.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont drink any kind of hard stuff or wine, (yuk!) so beer is all for me. On my first trip to RSA they had Amstel Lager in camp and I latched onto that right off. Not available in the states though except for Light, yuk again. Now that Heinekin bought out Amstel its hard to tell them apart.
Was wracking my brain to remember one we liked in Nambia last trip and it was Tafel Lager, really good. Of course Windhoek is always good, Zambezi Lager, Lion Lager and on it goes. Any beer is good on a hot dry day after the hunt is over.

If I'm drinking gin with anything other than ice, it's with Campari and ice. That is also quite refreshing in the heat

Bombay Sapphire
Bombay Far East
and lately, Tanqueray Rangpur.
@Sgt Zim
Next you know it will be strawberry dakerieson the porch of an Indian Maharajas place talking about your up coming tiger hunt.
Now that's something I would gladly do.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg